Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?

Re: how many Hypermotard owners do we have here?

Nah, that's not the one I was thinking of. But what's with those fucking tires?!

I got my '08 1100 S for $4800, I think, down in Texas. Yeah, it's gonna cost me money to ship it back here, but there are some bargains around if you can look outside of NNE.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Quote Originally Posted by number9 View Post
    Nah, that's not the one I was thinking of. But what's with those fucking tires?!

I got my '08 1100 S for $4800, I think, down in Texas. Yeah, it's gonna cost me money to ship it back here, but there are some bargains around if you can look outside of NNE.
    I used motorcycleshippers.com - I'd expect them to charge you roughly $600 bucks to ship to your door with $7k in insurance.

They strap it to a pallet and are very professional from my one experience. I'd use them again.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Central Mass Powersports #123

1000rr, zx10r, rmz450, RE classic, r6, S4Rs, xr123, sv650(2), cr250 and a box truck that leaks power steering fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    Hyper owners on the Duc forums love those bigger tanks, but it prohibits the stacks and pod filter upgrade which is a great bang for your buck power increase, and if you're not touring often then 100 miles to a tank is liveable IMO.
    I'd get the tank. For me, that bike needs added range more than it needs added power. 100 miles per tank is not livable with my usage. That's exactly why the MV Agusta Brutale (4-cyl) and the original KTM SuperDuke never made my shortlist, and I'm sketchy on the Aprilia Tuono V4. The new SuperDukes have a bigger tank for more range, and therefore now are a valid alternative.

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    Agreed, every Duc I ride has a 100 mile tank in my head. Either from big hp sucking fuel or a small tank design...always ends up being 100 miles which is fine by me. I need to stretch my legs anyway.
    My M900 Monster came with a 200-mile range, and I like that. Less than 150 is a real demerit on my report card.

lol. That's for the "Motard" part of "HyperMotard".

PhilB

Last edited by PhilB; 01-18-17 at 03:26 PM.
    "A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

100 mile range is a PIA even just riding around for a couple hours in western mass...there's some long stretches with no gas!

Quote Originally Posted by cdovego View Post
    imo
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jeantarrou View Post
    I never had any tank swelling issues, but I Caswell coated it anyway. IMO it isn't cost prohibitive, it's really easy to do, and I like the piece of mind.

That's a really great price for that bike, but you'll definitely want to know if the Termi's were installed along with the corresponding DP (Ducati Performance) ECU. If not there's a 99% chance you'll want/need a PC/Bazazz or another brand fuel management system, even with the DP ECU you may want to adjust the fueling...

Someone with more experience can speak to the longevity of dry clutches, mine's been trouble free though. But, my clutch basket is getting notched up pretty good, and louder, from those rattling clutch plates, from what I've read I probably should replace the basket soon.

I asked around and researched all the same questions you seem to have, my bike has been truly trouble free and so much fun to ride. My only gripe would be the cost of everything labeled Ducati... Tools, parts, gear, apparel, it's over the top.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for your feedback, definitely appreciate it. I might shoot you a PM with a few more questions if you don't mind.

2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100s - with alarm, new battery, many more acc
    Quote Originally Posted by PhilB View Post
    The tank issue is mainly a worry for the PA6 Nylon tanks that had a smooth finish and paint. The HDPE tanks that were hidden by external covers (as on this model) were much less of a problem. You may want to get the CA Cycleworks 6.4-gallon tank anyway.

Dry clutches feel different, but work just fine. Longevity isn't a problem. They're noisy. They're easier to inspect and service.

Wheelie machine -- you'd have that. The 1100 aircooled 2-valve has a mountain of torque.

PhilB
    Having to replace a fuel tank right off the whack would be a big hit financially so I'd really need to avoid it, or look into options like the casewell coating. I'm hoping valley motorsports can tell me if the bike is affected based on the VIN

Caswell is not perfect. I had two bikes done with it both Ducati. Both still swelled. Three tanks I have gone through on the sportclassic.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    Caswell is not perfect. I had two bikes done with it both Ducati. Both still swelled. Three tanks I have gone through on the sportclassic.
    Wow, I've never heard of anyone who had swelling after a Caswell coating, any chance the application was sub-par?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    Thanks for your feedback, definitely appreciate it. I might shoot you a PM with a few more questions if you don't mind.
    Certainly, anytime.

Hyper

Negative, I had a reputable shop do each. Believe it or not, the caswell started to come off on the inside. Caldwell is not a fool proof fix.

Ducati/MV Agusta/Kawasaki/Beta
    Boston Tier 1 Racing/ Fishtail Instructor
    DP Brakes Northeast Road Racing Representative

Quote Originally Posted by theducman View Post
    Negative, I had a reputable shop do each. Believe it or not, the caswell started to come off on the inside. Caldwell is not a fool proof fix.
    Man, that sucks, how long after applying did it start peeling?

Hyper

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Lots of Caswell fail stories on the britbike.com forum.

When I got my Hyper new in 2012, I went for the CA Cycleworks tank first thing. Love the 300 mile range.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    And don't believe everything you think.

Hypertarded

I picked up one of the first Hypers to hit the shops in 08, still on my original tank with no "swell" issues at all. Maybe one of the good points of the 3.4gal/100 mile tank is that it's constantly empty / being turned over.

Finally got my ass down to Austin to ride the '08 1100S. And with that, what are you guys doing for suspension?

I'm on the heavier side (220lbs) so I might need stiffer springs up front. I believe factory front springs are progressively wound, and most people go linear in the aftermarket. As far as I know both the front forks and rear shock are all stock.

Lifer

Finally got my ass down to Austin to ride the '08 1100S. And with that, what are you guys doing for suspension?

I'm on the heavier side (220lbs) so I might need stiffer springs up front. I believe factory front springs are progressively wound, and most people go linear in the aftermarket. As far as I know both the front forks and rear shock are all stock.

Does the 1100S need anything done to its suspension? I thought the Ohlins are great.

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    Does the 1100S need anything done to its suspension? I thought the Ohlins are great.
    It's an S, yeah. The regular bikes have Kayaba forks, the S bikes have Marzocchi forks. Neither of them are known to be particularly fancy setups...

Lifer

I see...my bad. I thought the Marzocchi forks were actually good as well from here 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - Motorcycle USA
    "A fully-adjustable 50mm DLC-coated Marzocchi long-travel fork with a matching Marchesini 17″ front wheel and 120-series Pirelli tire do a stellar job of absorbing road imperfections and remain well composed throughout all the riding environments we could throw at it on the street or the track."

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I see...my bad. I thought the Marzocchi forks were actually good as well from here 2008 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - Motorcycle USA
    "A fully-adjustable 50mm DLC-coated Marzocchi long-travel fork with a matching Marchesini 17″ front wheel and 120-series Pirelli tire do a stellar job of absorbing road imperfections and remain well composed throughout all the riding environments we could throw at it on the street or the track."
    I'm far from a fast rider - in fact I'm a slow rider - but the front end feels vague and kinda weightless, if that makes sense.

I'm quite a bit heavier than your typical Italian test rider, so heavier springs make sense. The consensus on The Interwebs is that the progressive front springs are rated to ~0.65kg/mm for a ~160lb rider. I have no idea how accurate those figures are, but I'm certainly heavier (220lbs) than your average Italian test jockey.

Lifer

Point taken. They are designed for lighter riders.

Anyone here run a steering damper on their Hyper? Worthwhile investment?

I've ridden with one and without, both on the street and on the track, and I'm of the opinion that with a properly setup bike (suspension wise) there is absolutely no need for a damper.

None on mine. Haven't considered it

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

New to this forum, I have a '10 796. Not registered at the moment but last year I was using it as a rain bike for track days. Thinking about putting it back on the road for this year as I will no longer be street riding my zx6.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456