Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

I'm back

I'm back

10 days and somewhere around 5000 miles, I've been doin some serious riding, I gotta go thru my e-mail etc. ride report later

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I'm back

5000 miles in TEN days? Yee hah! Do tell!

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

I'm back

Ride Report

I began preparation several months ago and decided I would attempt a Saddlesore1000 & Bunburner1500 as part of my vacation and trip to Deals Gap to meet the rest of the group. First, I choose a route that would take me west starting in Barnstead, NH to Binghamton, NY then south to Columbia, SC for the first 1050 mile leg. Then on to Ft. Pierce, FL for an additional 540 miles to complete the Bunburner attempt. My next project was to line up witnesses for the ride.
    I began Saturday May4 at 12:45am leaving Barnstead towards Binghamton, temps were a seasonably warm 46° when I left, but the weather forcast was for the temps to drop to the low 30s before daybreak, along the way, somewhere near Wilmington, VT, I saw a black bear in the middle of route 9. I shoulda got gas in Brattleboro, as my fuel light started flashing as I approached Bennington, all the gas stations were closed, soon, the fuel light was on solid, I’m thinking to myself, I screwed up, but luckily, I made it to a gas station in Pittstown, NY. Now, I’m on the NY thruway, starting to get light, and I see a deer in the road, the only one of my whole trip. I make it to Binghamton by 7:00am and stop for breakfast.
    Now south on 81, it’s about mid afternoon and it starts drizzling as I get to Roanoke, it never really rains, but it does get cold and foggy as I hit I77 and decend from Fancy Gap, for about 7-8 miles I was only doing about 20-30mph. I roll in to Columbia SC about 15 minutes after dark, my witness is waiting for me at the bottom of the Rt77 exit ramp. I check into my hotel, shower and get a hot meal, sleep for 3 hours. Wake up at 1:00am, my gear is still wet, so I put my electric vest on, never took it off till I hit the Florida line. The last couple hundred miles was the hardest, I’m not sure how many miles I rode while asleep, but I arrive in Ft Pierce at 10:45 am completing my bunburner with a couple hours to spare. I like to thank my witnesses Jay “Stoneman” Stonner for witnessing the start at 1:00am in the morning, Andy Simons for witnessing the end of my saddlesore in Columbia and my wife Mary for witnessing the end of my bunburner in Ft. Pierce.
    I rest the rest of the day in Florida then the next day I took my wife for a ride to Jensen Beach, I rode without gear and got a sunburn on my bald spot.
    Tuesday morning I pack up and head north to Two Wheels Only in Georgia, I took the Florida turnpike to Okala then I75 to Atlanta arriving in Suches at 7:00pm, with enuf daylight to set up my tent etc. Wednesday, I rode about 400 miles of twisties in northern Georgia then Thursday morning, I pack up again and ride the 150 miles north to Robbinsville, NC, arriving there about 1:00pm, plenty of time to hit Deals Gap and make a couple passes. By Friday moring everybody who is coming has arrived at the house we rented (Treetops) and we go for a group ride, taking in Wayah road, part of Rt 28, Newfound Gap, Clingmans Dome, Little River Road, foothills Parkway (in the rain) and returning to the house thru Deals Gap. Saturday, another group ride south on Rt 28 to Warwoman road in GA then along several of the roads I did the previous Wednesday to Two Wheels Only then north on Rt’s 60, 68 & Cherohla Skyway (the same route I took a couple days earlier) back to the house. Sunday, the ride took us east taking in more of Route 28 to Rt 1001 to Rt 281 (8 miles of twisty gravel road included) Rt 215, Rt 64 and return to Robbinsville via Wayah road
    Monday morning the 13th, I start my journey back north. Weather forcasts called for rain, but best weather the further east, I decide to ride east to Greensboro, NC then head north thru VA on route 29, good choice as it didn’t rain, only a few sprinkles but very windy, I made my way north to Warrenton, VA by evening. Listening to the news that evening I discovered there was a tornado within 25 miles of my ride that afternoon. The next day, I take Rt 17 to 81 to 78, I missed my turn onto 278 and end up in NYC, adding a couple hours to my return, I hit rain on the NY thruway on my way towards Albany but only for a half hour or so, my return on Route 9 thru VT & NH was uneventful, arriving home at 9:00pm.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

I'm back

Randy,

Very nice report, How many miles on your bike now, and how did you do on tires this trip.. What tires are you running now a days??

How many days rest did you need ???

I'm back

Awesome!! I see we have a resident iron butt in our midst!! Do you have a stock tank on that SV? 21 hours the first "day"?? Geez!! When do you plan on doing the "Iron Butt"?

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

I'm back

How many miles on your bike now, and how did you do on tires this trip.. What tires are you running now a days??

How many days rest did you need ???

I have just shy of 58,000, SV still runs like new, I hgad new tires put on just a few days before I left, Avon Azaro IIs (AV35 & AV36) although I still run the Pirelli dualsport tires in colder months, last season I tried Azaros and like them, I'll get about 6000 from my rear and 9000 front, What I like most about them is that they wear round, even with my 3500 miles highway on the trip, no flat strip, and no cupping in front, I run them at max. Avon recomendations 42rear 38front, they had more tha adequate traction in the twisties, although wet traction suffers a bit, but its hard for me to judge on then being used to the wet traction of the Pirellis

Rest? I didn't really need any, I got a normal nites sleep (5 hours)before I left and in columbia, although I only got 3 hours, I thing I made up for it while riding thru Florida early on a sunday morning, there was no traffic, I know I fell asleep a couple times while riding, I really don't remember that much about that part of the ride. I did pull over and stretch out on a picnic table bout 20 minutes once.

Do you have a stock tank on that SV? 21 hours the first "day"?? Geez!! When do you plan on doing the "Iron Butt"?

yep, everything is stock except a couple of additions. stock unadjustable forks, stock seat, stock tank, stock only preload adjustable rear shock,

additions, heated grips, klr handguards, suzuki flyscreen & luggage rack.

Electric vest & grips made the cold damp ride possible

RandyO
    IBA#9560