Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

I'm in the market for a lightweight two bike trailer

Hi all,

Looking for any suggestions .....

I plan to pull this with our 02 VW Eurovan camper, it has a VR6 with 201 HP, so lots of motor but I'm unsure of towing one of the heavier landscape style trailers, and I want to be able to move the trailer around my yard + load myself..

This is what I have so far :

Worthington -- Full Alum 2 bike trailer, 540#'s a bit heavy, and very Pricey $2050.00.. This trailer is a flat bed with very nice wheel chocks, they stopped making the 3 rail design for the same reasons I don't like the Load Rite... Except for COST this is the best so Far..

Load Rite -- Brad Martone has this trailer we took to North Carolina last July, + Debbie + I borrowed for Nova Scotia in Aug.. About $1000.00 -- 290 #'s very light , Neg's Very tall hard to get bike way up on this trailer. Ramp too short I have damage on My Mille from this trailer, it scratched both sides of the belly pan section when loading.. I can also see myself dropping one of my bikes with this unit if I were to buy.. I called Load rite and they could offer no solution..Model MC1803 - Unit Capacity: 3 • Weight Capacity: 1800 • Axles: 1 • Brakes: 0 • Tire Size: 5.30-12CB • Between Fenders: 54" • OAW: 76" • OAL: 12' 7" • Weight: 290..

Kendon ( Big Bike Dual trailer ) -- John Dean ( SRNE from years ago ) has this trailer, Brad and I used on our North Carolina trip 2001.. Weight 350 #'s, $2000.00 cost , Trailer folds in half to store, I suspect this will cause problems as it ages ( loose and rattly ), but I could be wrong.. On the plus side it pulled very nice, was very low and easy to load ..

ANY other Ideas ?????????????

Steve Douville
    01 RST Futura
    02 RSV Mille
    steve-rsv@snet.net

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Steve D
    02 RSV Mille His ( Silver )

R - Rigatoni Ripper
    S - Spaghetti Slasher
    V - Venice Violator

01 RST Futura Ours ( blue )

Howfar..

Hi Steve,

How far do you want to travel to get something? I tried ebay for you, but nothing in RI or MA. Searching from NH is not an "ebay" option, but I can get around that.

Let me know..

Later,

Joel

Trailer

2-3 hours would be OK for the right trailer.. Local is always better so I can touch + Feel before commiting $$$$$$$$

Steve D
    02 RSV Mille His ( Silver )

R - Rigatoni Ripper
    S - Spaghetti Slasher
    V - Venice Violator

01 RST Futura Ours ( blue )

Steve

I am actually considering custom building a trailer, plans & parts are available thru Northern Tool and other like suppliers.

I want to stay away from the little 8" wheels, the weel bearings need a lot of attention, and because I really have no other use for a trailer than to haul bikes, I would be happy with just wheel channels and no deck, as low & light as possible. I will be towing with about half the HP with my bimmer, and even less it I get my old hippy van back on the road

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Find a snowmobile trailer... That is what we used last year for the race team. 3 bikes and all the poles for the EZ-Up.

G-man

Gerard

Randy, does Northern Tools have the frame also? I was thinking that if these companies sell packages (axle/torsion bar, frame and at least 12" wheels) I could do the deck with wood. I am in the market for a trailer capable of handling 2 bikes and I'll be damned if I spend what some of these companies want. Got a trackday planned at Grattan in Michigan and I don't wanna put the bike in the back of the p/u.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

You might want to just look at some used utility trailers, I have a steel 4x8 general utility with like 2 foot walls. They're pretty cheap to buy used, and as long as the bearings are in good shape and there's not hardcore rust there isn't a whole lot that can go wrong with them. I put a couple of eye bolts in strategic locations, so strapping the bike in is no problem. THe only problem is that they tend to be pretty high, so you need a long sturdy ramp to make loading less scary. On the other hand, I have, in the past, had a friend stand on the back edge (with the trailer disconnected form the car) so it stood up at about a 45 degree angle and just blasted up into it and let the trailer slam down... Not the best thing for the trailer and there's pretty high potential for messing up the bike, but it works, and the nieghbors think you're nuts...

Just something to think about. Good luck