Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?

Re: how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?

Add me to the list of Hypermotard owners, picked mine up yesterday after seeing it at Seacoast's Fashion Show / Holiday Party. Always knew I wanted one, never thought it would take this long.. I just went for a short rip - traction control does work (cold tires/ground)

how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?-20161123_121434-jpg

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Nice! I want one bad, need to sell my 848 first.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    I see you pulled the trigger, congrats!
    Yeah, I should post pics.

how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?-img_7956-jpg

It's still down in Texas. I gotta go pick it up...

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Check out Forward Air (trucking), they have small containers that hold a bike. If I recall correctly they are reasonable.

Expedited Linehaul (LTL) | Leaders in Expedited Ground Transportation | Forward Air

http://www.w6rec.com/duane/bmw/forwardair/1.jpg

Who is the current hotness for axle & frame sliders. Puig?

Quote Originally Posted by CMG241 View Post
    Add me to the list of Hypermotard owners, picked mine up yesterday after seeing it at Seacoast's Fashion Show / Holiday Party. Always knew I wanted one, never thought it would take this long.. I just went for a short rip - traction control does work (cold tires/ground)

how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?-20161123_121434-jpg
    The TC is indeed excellent. Even on dirt, the bike is never gutted by it. Only enhanced. The ABS on the other hand, I
    m ready to rip that shit right off the bike. Sucks ass.

Paul_E_D

Not in the market but dayum

DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100

Quote Originally Posted by Crimedog View Post
    Not in the market but dayum

DUCATI HYPERMOTARD 1100
    Drool

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

I'm really happy that's not a black S.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

love mine! always puts a smile on my face.
    can also do road trips if i want.
    how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?-2016-06-24-18-43-a
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?-2016-08-13-17-13-a  

Fair warning, I am not a ducati guy. Don't really follow them or anything.....Am I crazy to consider trading my 12 Striple R for a 2008 Hyper 1100? There is one for sale locally, could even be a straight trade for my bike. Hyper has 15k on it.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Fair warning, I am not a ducati guy. Don't really follow them or anything.....Am I crazy to consider trading my 12 Striple R for a 2008 Hyper 1100? There is one for sale locally, could even be a straight trade for my bike. Hyper has 15k on it.
    Your Striple R is probably worth a little more than the Duc. They are very different and hard to compare. if you are not a Ducati guy, it may be difficult to understand. The Triple has a much smoother engin, is lighter, and feels more refined. The Duc has more torque (though you would need to change the gearing), is more raw, and feels more visceral. Both are excellent bikes. It depends what you are looking for. The hypermotard is slightly more focused

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Hyper's service history? What is due?

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Your Striple R is probably worth a little more than the Duc. They are very different and hard to compare. if you are not a Ducati guy, it may be difficult to understand. The Triple has a much smoother engin, is lighter, and feels more refined. The Duc has more torque (though you would need to change the gearing), is more raw, and feels more visceral. Both are excellent bikes. It depends what you are looking for. The hypermotard is slightly more focused
    I don't have an end goal other than having fun on the bike. I ride about 1/10th as much as I used to, so when I get out I like to make it count. No two up or long trips are in my near future with out first kid due. The bike will be for having fun on my commute and the occasional solo jaunt

I don't have an end goal other than having fun on the bike. I ride about 1/10th as much as I used to, so when I get out I like to make it count. No two up or long trips are in my near future with out first kid due. The bike will be for having fun on my commute and the occasional solo jaunt
    This is my motorcycling reality these days, the Hyper delivers in spades.

Hyper

The 08 I'm eyeing is right in my wheelhouse for price. What's your input on the age of the bike? How are maintenance costs?

The 08 I'm eyeing is right in my wheelhouse for price. What's your input on the age of the bike? How are maintenance costs?
    I've got an 08' 1100, bought 3 years ago with 12,000 miles, I've put around 8,000 on the bike.

I'm far from a Ducati guru, what I hear about this engine is all positive though, and in the service I've done to it I can confirm it's a pretty simple design, my expectation is that longevity isn't an issue if standard maintenance is followed.

As far as maintenance costs... I spent a couple hundred bucks right off the bat for the obnoxious Ducati specific tools necessary for, everything... But, I'm saving on the other end by doing all the service myself, most expensive of which seems to be checking and adjusting valves and replacing the cam belts. If you're going to pay someone to do that I think you're looking at $1000+ every 6,000 miles.

With 3 kids, a wife, an ex-wife and a house my riding time isn't what it used to be, but this bike is absolutely perfect for my type of riding and my 42 year old body.

Oh, I genuinely think any potential Hypermotard owner should consider that wheelies are so fun and easy on this bike it's crazy. I consider myself a pretty responsible guy but anytime that bike comes to a stop I'm lifting the front wheel, anytime I'm in 1st gear I'm lifing the front, anytime I'm in 2nd gear I'm lifting the front, anytime I'm...

Last edited by jeantarrou; 01-18-17 at 12:04 AM.
    Hyper

The 08 I'm eyeing is right in my wheelhouse for price.
    If you're eyeing the 08 in Warwick, RI you should ask where the monoblocs are that are standard on all S models.

Hyper

If you're eyeing the 08 in Warwick, RI you should ask where the monoblocs are that are standard on all S models.
    Got a link to the ad? I might have test-ridden it.

Nope, looking at this one here

2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100 Motorcycles Springfield Massachusetts N/A

The tank issue scares me a bit. I don't know what models or years were affected by that, I just know kind of anecdotally about it. I'm gonna try to grab the vin number and see what Valley motorsports can tell me about the bike by running the vin.

Oh also, what's the deal with dry clutches? Will it last as long as a standard clutch? Does that require any special maintenance?

I'm kind of at the point where I just want a wheelie machine. Doesn't have to practical or comfortable. Just want something stupid fast that will pick the front end up.

Last edited by 01xj; 01-18-17 at 12:44 PM.

The tank issue scares me a bit. I don't know what models or years were affected by that, I just know kind of anecdotally about it. I'm gonna try to grab the vin number and see what Valley motorsports can tell me about the bike by running the vin. (I had 3 replaced out of warranty by contacting Ducati North America, they are easy to work with in my experience.)

Oh also, what's the deal with dry clutches? Will it last as long as a standard clutch? Does that require any special maintenance? (Feel and sound are different especially when wet riding, no special maintenance and they last comparably to dry in my experience.)

I'm kind of at the point where I just want a wheelie machine. Doesn't have to practical or comfortable. Just want something stupid fast that will pick the front end up. (Just buy anything with more than a 500cc engine and handlebars)
    imo

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

The tank issue scares me a bit. I don't know what models or years were affected by that, I just know kind of anecdotally about it. I'm gonna try to grab the vin number and see what Valley motorsports can tell me about the bike by running the vin.

Oh also, what's the deal with dry clutches? Will it last as long as a standard clutch? Does that require any special maintenance?

I'm kind of at the point where I just want a wheelie machine. Doesn't have to practical or comfortable. Just want something stupid fast that will pick the front end up.
    I never had any tank swelling issues, but I Caswell coated it anyway. IMO it isn't cost prohibitive, it's really easy to do, and I like the piece of mind.

That's a really great price for that bike, but you'll definitely want to know if the Termi's were installed along with the corresponding DP (Ducati Performance) ECU. If not there's a 99% chance you'll want/need a PC/Bazazz or another brand fuel management system, even with the DP ECU you may want to adjust the fueling...

Someone with more experience can speak to the longevity of dry clutches, mine's been trouble free though. But, my clutch basket is getting notched up pretty good, and louder, from those rattling clutch plates, from what I've read I probably should replace the basket soon.

I asked around and researched all the same questions you seem to have, my bike has been truly trouble free and so much fun to ride. My only gripe would be the cost of everything labeled Ducati... Tools, parts, gear, apparel, it's over the top.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Got a link to the ad? I might have test-ridden it.
    2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s - with alarm, new battery, many more acc

Hyper

The tank issue is mainly a worry for the PA6 Nylon tanks that had a smooth finish and paint. The HDPE tanks that were hidden by external covers (as on this model) were much less of a problem. You may want to get the CA Cycleworks 6.4-gallon tank anyway.

Dry clutches feel different, but work just fine. Longevity isn't a problem. They're noisy. They're easier to inspect and service.

Wheelie machine -- you'd have that. The 1100 aircooled 2-valve has a mountain of torque.

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    You may want to get the CA Cycleworks 6.4-gallon tank anyway.
    Hyper owners on the Duc forums love those bigger tanks, but it prohibits the stacks and pod filter upgrade which is a great bang for your buck power increase, and if you're not touring often then 100 miles to a tank is liveable IMO.

Hyper

Hyper owners on the Duc forums love those bigger tanks, but it prohibits the stacks and pod filter upgrade which is a great bang for your buck power increase, and if you're not touring often then 100 miles to a tank is liveable IMO.
    Agreed, every Duc I ride has a 100 mile tank in my head. Either from big hp sucking fuel or a small tank design...always ends up being 100 miles which is fine by me. I need to stretch my legs anyway.

Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast