Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?

Lifer

Re: how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?

Sublime. No, that's not the word I'd use.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

OK, I just took my Hyper out with Ken Condon dirt roading. The bike is bizarrely good in the dirt. The traction control system works so well that I want the bike in full power mode. 110HP. Pin the throttle and do perfect rear wheel drifts while still driving forward amazingly well.

The ABS on the other hand sucks. Next adventure ride I will customize the touring map to have no ABS and TC set at 3.

The 17 front posed no real problems, but the bike is way more sure steering from the back, as opposed to turning with the front. With that TC working it's magic, I felt more comfortable drifting this than I did my actual supermoto. The COG is tight to the center and pretty low. Seat and bar positing feel almost MXy once you leave the pavement.

The rear brake pedal is strangely low to activate, making it useless while standing. I will have to look into that. I know it's adjusted all the way up.

Paul_E_D

I honestly don't know why you don't see more Hyper* ADV builds. It seems to me it's the perfect platform and delivers everything someone like Bubba says they want in an ADV bike.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Pinned View Post
    I honestly don't know why you don't see more Hyper* ADV builds. It seems to me it's the perfect platform and delivers everything someone like Bubba says they want in an ADV bike.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
    That's a very good point. There is a big tank available. I see people converting the MTS to an ADV bike which finally made Ducati come out with the Enduro. Since the Hyperstrada was not too successful, how about a Hyper Enduro model to compete with the likes of the F800GS/Tiger800/Africa Twin

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Lifer

Virtually no aftermarket support in that respect. IIRC Givi doesn't even make side racks for this thing.

Honestly ADV touring doesn't seem to be Ducati's forte. I'm not really sure their customer base are into this sort of thing. Although the new Multi "enduro" is a definite step in the right direction. If they trickled that concept down to the hyper I think that'd be pretty swell. 19/17 wheel setup like my 'strom. A common wheel size to leverage the (awesome) tire options available in that format nowadays. Slightly wider, more plush seat. Quarter fairing with just a smidge more protection. I'd be a winner.

Throw cruise control in and you'd have me ready to sign.

The ~4 gallon tank seems reasonable to me. (Edit: Although I'd miss the range of nearly 6.)

The engine and sound are marvelous. The brakes are better than 98% of us. And I dig the SSSA.

Last edited by nhbubba; 07-13-16 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    That's a very good point. There is a big tank available. I see people converting the MTS to an ADV bike which finally made Ducati come out with the Enduro. Since the Hyperstrada was not too successful, how about a Hyper Enduro model to compete with the likes of the F800GS/Tiger800/Africa Twin
    A hyper enduro would lay waste to those bikes! The riding position and weight balance alone are far superior. The motor and TC as well. As long as they don't go changing it into what the competitors are. tall top heavy and soft. Keep it edgy and on the motard side of the spectrum.

Paul_E_D

Take an old Monster and some long travel suspension mod and you got how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?-e792f63a82a79ef81bcdb979d256feae-jpg Boom! ADV bike.

Take a Hypermotard and toss on some searious 17"knobs and you have this. how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?-12063257_537829579718764_1629157410_n-jpg
    It's all fun until I need to put my foot down.

Send cash... I need a track day

Lifer

Adventure bike != dirt bike.

I would not ride either of those to Alaska.

This is a big ask, but.. does anyone have a Hypermotard they'd let me ride for an hour or two? I'm really struggling with the VFR as I get a decent amount of pain in my legs and hips from the seating position.

You'd be willing to ride with me, of course, and I would pay for gas and beer afterwards.

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I have a Hypermotard demos at the store -Seacoast Sport Cycle in Derry NH - both a 2015 Hyper 821 and a 2016 Hyper 939. We can arrange for a longer test ride and I have both demos offered for sale along with new Hyper 939's.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

We also have a 2016 Hyper 939 SP we took in trade (Hi Tom)

uh wth...hyper on dirt?

is the suspension even long enough for dirt roads?

love that power and riding position...but I'd imagine it running out of suspenders over the first few rocks

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    uh wth...hyper on dirt?

is the suspension even long enough for dirt roads?

love that power and riding position...but I'd imagine it running out of suspenders over the first few rocks
    The HyperMotard will do fine on dirt roads. Gravel roads, fire roads, anything you could call a road will be fine. It would probably handle two-track just fine as well. Goat paths, cross-country, rock climbing, not so much. But anywhere there is a halfway decent path, you'd be fine.

Sounds like, though, the OP (number9) wasn't interested in off-road particularly; but rather is looking for a taller bike that will put less strain on his hip joints when road riding.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Lifer

Gen 6 VFR => Hyper is gunna be a big change. Hyper is very motard like.
    Not to say you won't dig it. Way fun bike.
    I would definitely go see Scott and demo one if you have the opportunity.

fwiw, I never thought a hyper felt motard like. Feels like a tall supersport with Ducati grunt and quick steering.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

My 821 Hyper feels more like a motard than my KTM690 did. This thing is stupidly easy to back in to corners. Something the 690 was never that comfortable doing.

It is not super grunty like a real motard though. Much more of a revver. This is good and bad. Good because it makes it a useful roadbike, bad because, well, it's not lifting the front wheel everywhere it goes.

Paul_E_D

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post

Take a Hypermotard and toss on some searious 17"knobs and you have this. how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?-12063257_537829579718764_1629157410_n-jpg
    It's all fun until I need to put my foot down.
    What tires are those? Make and model?

Thanks.

And don't believe everything you think.

Lifer

Continental TKC 80, methinks. They are making them in 17 sizes like 150/70-17. You're seeing them on more and more SMs these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    It is not super grunty like a real motard though. Much more of a revver. This is good and bad. Good because it makes it a useful roadbike, bad because, well, it's not lifting the front wheel everywhere it goes.
    Paul, have you had a chance to ride the 1100? I feel like mine is grunty as fvck, front wheel comes up anywhere and everywhere. I wish I could throw a leg over the water cooled versions so I could get a first hand comparison, but I've read what you confirm, more of a rever and a great road bike, maybe a little less visceral (has this already been discussed...)?

Certainly something the OP should test ride considering the bike he's coming from, oh, and both versions if possible!

Hyper

I have ridden the original hyper but not the second gen 1100. Mine is a MUCH more road friendly beast. I would not say it is less visceral. Although it is not as torquey, it accelerates like a superbike and the throttle is the most direct I have ever sampled (in sport mode). The bike is both smooth and violent. When you do wheelie it goes skyward with shocking speed. Hard to control. It is a refined animal. But an animal all the same.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    Sounds like, though, the OP (number9) wasn't interested in off-road particularly; but rather is looking for a taller bike that will put less strain on his hip joints when road riding.

PhilB
    Yep, that's exactly what I'm looking for! I might try out Scottie's ZRX as well.

I certainly couldn't recommend Scott G. and Seacoast more highly, but to the extent there is additional need, I have a 2013 Hyper SP (821) you could try. And deep down, in a dark place, nowhere near my power animal, part of me is considering selling it.

Anyway, possibility of doing a double testride as well, as I live close to Scottie.

/s/ Dustin
    LRRS #767
    '09 R6 / '11 848 Evo / '99 RS250

I traded my brandy new Hypermotard 939 SP (with factory heated grips) in for the Aprilia Tuono Factory. I had issues with the seat height in lane splitting role around the Boston surface streets. Literately my feet don't touch the ground unless I slide to one side or the other. This bike probably should have one of those "You must be taller than" signs next to it in the dealership. Stupid fun but not for when you need to stop. The Aprilia on the other hand is difficult to get to the shop for its 600mile service. I can't stop riding the thing. But that's another thread I need to write.

Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by dhawks View Post
    I certainly couldn't recommend Scott G. and Seacoast more highly, but to the extent there is additional need, I have a 2013 Hyper SP (821) you could try. And deep down, in a dark place, nowhere near my power animal, part of me is considering selling it.

Anyway, possibility of doing a double testride as well, as I live close to Scottie.

Is this offer still available? I'm in Waltham, so close to Scottie as well!

I see you pulled the trigger, congrats!

Hyper

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast