Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

State Inspection tread depth

State Inspection tread depth

Just checked the tread depth of the stock tires on my GSX-R750. 3/32nds in front, 4/32 rear. But some of the tread grooves trail away to less on the edges.

Will they pass inspection that way? Have new tires on order but need to get inspected.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

High maintenance priss

Re: State Inspection tread depth

Per the MA law it would not fail due to tread depth (min 2/32 @ center).

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garandman View Post
    Just checked the tread depth of the stock tires on my GSX-R750. 3/32nds in front, 4/32 rear. But some of the tread grooves trail away to less on the edges.

Will they pass inspection that way? Have new tires on order but need to get inspected.
    There should be wear bars in the sipes/tread on the tires. If the surface of the tire isn't down to the wear bars they should pass unless there are other areas where there is no wear bar but there is obviously more wear.

https://cdn1.bikebandit-images.com/b...et-tires-4.jpg

2/32" is minimum. Also, you don't NEED to get inspected until the end of the month.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

God i wish they had state safety inspections in ct. You should see that shit that comes through my guys service bays.
    at least several times i a week i have to print on a customer's repair order that there car is unsafe for the road and make them sign on it.

I do most of my riding in traffic straight up and tires get squared, was told it was very very close to being rejected just for that, tires had 1500-2000 miles on them

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    God i wish they had state safety inspections in ct. You should see that shit that comes through my guys service bays.
    at least several times i a week i have to print on a customer's repair order that there car is unsafe for the road and make them sign on it.
    Screw that! I was just thinking “I’m so glad we don’t have to deal with inspections in CT!”

I’m thankful that you take it serous enough to point it out to the customer. Just yesterday I followed a pickup that had the front leaf spring mount dragging on the road. The bed wasn’t overloaded so its unlikely it just fell down. Can’t tell me the operator didn’t know he was a hazard to others.

rides bikes

Quote Originally Posted by jhawley View Post
    In theory I agree with you, but it's such bullshit (in MA). Unless you park on the street in Boston, you'll never have a problem with an un-inspected bike (I no longer inspect any of my bikes and it's not an issue unless I'm parked downtown, in which case I bring a bike cover). There's also no consistency to the inspection process. The last time I tried to get a sticker I failed for a rusty chain link (and surprise surprise, they graciously offered to install a new chain and sprockets). About a month before that, I was allowed to pass a different bike without a brake light. No one's paying attention.

Cars are the same way. I haven't inspected my truck in 3+ years (although I do get my wife's car inspected so she doesn't have to deal with it). The last time I inspected my truck it passed inspection without an e-brake. A huge pet peeve of mine is busted brake lights, and I probably count 30 on my way to work, all with valid inspection stickers.

So yeah, if they actually did inspections correctly, and enforced the rules (i.e. fix-it tickets), it would be great. But they don't, so it's stupid.

Sorry, ending rant.

I found a wear bar on the front and there is still some tread. I take it to a scooter place and they aren’t too used to seeing tires. Going to ask them point blank when I get there.