Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Insurances with a salvage title?

Hungry like a wolf... MissTwisties's Avatar

Assuming that "rebuilted title" (in NH) means the same as "salvage title" (in MA) ...

I've heard that when you buy a motorcycle with a rebuilt/salvage title that if you crash it and you're insured for collision, they will only reimburse you at 50%...is this true? Does it depends on the state you live in? So basically you would pay the same premiums for insurance as for a clean title but only get re-imbursed half the money if something happend because it got a rebuilt/salvage title on your bike?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    www.elementsofbalancemt.com
    www.facebook.com/misstwisties

"If you don't stand for something you fall for everything."
    "Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Banned

salvage title is salvage title in any state. Rebuilt means that the bike is "previously salvage"

derek

Umm great. Things ALWAYS have to be complicated, right?! Now I'm being told by my insurance company that I cannot insure and plate the bike I want without having it coming to MA on a freagin' TRAILER (I cannot ride it down), and then it has to go thru a special inspection ($$) since it has a rebuilt title and only after this is done I can insure and plate the bike, and get a new title. Is this something very common to go thru when you buy a used bike? Gee..

He also just confirm with me over the phone that if I was to crash the bike, indeed I would be reimbursed a lot less than the actual value because of the rebuilt title.

"Speak when you are angry and you will make the best speech you will ever regret."

Yes, it's typical. In MA salvage titled vehicles have to go through that inspection.

Find out from the insurance company exactly how they base reimbursment...is it a % of NADA value? If so, take that into consideration when purchasing a salvage titled bike. That may be a good indication of what % of book value you should pay for it. A salvage titled bike or car is not worth the same $$ as a clean titled vehicle.

"It is important never to forget where u all came from — becoz black, white, brown or pakistani we all come from de same place — de punani."
    -Ali G

Triumph Daytona 675 SE

All I know is that I have had no problem insuring it..And it has a clear rebuilt title..Already been inspected by NH DMV!!!!!

If its that much of a problem don't buy it..

And I have already placed it well below what it is worth NADA... It is a bargain rebuilt title or not!!!!

" It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

I'm not saying I don't want to buy it...I told you I was coming back next week This is my first time buying used, my first bike was bought brand new out of the crate, and the dealer pretty much did everything for me from their shop the day I bought it...so I'm just trying to figure everything out, you see if I haden't called my insurance company today, I would have been in deep mud going back to NH with no trailer, not knowing about this. I didn't know either about a "special inspection", so no matter if you had it inspected in NH or not, I still have to do it again here in MA, and it's not going to be the regular inspection of $15 like I just did with my 250 last weekend (he said it was about $50). I was pissed because the insurer told me they only do those inspections twice a week, so I will have to go when they're open, and while I wait for that, I won't be able to ride my new bike....grr...

I still want the bike, that's not an issue. But I'm glad I did make some phone calls and ask questions, or I wouldn't have known all this info. Man God said we're probably gonna have to rent a trailer, we don't know anyone with one.

By the way, isn't it Sarah who went thru this stuff with her 500 when she bought it from out of state? Not sure....but I think her bike was also a rebuilt title and her situation about putting the plates on her bike was very similar to mine, if not the same...(maybe I'm completly off base too!)

This bike is gonna come to me, it's just gonna be a little bit more complicated than I thought that's all. (I keep starring at the pics each time I'm in front of my PC! LOL)

Last edited by MissTwisties; 05-12-06 at 06:14 PM.