Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Intercoms

Intercoms

Anyone have any experience using Autocom radio/intercoms? I'm thinking of getting Jen and I a set or their Pro-M1's.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Bikeless Prick

Intercoms

I've never used Autocom... Amy and I were using Chatterbox HJC-50. One word... SUCKS!

Intercoms

From information I have gathered on the LDRiders list, Autocom is the only way to go. I understand they are expensive, but cheaper than tryin out everything else thats cheaper first only to find out you shoulda spent the money on autocom first.

I tried making a homemade com system but I had many problems even though the range & volume were decent, the boom mike was producing some RF signal that interfered with my Valentine.

I am also looking at the pro M-1, I will use it with my Radio Shack FRS unit or Midland CB depending on where I am riding, I will possibly get a GMRS unit also which would provide the best range if other riders also used GMRS

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Intercoms

Yeah Randy I've tried a chatterbox before and they sucked the big D... I plan on using the Pro-M1 with the Motorola talkabouts that I have (FRS) so that should make it a fairly compatible bike to bike system with anyone else using autocom stuff with a FRS I hope... either way I think that is the way I'm going to go once I see what I'm getting back for taxes.

Intercoms

ChatterBox's quality and advertising practices have gone downhill bigtime. I used to recommend these units a few years ago, but not anymore. I bought 3 of their top-of-the-line 5 ile range units. they sucked. We couldn't even talk within 2 bike lengths. Forget about ANYWHERE near 5 miles. Motorcycle Accessory Warehouse (which doesn't warehouse a damn thing, they just call suppliers and get stuff drop shipped to themselves, then re-box items and send them to you) ran advertising supplied by ChatterBox that the units included a spare battery. When they arrived, they only had some battery compartment that you are supposed to add your own AA batteries into. No spare NiMH battery at all. Ummm, can you say deceptive advertising? Long story short, MAW sucks. These bastards are in Colorado Springs. Called in a favor to put some pressure on them to refund our money. They did. It was better than having the ChatterBox unit shoved up their ass I guess. Don't waste your time or money on ChatterBox.

Intercoms

Ive heard nady makes a decent intercom system for bikes. Ive heard it blows away the chatterbox setsups. I think there a couple hundred for a pair of them. Though, I must say I haven't tried them myself so I dont know if its true or not. But, it might be worth checking out.

[Edited on 2/12/02 by abbeth]

Hey did you see that cop RevHappy's Avatar

Intercoms

Chip can you tell me what a M-1? Have a website to refer me to?
    TIA

Intercoms

http://www.anyspeedguaranteed.com/

That is the link to autocom's website... the Pro-M1 is the system I believe Jen, Todd and myself are going to get.

Intercoms

Chip if you do want to get a pair and I know Todd is interested and if there are a few others that are interested. I will talk to them and see what kind of group discount we can get.. Once they give me an Idea I can post it in a few other forums that may be interested is well... just need a count and when everyone is ready...

Intercoms

I'm definately interested in a group buy if it is a substantial savings, but its not really in my budget right now, so it would have to be substantial.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Intercoms

I know a lot of people have had problems with their Chatterboxes... but I have to differ... My wife and I have the 2 mile range FRS units and have had great luck with them... even at speeds on the highway we still talk fine...

Maybe we got lucky... who knows...

Mike

Intercoms

Chatterbox may or may not be ok as far as reception & clarity, unless they make a product that I haven't seen, they don't cut it for me, a unit on the side of my helmet is unacceptable, I don't want to have to take the helmet off to see what channel I am on, I want a PPT switch within reach of my left thumb when using my clutch, I make too many noises inside my helmet to use VOX. I also want to have my radio & other accessories where I can readily see them , on handlebar mounts. If chatterbox makes a unit meeting my configuration specs, I will consider it.

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Intercoms

I do know that you can get the PPT button that mounts onto your handlebar... I haven't used it but it is in the accessories broucher that came with the unit... as far as on the helmet goes... I do wear mine like that but my wife wears hers on her belt... still has no issues with reception and it is more comfortable for her... if you use a radio with the Chatterbox it is where ever you want to mount it... only the audio wire attaches to the Chatterbox... so the radio can be where ever...

But whatever... I don't sell em'... just use em'... go with what makes ya smile...

Mike

Intercoms

Randy only smiles when he's lit...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Intercoms

I spoke with the NY importers of the Autocoms today.. they do not discount them for sale in bulk so that idea is out. And they don't work with the 289 Motorola frs radios I have so that kinda sucks too.. I did find the Kenwood Xl radio that they sell for 195.00 (vs their 249.00) so that'll save some money plus it does have 7 frs frequencies that can be used to chat with other frs radios and a removeable antenna (remote mount for bikes) along with 2 watts of power. So although kinda expensive that so far seems the route I'm going to run for Jen and I.. (there goes the tax check....)