Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Integrated tail light

Integrated tail light

Does anyone know the law on this, or know where I could go to find out? Thinking about getting one for my SV, but don't want to spend the money to find out it's illegal.
    Also, what's a good name of something I can clean my rims with? I've got alot of grease build up, and my S100 doesn't penetrate it very well.
    Thanks alot,
    Aaron

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Everybody to the limit!

Integrated tail light

If it's not DOT approved (and integrated blinkers aren't), it's tacitly illegal. Not to say the handcuffs will be coming out, but they can fail you on inspection if they're strict and the 5-0 could theoretically write you a ticket for it too.

As for cleaning your rims, try WD-40. The results will amaze you.

Integrated tail light

Cool, thanks Honclfibr.

Everybody to the limit!

Integrated tail light

No problem. Protip for the cheap, WD-40 is 90% kerosene (paraffin) with a bit of aromatics added, it's the kerosene that bonds with the grease and acts as a cleanser. WD-40 is nice and convenient in the spray bottle, but if you're hard up for the bucks you will find that kerosene will do the job just as well for all applications that WD-40 is used in.

This means, of course, that WD-40 makes a lousy lubricant. It's designed to get the grease off and leave a light film that will displace water (WD = Water Displacer). Clean your chain with it if you desire (I do), but make sure to use chain wax afterwards.

Integrated tail light

Tyipcally the undertails are illegal even with DOT lights on them. They are harder to see. This passed on my bike. http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...threadid=20990
    He gave me a little bit of a hard time and just let me know it was illegal but gave me the sticker anyway.

I think youll find most places are kind of cool with this stuff. They realize that we all like to mod our bikes.

Just an FYI I went to Moms south for my sticker this year and they were cool about it.

James

Integrated tail light

I know the inspection won't be a problem at all, my best friend's dad/family runs a dealership up here and i'm there enough that other employees know me pretty well, so i guess i could probably go for it with out a problem. We'll see. Thanks again guys.

in CT you dont even need signals

www.bostonmoto.com

Forum Rules
    Heres a condom. I figured since youre acting like a dick, you should dress like one too.

Integrated tail light

Just a word of caution. When you do stuff that is not DOT approved, be extra polite when you get pulled over for speeding. If you are rude, they will have an excuse to look a little closer at your bike and find reasons to up your contribution to the state or town. There are plenty of bikes out there now with illegal "ape hanger bars" and of course, straight pipes. These things tend to be overlooked if you aren't being an A**hole.

Integrated tail light

Originally posted by Tabby
    Just a word of caution. When you do stuff that is not DOT approved, be extra polite when you get pulled over for speeding. If you are rude, they will have an excuse to look a little closer at your bike and find reasons to up your contribution to the state or town. There are plenty of bikes out there now with illegal "ape hanger bars" and of course, straight pipes. These things tend to be overlooked if you aren't being an A**hole.
    This is also a good idea when getting inspected. Make friends with the guy and he is likely to over look things like my undertail which he said was illegal but he would let it go.

As for MA as far as I know your bike is supposed to have all the same(simular) equipment it had from the factory. So if the bike orginally came with signals youre supposed to have signals on it. You can change them but they are supposed to be DOT approved.

James

Integrated tail light

Originally posted by union
    Tyipcally the undertails are illegal even with DOT lights on them. They are harder to see. This passed on my bike. http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...threadid=20990
    He gave me a little bit of a hard time and just let me know it was illegal but gave me the sticker anyway.

I think youll find most places are kind of cool with this stuff. They realize that we all like to mod our bikes.

Just an FYI I went to Moms south for my sticker this year and they were cool about it.

if a shop does you a favor such as passing you illegally, you should probably show them the respect to NOT post their name on a public forum where cops can read

Integrated tail light

I take my bike to this V-twin place for choppers and Harleys. It's great. I have an undertail and everthing and the guy just says "is this what the new bikes come like now?"

Integrated tail light

Originally posted by IanfromMA
    if a shop does you a favor such as passing you illegally, you should probably show them the respect to NOT post their name on a public forum where cops can read
    Ya well maybe I should have worded it a bit differently anyway. The lights themselves are fine and I think on a non dual pipe bike you wouldnt have a problem with a tail like mine. He didnt like the placement of the signals because he said they could be hard to see. Its a boarderline call. I think if I had the stock pipes on it there wouldnt have been an issue at all since they mount a bit lower.

James

Integrated tail light

I have one on my bike but not satisfied with the clarity of the
    message given to whoever rides behind me.

So I added a couple of LED signals on my rear peg where there is a bungee hook. Legally, I meet the letter of the law. (distance from center)

I just want to communicate where I am going so that no idiot cuts into my turn.

Integrated tail light

I went to the dealership I bought it from with an integrater and they said that the law is the signals must be nine inches apart. An integrator is zero, so they wouldn't pass it. My advice is to look around. You'll find a place that will do it, esp. if you go to a car dealership.

Integrated tail light

Originally posted by The Caveman
    I went to the dealership I bought it from with an integrater and they said that the law is the signals must be nine inches apart. An integrator is zero, so they wouldn't pass it. My advice is to look around. You'll find a place that will do it, esp. if you go to a car dealership.
    The guy told me 6 inches off the center line. On my tail I have both LED blinkers that are off to the side which are 6 inches off the center line and the brake light which blinks either side depending which way im going.

As for adding more. I have been debating that myself. Unfortunately I dont have passenger pegs on my bike atm and unless I drop the 200 for the relocators I wont have a set on it. Im going to have to fab up a set somehow.

James

Integrated tail light

Hey James:

I found something that would work with our high mount systems.
    If I end up with issues passing the inspection I will probably order one of these set ups.

http://chaparral-racing.com/Chaparra...=false&GiftID=

If the links do not work go to Chaparralmotorsports web site and do a search for items #'s
    L122-0040 or L122-0041
    &
    L122-0050 or L122-0051

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Integrated tail light

Originally posted by Half Squid
    Hey James:

If I end up with issues passing the inspection I will probably order one of these set ups.

If the links do not work go to Chaparralmotorsports web site and do a search for items #'s
    L122-0040 or L122-0041
    &
    L122-0050 or L122-0051
    Thanks

When I search the number the parts come up but no photos. Were there any there of those?

James

Integrated tail light

Originally posted by union
    Thanks

When I search the number the parts come up but no photos. Were there any there of those?
    Photos came up for me.
    How are these links?
    http://chaparral-racing.com/Chaparra...1EB851D82CFFED

http://chaparral-racing.com/Chaparra...1EB851D82CFFED

www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Integrated tail light

My new set up is a LED integrated. I know the shop I go to will pass it. So if you want I can tell you were the shop is. They inspect mostly Hardleys and if 90% of those not being stock pass than mine is more than legal by their standards!

www.tailofthedragon.com

Integrated tail light

Originally posted by Currently
    So I added a couple of LED signals on my rear peg where there is a bungee hook. Legally, I meet the letter of the law. (distance from center)

I just want to communicate where I am going so that no idiot cuts into my turn.

you got pics of the LED's you added?

Integrated tail light

what do thos actually do?

Integrated tail light

Originally posted by SmokennFasTT
    what do thos actually do?
    Did you check these links? Thats where you'll find the pics.

I do not have a pic with the integrated lights yet. I still need to get some stock connectors to hook up the directionals portion.

Hopefully this week I will be done with everything and riding again, I will be sure to get up some pics.

Mike

www.tailofthedragon.com

Integrated tail light

Did you check these links? Thats where you'll find the pics.

I do not have a pic with the integrated lights yet. I still need to get some stock connectors to hook up the directionals portion.

Hopefully this week I will be done with everything and riding again, I will be sure to get up some pics.

Mike
    i saw the pics. it looks like there just reflectors that hook on the lic plate?

Integrated tail light

Originally posted by SmokennFasTT
    i saw the pics. it looks like there just reflectors that hook on the lic plate?
    Nope those are directional for those hard to place spots like on our RC's with high mount exaust. Still illegal seeing they are not 6" apart, but a harley shop would pass them!

www.tailofthedragon.com

Integrated tail light

so do they hook on the lic plate? or mebby im just bein retarted

02 R1
    06 WRX STi Sold
    01 RC51-STOLEN
    03 XR400 R(TARD) - Sold

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast