Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I know , I'm a good kid but . . . gotta do what you gotta do . ..

Well , Jeez My dad and mom won't take me to New Hampshire to purchase a bike , so I'm gonna go myself . . .. hmmm gotta plan this stuff out tho . . . Thinking about taking a taxi there , I think I'm gonna get a cashiers check from the bank and get insurance on my old plates for the bike. Then pay the dude. Then sign the bill of sale and get the title and ride back the bike.

Anyone find any errors in the plan ? I mean , The bill of sale can be signed by me . . but not legally . . ahahha

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: I know , I'm a good kid but . . . gotta do what you gotta do . ..

Originally posted by needabike
    Well , Jeez My dad and mom won't take me to New Hampshire to purchase a bike , so I'm gonna go myself . . .. hmmm gotta plan this stuff out tho . . . Thinking about taking a taxi there , I think I'm gonna get a cashiers check from the bank and get insurance on my old plates for the bike. Then pay the dude. Then sign the bill of sale and get the title and ride back the bike.

Anyone find any errors in the plan ? I mean , The bill of sale can be signed by me . . but not legally . . ahahha
    does da parents know about this?

" Never create what you can't control "

ya , told them . . . . . they seem to be ok with it , I think.

yeah... sales tax when you register the bike.

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

just wondering , how much is the sales tax ? 5% ?

nevermind found it , http://www.state.ma.us/sec/cis/cisexc/excidx.htm

it says 25 bucks per thousand

Everybody to the limit!

Re: I know , I'm a good kid but . . . gotta do what you gotta do . ..

Why do you want to purchase a bike in NH? If you're buying new, seems like you could find just as good a deal in MA as in NH.

Regardless...errors? Umm, well, you're driving an unregistered bike using false plates to make it appear as though it is registered. If you were stopped, you would get a ticket, and depending on the officer's mood, they would impound your bike. Seems like a pretty big hole to me there.

Oh and what happens when you get to new hampshire and the dealer won't let you sign the paperwork? If I was a dealer, I would be hesitant to sign a nonbinding contract. Moreover, I'd be hesitant to buy from a dealer who was dense enough to sign a nonbinding contract.

Then there's the cost of the taxi ride to new hampshire. I can't imagine that would be cheap. Where are you going in NH? Haverhill commuter rail runs most of the day, depending on where you're buying this mythical bike.

All in all your plan has more holes than swiss cheese. But it sounds like you knew that.

Yep , just called my cousin , looks like hes gonna take me up there. I'm going to register the bike , and I'm buying from a private person but the bike is like new , it's a SV650S with only ~2000 miles. I think he can sign the papers too , because hes 19.

Hold on , Don't you have 30 days to register the vehicle ?

You can get a bike liscense at 16 in mass??

It's 18 in NY.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Regardless of how you get it. Congrats on finding a new bike! Good choice coming from a Savage. It'll feel like a rocket.

Don't maim or kill yourself.

Originally posted by JCsGrly
    if your parents aren't interested in signing papers with you then you are going to have problems all down the road... you have to be 18 to sign any legal contracts - your cousin is not good enough.. it has to be your parent or legal guardian. any contract signed by a minor can be considered invalid and a dealership may not be willing to sell you a bike because of this. you really need to sit down and talk to your parents and work this out with them if you're serious. that is the only reasonable way thru this.

you cannot transfer your plate until the purchase is final - so you cannot do this before you go to get the bike seeing as you havent purchased it yet. the ins. co.'s require paperwork to prove the vehicle is yours and paperwork from the registry...
    Dang , So I gotta go there and pay for the bike , get a bill of sale and title , then come back to MA , get my parents to register the thing , and insure it , then drive 1 and a half hours back pick up the bike and ride 1 and a half hours back. That's allota stuff to do , but its worth it

Everybody to the limit!

Dang , So I gotta go there and pay for the bike , get a bill of sale and title , then come back to MA , get my parents to register the thing , and insure it , then drive 1 and a half hours back pick up the bike and ride 1 and a half hours back. That's allota stuff to do , but its worth it
    That's one way to do it. Another way would be to bring a truck or a trailer up to new hampshire when you pay for the bike. You can then haul the bike back with you, saving yourself 3 hours. This does require that you own/borrow a truck or trailer tho.

Now, I'm not sure if my second idea would work. But, it's possible you could get the current owner of the bike to go to his/her local DMV and get a temp plate made out in his/her name for the bike before you get there. Take the bike with it's temp plates back to MA, and register it once you get there. The only problem is, since the bike is already registered (right?) in NH, they probably won't give him temp plates for it. I don't see anything else illegal about that though....though the current owner might not like the idea since you'd be riding back under his/her insurance.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Does MA have temp plates like ME/VT/NH? That would be an easy solution.

hmm , might have run into a problem .... .. . the Vin number on the bike came out as a TL1000 I think . . . kinda weird ,

JS1VT < -- - -- all Tl1000's start with this on their vin numbers right and SV's start with JS1VP , so I'm thinking theres something funky about this bike . . . . . . .. because it starts with JS1VT in the Vin number

I could be wrong tho and it maybe possible that Sv's are made with the JS1VT on their vins but I doubt it . . . cause I can't find one on ebay or any other dealership with those type of vin numbers.

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by stoinkythepig
    Does MA have temp plates like ME/VT/NH? That would be an easy solution.
    Except, he can't get a temp plate without the signed over title in hand, can he? I suppose you could duck back into massachusetts to the nearest DMV, get a set of temps, and be back quicker than you could drive down to boston...

Everybody to the limit!

hmm , might have run into a problem .... .. . the Vin number on the bike came out as a TL1000 I think . . . kinda weird ,

JS1VT < -- - -- all Tl1000's start with this on their vin numbers right and SV's start with JS1VP , so I'm thinking theres something funky about this bike . . . . . . .. because it starts with JS1VT in the Vin number

I could be wrong tho
    Did the owner read you the VIN over the phone? 'cause, you know, "Tee" and "Pee" sound a lot alike

Originally posted by Honclfibr
    Except, he can't get a temp plate without the signed over title in hand, can he? I suppose you could duck back into massachusetts to the nearest DMV, get a set of temps, and be back quicker than you could drive down to boston...
    if you are ducking back and forth into mass, why not just get the real plates?

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by oreo_n2
    if you are ducking back and forth into mass, why not just get the real plates?
    At least in new hampshire, temp plates can be issued by any ole DMV, while real plates are issued by the town you live in.

Seems MA must be different tho, Rachel says they don't even *have* temp plates? Seems strange to me, what do you all do when you buy cars from the dealer...

Did the owner read you the VIN over the phone? 'cause, you know, "Tee" and "Pee" sound a lot alike
    ya , I'm thinking I heard it wrong too , I'll give him a call again tonight and check it out again.

At least in new hampshire, temp plates can be issued by any ole DMV, while real plates are issued by the town you live in.

Seems MA must be different tho, Rachel says they don't even *have* temp plates? Seems strange to me, what do you all do when you buy cars from the dealer...
    Dealership has plates , they give them to you. Atleast I think so , last time I checked.

Hey , JC does your TL Vin number start with JS1VT ?

Everybody to the limit!

Originally posted by JCzx12
    If you're transferring your existing registration you have 7 days to get the paperwork done, and usually the dealer will do that for you...so you just swap the plates off your old car and onto the new one, and off you go.

If you're not transferring, either you or the dealer has to go to the registry and get plates before you can drive the car.
    Whoah, that's quite interesting. So you're saying, if Nate still has the plates for the savage, and it's still in registration, he can slap them on the SV and that's legal? That's pretty crazy if that's how it works. That means you're driving/riding around on a registration which is completely bogus, the description and VIN don't match your car/bike at all, it's useless. Do you need to keep proof of ownership? Otherwise, I could plate my stole vehicle with a set from a vehicle I owned, and if I get stopped, tell the cop I just bought it and am transferring the registration over. I guess he could check the VIN numbers...Just seems to make the idea of having the plates on the vehicle at all seem kinda pointless.

ive see guys reg the wrong vin

Originally posted by JCzx12
    If you're transferring your existing registration you have 7 days to get the paperwork done, and usually the dealer will do that for you...so you just swap the plates off your old car and onto the new one, and off you go.

If you're not transferring, either you or the dealer has to go to the registry and get plates before you can drive the car.
    get away with it how often do the cops chech vin #s i have never had one check mine like i could change my ninja 1000 reg 2 say it was black & red , then just use the plate on my 900 seen it done guys got pulled over never checked
    LEOs = stupid hope they dont hear me

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

big problems . .. . I called up my RMV and they ran the vin number . .. . . . the bike doesn't exist . .. . . Even switched JS1VP with a JS1VT in the vin number and the bike doesn't come up . . . . . hmmm kinda weird . . . . heres the vin

JS1VP52A612101399 or
    JS1VT52A612101399

If anybody can get me some info on it , it'd be much appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast