Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

iPhone Bike Mount?

iPhone Bike Mount?

There are some of us blessed with the gift of spacial awareness, and there are some of us that are not. I'm in the latter group; without a GPS, I'm like a fish out of water. I looked into buying a dedicated GPS unit for my bike, but they all seem to be pretty pricey (>$400) and not that well received. I have an iPhone 4 that I use frequently for navigation, that I'd like to bring over to my bike somehow. Basically, I need two things to do so:

1) Waterproof 12V power outlet
    2) Waterproof / shock resistant iPhone handlebar mount

From what I understand, you can either tap into the wiring harness or just directly bolt onto the battery. I'd like a mounting point somewhere near / on the handlebars, but I assume I can look around somewhere for one. Don't really know of any good cases, which is where I'm hopping to get some recommendations for.

Any help as far as outlets, how / where to wire up, or cases would be appreciated. Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: iPhone Bike Mount?

Step 1: Mount Iphone
    Step 2: Jail break Iphone
    Step 3: Facetime while riding

Friends don't let friends wave to Can Ams

Check these out for a I phone mount
    http://www.motodracing.com/gps_camera_mount.html

K8 GSXR 600

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

What kind of bike will this be on? That will help determine the best options. I just went through this on my CBR so I can give you my two cents on the particular application for that kind of bike.

As was posted above me, the RAM Mounts are probably your best option for price, and versatility in mounting locations. I've got the finger mount mentioned above but you should check the RAM Mount website, I'm pretty sure they have Iphone specific cradles that will be a better option. Then you can just figure out where you want it to mount and pick up the applicable parts from them as well. I went with the stearing stem base mount which worked out great, but they also have a simple handle bar mount if you've got bars to bolt to.

Also you may want to consider a powered usb port instead and just run your iPhone charging cable to that, it's much smaller than the 12v outlet. I bought a 12v outlet to hook up but once I started looking for a place to mount it I realized it was a little bulky at would be too difficult to finid a decent mounting place, at least on my bike. Hope that helps.

Where did you find a USB power port for sale? Are they at all waterproof?

Bike is a 250 ninja, and will mounted on the handlebars.

This is what I got, pricey for what it is but it's the only place I was able to find that. http://burnsmoto.com/usb-power-socket-weatherproof.php. I wired into a spare quick connect plug for the battery tender so it's got it's own fuse and it's wired straight to the battery. I would check the ram mount site to see what iphone cradles they offer that are waterproof.

Where are you located? Interested in taking a ride to Rhode Island next Saturday?

Twisted Throttle is having our open house (see here: http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...e-dale-ri.html) and we have a bunch of solutions for mounting gadgets and devices. Your phone should be no problem.

I use this bag for my Iphone http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade...view/2688/441/. And yes, it's really waterproof. RAM mounts will most likely be the cheapest way, and there are a couple that would work depending on where you want it in the cockpit. You can call as well and we'll be happy to walk you through it, but the benefit of coming to the event is that we can fit it right up to your bike and show you all of the options.

Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281