Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

New Indian

New Indian

So I test rode the new Indian scout today. Bike looks great but rides like shit. not stable at highway speeds at all and not very comfortable for a 6 foot tall person. However, I did take the new indian Chief out for a ride. I have never owned a cruiser, but this bike is making me consider buying one. I have a track bike, but if I do ride on the street, I think this may be an option....am I crazy for considering it?

Engine is great, really heavy, but that is expected...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails New Indian-topimage-png  

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: New Indian

This means you're back in the saddle? Any chance you can be arm-twisted into hitting NYST this weekend?

"Where are we going?...and why am I in this handbasket?"
    LRRS 919
    '12 Ducati 1199 Panigale (track) '08 Honda CRF 250 (ice) '02 KTM 520 SX Supermoto (track)

Ha, I wish...hand is good enough for a ride in a cruiser, definitely not a track day.

Plus bike is still mangled

Quote Originally Posted by Ductard View Post
    This means you're back in the saddle? Any chance you can be arm-twisted into hitting NYST this weekend?

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    I have a track bike, but if I do ride on the street, I think this may be an option....am I crazy for considering it?
    No. I have considered the same.

Have you seen my baseball GingahNinjah's Avatar

My dad has a 2014 Chief and I have ridden it and it was amazing. It handled surprisingly well throwing it around on twisty back roads. I really wanna take the Scout for a spin cuz its more my kinda cruiser but I do hope you are wrong about the handling issues :/

https://www.facebook.com/LRRSBT1R #54 EX 2007 SV650 "Work hard. Play harder. Die broke and happy!" Boston Tier 1 Racing Pirelli Tires Woodcraft-CFM Armorbodies Penguin Racing School Vortex Shorai Batteries DP Brakes Riders Discount SIDI Leatt

Lifer

I've not ridden any of the Indians, so I can't say. But I think that many of the lower ends models of cruiser lineups just plain suck. I found this to definitely be the case with both Star/Yamaha and Victory. I did demos of both and their entry level (Star => Bolt, Victory => Gunner) were awful. Cross the lot to their full boat tourer/heavy baggers and everything gets better; the ride, the fit and finish, the sound, everything. That's extra amazing for Victory as they put the same engine in everything.

Yes

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I agree, the scout is,my type,of cruiser as well. But it is really small abd very low to the ground. The engine is fine, but I don't understand what all the rave is about.

Handling on back roads was fine, but the highway was miserable.

And it's nimbleness comes at the expense of stability. Also, the braking sucks

QUOTE=GingahNinjah;1381093]My dad has a 2014 Chief and I have ridden it and it was amazing. It handled surprisingly well throwing it around on twisty back roads. I really wanna take the Scout for a spin cuz its more my kinda cruiser but I do hope you are wrong about the handling issues :/[/QUOTE]

Love my victory (cross roads) for street riding. super comfy solo or 2-up and while it's no sportbike, it's no slouch either. For what I want to do these days on the road it is certainly capable of entertaining me. Kinda bummed to hear your impressions about the scout though. Jess has been wanting one since they were introduced. We didn't have a chance to get up for the demo truck last weekend so she hasn't ridden one yet.

For what it's worth I think the scout is a love\hate situation. Most of the women loved it. It is really meant for their stature.

Quote Originally Posted by soofle616 View Post
    Love my victory (cross roads) for street riding. super comfy solo or 2-up and while it's no sportbike, it's no slouch either. For what I want to do these days on the road it is certainly capable of entertaining me. Kinda bummed to hear your impressions about the scout though. Jess has been wanting one since they were introduced. We didn't have a chance to get up for the demo truck last weekend so she hasn't ridden one yet.

xxaarraa

Normally I'd encourage you to get a new bike, since when you turn around and sell it in 6 months (and you will for a variety of reasons: you wont have time to ride, no one to ride with, get bored of riding around suburbia, no aftermarket support so you can't tool around with modding it, its slow and riding slow in the traffic is not very fun), I can get a great deal on it. But I have zero interest in street bikes and negative interest in cruisers, so I have no useful answer to your question.

Last edited by xxaarraa; 10-09-14 at 02:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jewcati View Post
    For what it's worth I think the scout is a love\hate situation. Most of the women loved it. It is really meant for their stature.
    Well that's a good thing I guess. I like the look of them but for my money I'd rather have a previous gen judge if I was gonna buy a solo cruiser to go along with my cross roads which was primarily purchased for it's 2-up prowess.

In a heavyweight cruiser you'd be doing yourself a disservice if you don't take a ride on a Triumph Thunderbird before committing to something else. I'm not saying you should buy one because it's the "best big bike" yada yada yada, but because it's become known as the one you ride to judge how others of the type should handle.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black