Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?

Lifer

Re: how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?

I'm so sorry I mentioned 821. I should have just lied and said it was an 1100.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I have ridden both the 1100 EVO SP and the new 939 SP. I own the 939 SP and love it. The 1100 had a bit heavier handling than my 939. It handled a lot like the older Duc's with very stable straight line handling. Today's Hyper handles lighter. Yes the 1100 air cooled motor was perfect power delivery for a motard but the 939 isn't bad either. I'll take the updated much lighter handling of the modern bike with the modern 4 valve poke.

Things you find out owning a new Hyper.
    1 - The racing seat is the only one that I found I can live with. The stock seat locks you into one spot.
    2 - The gas tank is tiny. It lists at 4.2 but at 3 gallons the lite comes on and that's good for just over 100 miles
    3 - It's a tall bike. You get on it and stop at a light like you are riding a woods bike with 34 inch seat height without much sag. Pretty much tippy toe on one foot for me.
    4 - Dank Whoolies Brah! Yup it wheelies really easily. If you like to ride wheelies then this bike will provoke you to ride one across the Charles River on the Mass Ave bridge as the walkers and bike riders cheer you on.
    5 - Good luck keeping you license with crap like that.

Send cash... I need a track day

Hahaa, yeah, I wouldn't actually trade my 821 for the 1100. I have the strada and love the lower height and integral bags. Whoolies with groceries. Sometime you have to be an adult, afterall. Oh, and it backs in to corners really easy. Just remember the eggs are in there...

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Thanks guys. I knew about the lousy range - does anyone have personal experience with the CA Cycleworks tanks?

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I helped install one on my buddies hyper awhile ago. It was a pain. Granted, it was when they first were coming out, the molds were shitty, he actually had to trim parts. I can only assume that they have gotten better.

I want a hyper so bad. Always have.

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    I helped install one on my buddies hyper awhile ago. It was a pain. Granted, it was when they first were coming out, the molds were shitty, he actually had to trim parts. I can only assume that they have gotten better.

I want a hyper so bad. Always have.
    I've used Chris' parts over the years, so I would hope he'd figure out the issues eventually. Not sure if a 100mi range would be a deal-breaker for me or not, as I'm not sure what kind of riding I'd end up actually doing on the thing. It's nice to know there's a fix out there, though.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Thanks guys. I knew about the lousy range - does anyone have personal experience with the CA Cycleworks tanks?
    I bought a 2012 Hyper 796 in November 2012 from SSC, had them install the CA Cycleworks tank first thing, I've experienced no problems, love the 300+ mile range, over 17K miles now, no problems with the bike.

As to to wind and weather, the Fabbri screen deflects a lot of air.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    And don't believe everything you think.

Nice lookin rig

My 821. I only have 3k on it, but no problems. Only thing I don't love is the grabby clutch.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?-20150801_091908-1-jpg  

Paul_E_D

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    I bought a 2012 Hyper 796 in November 2012 from SSC, had them install the CA Cycleworks tank first thing, I've experienced no problems, love the 300+ mile range, over 17K miles now, no problems with the bike.

As to to wind and weather, the Fabbri screen deflects a lot of air.

Beautiful bike! The 796 is supposed to be very economical and that engine is about 4 lbs lighter than the 696's engine!

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?

And my 2013 SP. Love this thing. From urban errands, to NJMP, to Sunday morning rides -- does it all.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by dhawks; 06-14-16 at 07:29 AM.
    /s/ Dustin
    LRRS #767
    '09 R6 / '11 848 Evo / '99 RS250

I really like the red/white/black color scheme. That stock exhaust, though, not so much!

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

The biggest thing I couldn't jibe with on the newer hypers was the fly-by-wire throttle. Zero feel, almost no resistance to turning the throttle tube (I swear it felt like it was floating) and coupled with the grabby-ish clutch I just never felt comfortable on it. I also only put maybe 10-20 miles on it, but I was very happy to get back on my analog / carb'd ZRX.....

CCS/LRRS #83

Yes, the joy of the original HM is in it's very analog-ness. The first-gen HM1100S (w/ a CCW tank) hit the top of my shortlist for what I would get if/when I ever need a new bike, and remains there. A mountain of torque, the most fun fun bike I've ever ridden.

The newer HM models, not so much. The HM821 had 15% more power, but 15% less torque. The riding position was dumbed down and the bike in general made less gonzo and more tamed. It's probably a better bike, but it lost the essence.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 06-14-16 at 10:13 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    It's probably a better bike, but it lost the essence. PhilB
    Sadly the case of much of Ducati's lineup these days as they shift evermore towards "mass" appeal.

CCS/LRRS #83

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Me, I gotta see fins, so I like the air-cooled Hyper. Oh yeah, I installed the Throttle Tamer throttle tube to, uh, tame the throttle response, and I re-geared it so that I can use more than the first three gears. Went -1/+2 on the sprockets. Running PR4s.

If I feel like going faster, I ride the N1K

Last edited by whynot; 06-14-16 at 10:37 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Yes, the joy of the original HM is in it's very analog-ness. The first-gen HM1100S (w/ a CCW tank) hit the top of my shortlist for what I would get if/when I ever need a new bike, and remains there. A mountain of torque, the most fun fun bike I've ever ridden.

The newer HM models, not so much. The HM821 had 15% more power, but 15% less torque. The riding position was dumbed down and the bike in general made less gonzo and more tamed. It's probably a better bike, but it lost the essence.

PhilB
    I actually think the new bike is MORE aggressive. The 4 valve motor combined with the ride by wire throttle is INSTANT response to your right hand. It revs to the moon and accelerates much more quickly than the air cooled bikes in my experience. the seating postion is a bit less radical, but I don't think it has lost the essence. Nor do I agree that any of the new ducs have. THey are better motorcycles, still beautifully styled, and still feel incredibly italian. I loved the air-cooled bikes, but I think the new ducs are some of the best overall bikes on the market.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    Sadly the case of much of Ducati's lineup these days as they shift evermore towards "mass" appeal.
    Yes and no.

I don't see the Panigales losing their Purity of Essence.
    The Scrambler is a fine bike for its purpose; it has much of the essence of the early Monsters.
    I've never quite grokked the essence of either the MultiStrada or the Diavel, but whatever it is, I can't say they're losing it.

The Monsters didn't lose their essence; they changed their essence from being a snazzy UJM (now transferred to the Scrambler) to being more of a Super Naked. (I was really impressed with the M821's riding experience.)

The StreetFighter's essence wasn't lost exactly; it got co-opted by the new Monsters.
    The HyperMotard is the only particular model that seems to me to have lost its essence.

On the other hand, Ducati itself seems to have lost something as a whole.
    They still make great bikes, but the only ones in the current lineup I'd be likely to spend my own money on are the M821, and maybe the Scrambler.

Hmmm.

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 06-14-16 at 11:19 AM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I actually think the new bike is MORE aggressive. The 4 valve motor combined with the ride by wire throttle is INSTANT response to your right hand. It revs to the moon and accelerates much more quickly than the air cooled bikes in my experience. the seating postion is a bit less radical, but I don't think it has lost the essence. Nor do I agree that any of the new ducs have. THey are better motorcycles, still beautifully styled, and still feel incredibly italian. I loved the air-cooled bikes, but I think the new ducs are some of the best overall bikes on the market.
    More aggressive, maybe, if you rev it. Revs to the moon, yes, but the beauty of the 1100 is that you'd didn't have to rev it to the moon; it was always hot to trot. Accelerates more quickly, but only if you rev it to the moon. See a theme here? No longer the essence of a hooligan sociopath, more of a tall sportbike.
    =====
    Here's my current shortlist -- all bikes with a lot of essence:
    Ducati HM1100S, first-gen.
    Ducati Streetfighter 1098
    Ducati Monster 821
    MOTUS MST-R
    Moto Guzzi Griso 8V

Alternates:
    KTM 1290 SuperDuke (if I could feel better about its reliability and durability)
    BMW K1600R (if they were to build such a thing)
    Buell CR1190 (if they were to build such a thing, and I could feel better that the company will be around for a while)

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 06-14-16 at 12:18 PM.

What are your thoughts on the non-adjustable suspension. I sat on one this past weekend and I love how tiny it feels, and it's more upright than my Monster. But if the suspension sucks, it might be a deal breaker.

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

I dunno, I don't worry much about suspension on a street bike. I push so hard on track and MX that I think I could ride street on pogo stix. That said, I can't get the suspension on this thing to wallow or get confused. It handles rough pavement way better than expected. Ken Condon, Zack Courts, a few of my most respected riders agree, so it's not just me.

It's non adjustable, and certainly an odd design, but it does the job for me. I weigh 130lbs on a fat day. But Ken and Zack weigh more and had the same assessment...

I'm not ever tracking the bike, cause I don't really want to know where it falls short. For my uses it is more than good enough.

Paul_E_D

I dunno, I don't worry much about suspension on a street bike. I push so hard on track and MX that I think I could ride street on pogo stix. That said, I can't get the suspension on this thing to wallow or get confused. It handles rough pavement way better than expected. Ken Condon, Zack Courts, a few of my most respected riders agree, so it's not just me.

It's non adjustable, and certainly an odd design, but it does the job for me. I weigh 130lbs on a fat day. But Ken and Zack weigh more and had the same assessment...

I'm not ever tracking the bike, cause I don't really want to know where it falls short. For my uses it is more than good enough.
    I have a customer that traded his street R1 for a new Hypermotard 821 a few years ago and he loves the non adjustable suspension both on the street and for track days. When he told me his track experience, I suggested the Hyper SP version but he said he couldn't be happier.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottg22 View Post
    I have a customer that traded his street R1 for a new Hypermotard 821 a few years ago and he loves the non adjustable suspension both on the street and for track days. When he told me his track experience, I suggested the Hyper SP version but he said he couldn't be happier.
    Experience as in what level/group he rides in for track days?

Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul.

Current: 2016 S1000XR. Past: S1000R, Streefighter S, Monter S2R1000, RC51, CBR600

What is this adjustable soospenshun you speak of? We don't even adjust our hairs.

OK didnt mean to hijack with this Diavel pic. Actually I keep telling myself stay away from the Hyper SP - but its so cool, I am tempted to get one at some point.

2013 ZX6R-636

Eatibus almost anythingus Marc R's Avatar

I was following an 821 HM in the blue group, he looked smooth and relaxed. Spoke with him about the non adjustable suspension, not a concern.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    a big, smooth, wicked powerful dirt bike on street tires
    sounds sublime

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast