Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Idle problem?

Idle problem?

Hi, okay, I just encountered a very wierd situation a few minutes ago. I was leaving work to pick up some odds and ends for today's Game 1 of the CABA World Series, when, as I was shifting into second gear, I must not of shifted hard enough because it stuck in "N"eutral and wound the shit out of the gear. Then a little ways down the road I came behind a van and felt a little vibration from my engine and heard a semi-rumbling noise while I was sitting there. Well, at the next light I was next to that same van and heard it again only, I listened to my engine and sounded like it was coming from underneath. Then, I looked up and noticed it was idling a 1500RPM. I read in that $60.00 Manual that it should be set to idle @ 1000RPM. Is this normal to occur? It has 3,112 miles if that helps any. I'm pretty nervous that it might be something serious so please let me know. Thank you so much in advance.

Sincerely,

Matt

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    For those who hate on the V-Twin's power....

G O F U C K Y O U R S E L F !

PS : Check out my site for a few pics
    and info about my bike updated
    weekly. Ride safe!

www.angelfire.com/realm2/2001suzukisv650s

Idle problem?

Matt,

I have found that all the suzuki's have a weird transmittion box. I had an SV and now a GSX-R. I have missed second on both bikes. My SV missed a little more than the GSX-R though so this is something that happens. In terms of idling in neutral it's not great for the bike but as long as you didn't redline for a while it should be fine. I pounded the shit out of my SV and it never had a problem. Could it have been your cooling fan that you were hearing when you stopped at the light? It's a little loud and today being extremely hot - it was definately on when you stopped at the light.

Personally I think it was the fan but if you don't think so put it on the kickstand and let it run for a while. Once the temp goes up the fan will kick on and see if that is the sound that you heard.

let me know if this was it.

-Jeff

Lifer

Idle problem?

Not sure what you read in the manual. I thought idle speed was supposed to be around 1300-1500.

I know mine is in that range once it warms up. If it's idling slower than than it makes the on/off throttle transition a lot more jerky.

Ben

Banned

Idle problem?

Probably a scored cam.....

Seriously, I don't think you should worry about it. Just adjust the idle back down and see how it goes
    Degsy

Idle problem?

Check the carbs, and make sure one didn't pop out of the boot.
    Heck, check them anyway, the clamps are always loose.

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

Idle problem?

Sweet! Thank you all a ton. To be honest, I didn't think it was a big deal. Actually, I feel like the bike sounds more bad ass at 1500RPM @ idle than it did at 1k. I will check the carbs, hopefully rejettem' soon. I'll let you know what my problem is tomorrow once I take a good thorough look around. In the mean time...ride safe!

PS- This calls for an ice cold refreshing Mike's Hard Iced
    Tea!

Matt

weekly. Ride safe!

Factory Pro site pink sheet

vac leak or lean ? Check the carbs, and make sure one didn't pop out of the boot.
    Heck, check them anyway, the clamps are always loose. (tlr)

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Idle problem?

If you're missing shifts, you may wanna consider turning your shift linkage around and going with 'GP' shifting. You'd be amazed at what a difference it does for your shifting accuracy. Most people will argue that there's no need for that on the street. But now that I've gone that route, I'll NEVER own a streetbike and keep the 'regular' shift pattern again. Takes about 2-1/2 minutes to do...

Ask RandyO. He's done it to his SV...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Idle problem?

BTW, idle speed on the SV is supposed to be 1300 rpm... so 1500 isn't that far off... i find that my sv once it has warmed up will idle somewhere between 1300 and 1500. When its cold, it idles at 1300 on the button.

Very ez to miss second on the SV, has happened numerous times to me.

What is GP shift pattern?

Chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Banned

Idle problem?

GP shifting is where you reverse the linkage to shift once up from neutral for 1st, then down to go "up" through the gears. Race bikes use this so that you don't have to get your toes under the shifter to shift up a gear when banked over in a left hand turn. I do this to my street bikes also. Takes about an hour to get used to, then most people love it.

degsy

Idle problem?

'GP' shifting is just a great set up. When people ask me why I use it on the street, I use this analogy: How often do you miss a DOWN shift? "Never" is usually the answer. Then I ask 'em how clean and precise their downshifts are. "Spot on" is usually the answer, usually followed with something like, "..but how can I miss a downshift?" And that usually just pretty much proves the point I'm trying to make...

Try it out. But keep it like that for a coupla weeks 'til you're really used to it. You'll be amazed at how crisp and accurate your shifting is with it set up like that...

Idle problem?

Could you give a quick idea of how to change the shifting?

It sounds pretty cool. And would def. be easier for quick shifting.

Idle problem?

It's just a matter of switching the linkage around. The linkage runs from the your shift lever to the shift shaft. I'm not sure how it's situated now on the SV though. But if it's connected to the shift shaft at the bottom, just loosen the pinch bolt and turn it 'over' so that it now connects at the top. Or vice versa. Just be sure to mark where your lever is before you do it, or you may end up having to fuck with your lever to get it where you want it to be. Shouldn't take you any longer than five minutes...

If you're still unsure, bring it by the NESR Racing tent this weekend at NHIS and I'll do it for ya...

Idle problem?

hmmm, sounds interesting. I think it might take me a while to get used to that though...

maybe i'll try it out.

if there are any svriders that have this setup, i would be curious as to the difficulty level of setting it up and then possibly setting it back to 'normal'... i mean it can't be just as simple as reversing the shift linkage... or can it?

chris

But when we ride very fast motorcycles, we ride with immaculate sanity. We might abuse a substance here and there, but only when it's right. The final measure of any rider's skill is the inverse ratio of his preferred Traveling Speed to the number of bad scars on his body. It is that simple: If you ride fast and crash, you are a bad rider. If you go slow and crash, you are a bad rider. And if you are a bad rider, you should not ride motorcycles.

Idle problem?

It is indeed just THAT simple!!! Even the bumbler should be able to do it in less than five minutes...

It may take ya a coupla weeks to get entirely used to. But give it time, you'll love it once ya get used to it...

Idle problem?

where's randy?

'course, *everything* is easy to randy. even taming mountain bike trails on his SV.

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

Idle problem?

Seriously. If anyone wants this done, and is apprehensive about doing it yourself just bring your bike to the NESR Racing tent at NHIS this weekend. I'll do it while we're waiting for Degsy & Gerard's races...

Idle problem?

thought about swapping mine around when we did our tires..... I looked, I think I have a big thing called a fairing in the way. But anyway I'll have another look at it and maybe Saturday????

2001 RC51!!!
    2007 Husky SMR 510 - no longer... blown tranny

Idle problem?

There aren't too many bikes out there that this can't be easily done on. I know there are a few that require a special linkage 'kit' to be purchased though. The R1's come to mind 'cuz the linkage passes through the frame. Otherwise, it really isn't that different a set up than the stock set up...

Idle problem?

i know of one italian bike that it cant be done on easily. actually i noticed most zook's can be set up, i havent seen one personally that cant be, but most hondas actually have shit in the way to prevent the easy setup. I never noticed anything on the kawasucki's.

for those of you going to do it... he he, i said do it! heh ehehe.

anyways, its easy to get used, the only thing you have to be careful of, is when you get to your first couple of street lights... i myself had a tenedency to tap the shifter... and at several lights i found myself in the complete wrong end of the gear spectrum several times and wondered.. why the fuck does it keep trying to stall when i let the clutch out???!?!?! WTF.

D'OH!

once you get used to it... its smooth as butter.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Idle problem?

hehe, yup, thats exactly what i would envision i would do in that situation... i'd be tapping down furiously as i applied the breaks only to find myself in 6th wondering

anyhow, i'll give it a shot maybe in a month or so when i put the lower fairing on, and the other goodies

Chris

Idle problem?

Okay, I'm guessing the "GP" shifting stands for Grand Prix? I may sound like an idiot for asking, but I'll take the risk! This is for RandyO----> It definatly sounds like an awesome change. How would I go about doing such a thing? Stone...you say it'll take about two and a half minutes? It can't be that hard than. I'm always interested in new mods that don't require a garage.

Now, about my little problem...this morning I started her up, turned the choke off and it was still at 1.5k. About a mile into my little journey I took off from a light to beat the next one (with extreme caution!!) while idling at the 1.5k came to another light and BAMB! it was back down to 1k again. Now if that isn't some wierd fuckin' shit, than somebody please tell me what the fuck is!

Ehhh Emmm! ::::clearing throat:::: Pardon my Frech!

Okay, well, anyway, now my question is...that little knob that I'm supposed to turn, the idle knob, how many turns to go from 1kRPM to 1300-1500? Also, can I do it while the bike is running?

Thank you all for the input! I fell like I'm talking to a whole new family on here. Thanks again in advance.

Matt

This goes to all of you who make my riding experience more enjoyable and safe!

Cheers!

weekly. Ride safe!

Banned

Idle problem?

Yep, just turn it while it is running. about 1/8 of a turn will probably = 300-500rpm.

Degsy

Idle problem?

You HAFTA do it while it's running! And warmed up too. Check your owner's manual. It'll tell ya exactly what to turn and what why to turn it. It should also tell ya to ride it around for ten minutes or so before you do it. When ya start adjusting it though, blip the throttle a coupla times after EVERY time you turn it, no matter which way you go. Then let the engine drop back into idle on it's own. Again, that should all be in your manual. This has been my experience with 'Zooks...

If it still keeps jumping around, it may do ya some good to get your carbs synch'd too...

I'm too lazy to see if you've posted what year it is and how many miles are on it...

Lifer

Idle problem?

Yah if it's jumping around something else may be messed up carb synch sounds like a good idea.

Like I said, mine is close to 1.5k once it's warmed up, but it would never jump around once it's warm.

Ben

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast