Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

I'm probably not alone on this subject.

I'm probably not alone on this subject.

Over the years I have loved riding the street, but have found I am no longer having fun unless I am pushing my limits and going fast.

After controlling myself and saving the speed for track days, I find I do not look forward, nor try to ride the street. I just don't feel like it's fun anymore. & I know If I go to have fun on the street I am taking a lot of risks. So I have not ridden much this year.

I know some of you have completely given up the street and taken up racing. What have others done to either make street riding more fun, but still "Safe"? OR change bikes. or go to dirt? I have done dirt, but at this time it's out as my knee is still healing from a hockey wound.

I am and have been trying to save up for a "trackday only" bike, but still want the option of going for an occational street ride, plus the fact the bike is a good back up if I am without my truck for repairs or what not. So This might be my own answer by keeping the Aprilla, and funding for a track toy.

I would love to race, but don't feel it's in my budget.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by Half Squid; 09-14-10 at 01:15 PM.
    Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Re: I'm probably not alone on this subject.

I'd try buying a slower bike for the street. Like an EX250, 500, SV650, etc. It will still feel like you are going fast, but you will be going slightly slower.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Go for a different type of street riding. Use it to explore the area more. Get an adventure bike and try to find roads you wouldn't ever normally ride. Take long trips. Try using the bike to connect with the world around you instead of using it as an adrenaline fix. Just an idea, and it isn't for everybody. I have a feeling that is where my street riding will naturally head towards, though it hasn't yet (at least not entirely).

'06 Triumph Sprint ST ABS
    '90 Yamaha XT350

When did you start riding fast?

KLR650 or another type of underpowered, silly fun adventure bike.

You remember riding the KiLaR, you know what sort of erection results.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    KLR650 or another type of underpowered, silly fun adventure bike.

You remember riding the KiLaR, you know what sort of erection results.
    If they made an aftermarket rear fender that wasn't ugly as sin...

If you want fun and slow come borrow my DR. I think you'll enjoy it.

What they all said. Some sort of mediocre dual sport. It'll feel like your flying just because you've gotta ring the things neck to do 65.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

switched bikes on a ride this weekend. did about 20 miles on a bmw gs1100. whole other world from the z. fastest it will go is 114 and i had to ring its neck to do it not to mention it needed about four miles and a tailwind to achieve that. still a blast to ride. i'd love to have one as a second bike. maybe the newer 1200.

i push it on the street. with what these bikes are capable of i find it imposable not to. i even tried to bait two vette's and a cobra replica to run me on the highway. pussies!

I hear ya man. dont know what to tell you. Lord only knows I cannot pretend to be the voice of reason here. I guess the best thing I can suggest is to get to the lesser traveled twisty roads to go fast, at least then you are only a risk to yourself. Thats what I "try" to do.

I just pretend i'm somewhat responsible the rest of the time. Have you tried another source for adrenaline? I have a freiking rolodex of risky activities if you want to try any of those.

Don't Fake the funk on a nasty dunk.

NEW STREET/TRACK: 2007.5 Aprilia Tuono
    STREET/TRACK: '08 CBR600RR (SOLD)
    '07 VFR800 (SOLD)

Super-Dooper User ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן's Avatar

I just enjoy looking at every cager on the road like they're an idiot, that entertains me.

Quote Originally Posted by ɹǝʍoןandɹǝʍoן View Post
    I just enjoy looking at every cager on the road like they're an idiot, that entertains me.
    I thought I was the only one who did that hahaha.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

You know my position on this. I haven't been the same on the street since my accident last year. It's just not enjoyable for me, especially riding that torture chamber of a bike. (well, torture to me, anyway)

I'm going to hit up the big ride, most likely, but it will be on the 900RR.

I tried racing as a substitute, but I'm now forced to bow out of round 8 because it's just too expensive for me right now. Track days cure the itch, but since they're so few and far between, it's hard to feed the addiction.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

You could get a bike that you would like to tinker on and modify.

I love wrenching all winter and getting it on the road in the spring... Or maybe have a revolving bike policy. Buy one, ride it and if you don't like it, sell it. Have fun trying different bikes.

I don't ride much street either. I am moving to a Sport Tourer from a Superbike to see how that goes.

"I'd rather ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow"
    Bikes: Ducati: 748 (Track) Honda: RC31 (Race/street)/ CRF 110 Mini Moto/ Hawk Endurance Racer Kawasaki: ZXR1200R
    BOMO Instructor
    EX# X

I have more fun at 45-50 on my motard than I did at 100+ on my 636. Try a different style slower bike. W

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

I think in your case looking from the outside in and not actually knowing you I would say it's two things. A, you should only be riding with people at your same skill level and stay up in the twisties. Slab is no fun and neither is city. B, which for you I belive is more accurate is the bike you ride. You came off of an RC51 because of your knee. The threads I read indicated you settled on what you could get because you were in a hurry to make a deal happen. I think you should take the rime to find out what bike really best suits your physical needs without being boring on the street.

Just my 2 cents.

Bikeless in Blackstone The Snowman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slammp View Post
    I think in your case looking from the outside in and not actually knowing you I would say it's two things. A, you should only be riding with people at your same skill level and stay up in the twisties. Slab is no fun and neither is city. B, which for you I belive is more accurate is the bike you ride. You came off of an RC51 because of your knee. The threads I read indicated you settled on what you could get because you were in a hurry to make a deal happen. I think you should take the rime to find out what bike really best suits your physical needs without being boring on the street.

Just my 2 cents.
    Sounds like you're also describing at least one other rider as well.

CCS/LRRS Expert#39, retired | Tony's Track Days, Instructor #11, retired
    |

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    If they made an aftermarket rear fender that wasn't ugly as sin...
    Since when are you so concerned with appearances?

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (Linux; U; Android 2.2; en-us; Droid Build/FRG22D) AppleWebKit/533.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile Safari/533.1)

I had a different sort of experience: I started hating street riding because I didn't feel safe enough around cagers no matter what my skill level was. Doing group rides turned it around for me. Try a DucDave Seacoast ride. Recommended by all the Coppah bikes on the forum!

Go fast. Have fun. Repeat.

Hypertarded

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    I have more fun at 45-50 on my motard than I did at 100+ on my 636. Try a different style slower bike. W
    I've posted this in several similar threads, but you have more fun under 65mph on a motard then you'd imagine

i'm in the same boat you are since i've been to the track street kinda blows lol

I'm trying to save up and buy a new street bike . . . my ZX is just to damn good to restrict to street duty so it will be my race bike next year if i can afford it

www.bostonmoto.com
    2009 Zx-6r--17,680 miles and counting!!
    2008 ZZR600 - - - 10,268 miles totaled
    Ride to live, live to ride

Can't say much since I don't have nearly as much experience as other people here, but riding my Z1000 feels WAY different than it did riding my GSXR-600 when I had one. It makes you feel like your riding on an insanely fast bar stool touring all the back roads since there are no fairings in the way and the riding style is very upright and comfortable. It doesn't make you want to go retard fast everywhere since you feel like you're more exposed, but its still a blast doing pretty much everything but dirt.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by Half Squid View Post
    Over the years I have loved riding the street, but have found I am no longer having fun unless I am pushing my limits and going fast.

After controlling myself and saving the speed for track days, I find I do not look forward, nor try to ride the street. I just don't feel like it's fun anymore. & I know If I go to have fun on the street I am taking a lot of risks. So I have not ridden much this year.

I know some of you have completely given up the street and taken up racing. What have others done to either make street riding more fun, but still "Safe"? OR change bikes. or go to dirt? I have done dirt, but at this time it's out as my knee is still healing from a hockey wound.

I am and have been trying to save up for a "trackday only" bike, but still want the option of going for an occational street ride, plus the fact the bike is a good back up if I am without my truck for repairs or what not. So This might be my own answer by keeping the Aprilla, and funding for a track toy.

I would love to race, but don't feel it's in my budget.

for me adv riding is where its at.

i ride the same as i always have, just more so on dirt now.

the gsa for more pavement than dirt rides and the se 950 for more dirt than pavement.

the super duke and 04 r1 get no love and i should sell them.

jim

"Molon labe"

Posting Freak

My next bike is going to be something other than a sportbike. Did track days and a little racing back in the day. No way to afford either any time soon. Love the RC, but don't use it the way it should be on the street.
    Motard isn't really my bag, because I like to do longer distances sometimes. Can't afford a Beemer, so I'm thinking FZ1, ZRX etc.....

Definitely not alone! I actually just recently made the decision to turn my R6 into a racebike partly due to boredom with the streets. My bike is still mostly in street trim so I go out on the weekends and just stick to a dedicated loop that I know is fun. I am lucky enough to have found a state forest with decently paved roads that aren't really used by cars. The roads are twisty and fast with rises and some fast straights. There is mostly grass on all sides, but there is some sand on the roads which I've learned where to be ready. I ride that loop as if the cops are already chasing me, so it's pretty adrenaline-filled! Check Google Earth for areas that look good, that's how I got the idea to ride the forest and it paid off.

LRRS am #121

"So this is what your race program has become... the back of a pickup truck huh?" -PK

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast