Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Intergrated brake / turn signals legal in Mass?

Intergrated brake / turn signals legal in Mass?

Hi guys,

Are those intergrated brake, turn signals legal here in Mass? I sold my Speed Triple, and picked up an Aprilia RSV4. It already has the intergrated turn signal/brake light on it. Looks sweet, but not sure if I am going to have issues with inspection. (I bought it in NJ)

I know we need a plate light (which i need to add...because NJ must have have very loose laws...as it did not have one) Is there a place where I could read the motorcycle laws for Mass?

Thanks
    Jay

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Intergrated brake / turn signals legal in Mass?

Contact the Motorist Hotline (866) 941-6277 for an official answer, or check with your local inspection station.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

There is nothing in the MA inspection criteria that outright forbids them, however, there is a required minimum separation distance between rear directional of 9 inches (measured from the center of the lights). I'm guessing your integrator, as well as just about every other one on the market, doesn't meet this requirement.

On the other hand, integrated turn signals are known to pass at many inspection stations. You just have to find the right one and hope they are nice to you.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "...i would seriously bite somebody right in the balls..." -bump909

Unless they are really good integrated units, they are pretty dangerous. Many of the aftermarket LED integrated lights are shit when it comes to being able to see them in daylight, brake light included. It's tough enough keeping from getting run over.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZX-12R View Post
    There is nothing in the MA inspection criteria that outright forbids them, however, there is a required minimum separation distance between rear directional of 9 inches (measured from the center of the lights). I'm guessing your integrator, as well as just about every other one on the market, doesn't meet this requirement.

On the other hand, integrated turn signals are known to pass at many inspection stations. You just have to find the right one and hope they are nice to you.
    You are sort of incorrect, all lights on any vehicle in Mass MUST be D.O.T. Approved. (it will have rased letters on the lense saying that it is) if they are not they are illegal no matter how far they are separated, how bright or how visible they are.

I was pulled over by the state police motorcycle inspector. I had mine on my bike for 4 years so more than likley you will never have an issue but whether you do or don't they are not legal to have on the bike and you can get a ticket for them.

Also they are horrible for visibility unless you get a really good one.

The company that I got my new signals from sells DOT approved smaller signals, I also got a DOT approved plate light from them. http://www.kandstech.com/

Last edited by scubasteveRR; 04-19-13 at 09:07 AM.

I don' think they are. If I remember it correctly not only do the blinkers have to be visible at a certain distance but they also have to be at least 1 feet apart from one another.

Take a ride down here to Spencer Ma and visit Barnstorm Cycles. The kid who runs the place is pretty cool and probably let you pass, given all the custom bikes he makes that have no turn signals at all. Wait til you see his bobbed Knucklehead. Nothing on it that isn't absolutely essential for it to run other than the registration plate. It's even got a lever on the side of the tank that is both the shifter and the clutch.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Jay you can definitely pass the mass inspection with the intergrated blinkers if that was the question, They will make you put the plate light on. I know a place that passed me not far from you if you want the name PM me for it.

Even if you pass the inspection you can still get a ticket for not having the lights up to par. I think the chance of you getting a ticket is slim but it's possible.

Thanks guys for the replys. I too was worried about it being hard to see on the bike. But that is def not the case. I dont believe this is a cheap ebay unit. It is very bright even in direct sunlight...so I am not to worried there. I do have the stock tailight that was included in the sale of the bike, So if I need it, I can use it.

ScubaSteveRR, I pm'd you.

SprintPoser, I may have to check that place out. Didnt know anyone making custom bikes in the spencer area.

Thanks again guys

Jay

I ran into this issue yesterday trying to get my bike inspected. unfortunately up here in maine it does not pass so i had to buy separate turning signals. good luck with yours!