Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Insurance increases for inspection stickers

Question Insurance increases for inspection stickers

Hi guys, just wanted to post this and see if there's even a slim chance this could be changed:

Last spring I had my bike parked on the street for less than 24 hours. After that it was garaged and it has not been out since due to some ongoing issues. I received two tickets, in the mail, a week later due to no inspection sticker on my parked bike over that 16 hour period. I paid the fees ($50 each) and didn't fight them because I didn't think it possible that could be a moving violation. I just got my 2012 car insurance quote and have 2 points on my record now because of those tickets, bringing insurance up by $400.

Since the bike was not being ridden at the time the tickets were written, is there any slim chance/way I can fight any part of it this late? The bike has not left the driveway since that one day, and the bike was moved via truck (left on street for hand-off).

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

Re: Insurance increases for inspection stickers

I would think by paying it you admitted your guilt right there. Also I am pretty sure 1 point is $100 in MA. So check that nothing else in your policy changed, unless you meant 2 points a piece. The state doesn't care that you haven't been riding it. It was on the street and registered without an inspection sticker.

Parked on the street or riding on the street your still on the street. Sorry for the bad news.

(parked bike over that 16 hour period) If you can prove this then one can come off. 99% sure one ticket every 24 hrs.

Last edited by stpierre; 05-14-12 at 09:44 PM.
    What up, bitches?

Are you sure those points were for the inspection sticker? I did not think that would affect your driving record.
    Ticketed twice in 16 hrs for the same thing?
    I think there is a lot more to this story...talk to your insurance agent.

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Quote Originally Posted by WordTooYoMamma View Post
    I would think by paying it you admitted your guilt right there.
    Quote Originally Posted by j4eric View Post
    Are you sure those points were for the inspection sticker? I did not think that would affect your driving record.
    About the points: the statement from insurance indicated two "NO INSPECTION STICKER" incidents, the first had a 'value' of 2, the second 0, so I'm assuming they were "nice" enough to only put one on my record. Looks like insurance doesn't care that the second wasn't applied, which is BS to me.

I didn't think they would affect my record either, which is why I didn't try to fight them. I wasn't planning on having the bike out anyway, just needed to move it to storage; it hasn't been out since. I'll be having a nice chat with my agent tomorrow

Keep us informed..this is interesting

Every man dies. Not every man really lives.
    08 CBR 1000RR street bike
    99 R6 track bike
    02 F4i sold to a nesr member

Quote Originally Posted by QuincyGixxer View Post
    About the points: the statement from insurance indicated two "NO INSPECTION STICKER" incidents, the first had a 'value' of 2, the second 0, so I'm assuming they were "nice" enough to only put one on my record. Looks like insurance doesn't care that the second wasn't applied, which is BS to me.

I didn't think they would affect my record either, which is why I didn't try to fight them. I wasn't planning on having the bike out anyway, just needed to move it to storage; it hasn't been out since. I'll be having a nice chat with my agent tomorrow
    Your agent cant do dick about the points. In mass most insurance agents will turn a blind eye to the first ticket.

You may also find that you won't be able to get an answer from your agent, they will have to contact the underwriter at the insurance company. I went through that when our old company suddenly decided that my wife's '99 R6 was valued at $8000 and charged us accordingly. The agent had no answer as to why changes were made to the policy from year-to-year.

Yup.... No inspection sticker or even an old inspection sticker will get you points on your driving record every time. DAMHIK

04 XB12R
    02 CBRF4i
    BearsDen.com

I could be wrong here but I don't think your first 2 points can affect your premium in MA.

Lifer

I am more concerned with how this process works. Is the inspection computer "linked" to the registration system in such a way that "no-inspection" tickets are triggered and sent automatically, some time after the deadline passes? Or was your bike discovered by a passing officer, who maybe watched it for a bit, then reported it? I suspect the latter...

Has nothing to do with your agent whatso ever as others have already stated. Its initiated by the registry and submitted directly to the carrier. Your agent is notified after that process is already moving. I forget when but the law passed a number of years ago that you must have a valid inspection sticker on a public road weather you are moving or not will affect your record.

"B"

"The greatest barrier to success is the fear of failure"

Ah the great state of Taxachusetts.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Ah the great state of Taxachusetts.
    it's not really a tax.

in any case, i'll take that over the 9.5% sales tax in Cali that i just moved away from. yeah, i know NH has it even better with no sales tax or state income tax, but property taxes are 3rd highest in the country.

back on topic: i think it's crazy that no inspection sticker is a moving violation. i guess that's their solution to trying to make people more compliant.

Last edited by Evadd; 05-15-12 at 09:22 AM.

I have not had an inspection sticker on any of my cars for well over 3 years. I just dont pit them on. Never been stopped for it, and the few times ive been stopped, the officer did not mention it or did not see it. The onlt exception to me not havong a sticker is when Alex borrowed my truck for the weekend. I didnt want him to have any hassle so i put one on. Never since on 3 different vehicles. On my bikes, always stickered because cops can be dickheads to motorcycles unless they are harleys.

Lifer

JWM is lucky. That's the only rational explanation I can think of.

I had a pickup + a commuter car for a while. The pickup sat most of the summer. I straight up forgot about the sticker, but jumped in the truck one afternoon to get some gas for the mower in town. Maybe 3 miles, round trip... and got stopped by a statie. He gave me the lecture AND the ticket.

What eats me is the thing had brand new rubber on it at the time and was probably in better shape than it had been for several years past. "Any reason it wouldn't pass?" he asked. "Not one." "Here's your ticket anyway."

Bah.

Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    Inspection sticker violation in MA = 2 points. Been there, paid for that. Funny I appealed it and the magistrate told me it was a 'moving violation' which is why it carried a point penalty, which in this case doesn't exactly make sense because the bike was parked.
    that's good to know...i knew you could only get points due to a moving violation but i have no idea how an expired inspection sticker is considered a moving voilation

bike: none but i have a seafoam green 125cc scooter
    Point37s Garage Sale Thread

Wirelessly posted (Tilt)

Quote Originally Posted by Point37
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankenstein View Post
    Inspection sticker violation in MA = 2 points. Been there, paid for that. Funny I appealed it and the magistrate told me it was a 'moving violation' which is why it carried a point penalty, which in this case doesn't exactly make sense because the bike was parked.
    that's good to know...i knew you could only get points due to a moving violation but i have no idea how an expired inspection sticker is considered a moving voilation
    How else would this state be able to fuck you for years after making a simple error in judgement?
    My dad got pulled over in his 7 day "grace" period after buying his brandy new GMC sierra 2500 for not having an inspection sticker years back. The truck had like 100 miles on it and that was the only reason he was stopped. Either that cop is a dick or the state realizes frivolous stops like inspection sticker stuff is a great source of income.

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    You may also find that you won't be able to get an answer from your agent, they will have to contact the underwriter at the insurance company. I went through that when our old company suddenly decided that my wife's '99 R6 was valued at $8000 and charged us accordingly. The agent had no answer as to why changes were made to the policy from year-to-year.
    your insurance agent sucks. mine even called my mom a couple months ago to tell her that Safety was going up a couple hundred bucks so she should switch to Liberty Mutual I think it was and get an extra discount cause the homeowners insurance is through them. so she's at about the same as she paid last year. I think she might even have gotten better coverage too but I'm not sure. that's the power of a good agent.

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I have not had an inspection sticker on any of my cars for well over 3 years. I just dont pit them on. Never been stopped for it, and the few times ive been stopped, the officer did not mention it or did not see it. The onlt exception to me not havong a sticker is when Alex borrowed my truck for the weekend. I didnt want him to have any hassle so i put one on. Never since on 3 different vehicles. On my bikes, always stickered because cops can be dickheads to motorcycles unless they are harleys.
    yup you've been incredibly lucky so far. years ago I got pulled over 3 times in one summer because my car's sticker was expired. one time on the highway he was behind me for not more than 10 seconds before he flipped the lights on. not sure how he even saw that one, all I can think is the car was loud so that was the real reason he pulled me over. I wasn't gonna pass inspection anyway cause I didn't have a cat anymore. got warnings every time though

Guess I have a bike and a car to get inspected... I just never bothered and it hasn't been an issue for years. Figure I'm up a few hundred bucks from the blissfully ignorant period of non inspection anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    behind me for not more than 10 seconds before he flipped the lights on. not sure how he even saw that one
    Sticker is linked to registration now..

Quote Originally Posted by cdseven95 View Post
    Sticker is linked to registration now..
    this was 6 or 7 years ago. and I doubt he even had time to punch my plate number into the computer because he should have been paying attention to merging onto Rt24.

Quote Originally Posted by WordTooYoMamma View Post
    How else would this state be able to fuck you for years after making a simple error in judgement?
    My dad got pulled over in his 7 day "grace" period after buying his brandy new GMC sierra 2500 for not having an inspection sticker years back. The truck had like 100 miles on it and that was the only reason he was stopped. Either that cop is a dick or the state realizes frivolous stops like inspection sticker stuff is a great source of income.
    I've never heard of a grace period on an inspection sticker... in Maine unless it's being sold as a wholesale piece the dealership has to have it sticker'd prior to sale.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    I've never heard of a grace period on an inspection sticker... in Maine unless it's being sold as a wholesale piece the dealership has to have it sticker'd prior to sale.
    inspection in MA must be completed within 7 calendar days of registration date.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Both VT and NH have grace periods.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast