Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Iron Butt

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Thumbs up Iron Butt

I was planning to cannonball on down to FL to visit Me Ma who broke her femur. Was talking to Joel this weekend and he said if you are riding down I should participate in the Iron Butt program.

Seemed simple enough.
    Kate verify I left.
    1st stop to top off the bike close to home.
    Every 300 miles stop for gas. ( I could go to 350 but am limited by the program) Get receipt, verify time date stamp, write down mileage
    1500 miles later stop at station to fill up and final receipt and have pops verify I arrived. All in 20 hours (I now it says in 36) but I figure in and around 20 (AV 75 MPH)/21(AV 70 MPH hours

Fill out form, provide route, copy of receipts, verification beginning and end confirmation and $.

Am I missing anything else?

http://ironbutt.com/rides/ss1000.htm

Could apply for the Bun Burner Gold but I need to do the saddle sore first...

items list. I'll keep updated/modified

GPS
    Cell
    Powerlet charger/voltage indicator

Gear:
    Aria full face helmet
    Earplugs
    Tinted Pinlock (Dark Smoke, Yellow)
    Scorpion Commander Jacket (Water Proof)
    Macna Pant (Waterproof)
    Tourmaster Boot (Water Proof)
    gloves 2x pair
    Mesh jacket (HOT weather)
    depending on the temperatures (Heated liner + gloves) comfort will help with endurance
    MTB padded bike shorts'
    Wicking shirts'
    Socks'

Consumables:
    Electrolytes water
    GU (Thinking back to my MTB days) possibly GU ROCTANE ENERGY GEL
    Red Grapes
    Kind bars
    Tucks (long time sitting)
    Advil/Tylenol to start the day and throughout
    Jerky
    chapstick

Bike components:
    Tank Bag
    Fast Pass (tolls)
    Tire plugs
    Mini compressor
    tools
    plexus (shield cleaning for major bug cleaning)
    rags
    zip ties
    Flashlight - on the cellphone
    Oil Filter and Socked for oil change in FL

Looking to pick up helmet communicator! possibly Senna. Anyone looking to get rid on theirs?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by nt650hawk; 05-03-18 at 08:27 AM.
    Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Re: Iron Butt

Traffic

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    Traffic

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Gino
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

not a BBG, but you can apply for the BB (1.5k in 36) concurrently with your SS1k

your plan is ambitious, doubt you'll make it as quickly as you expect

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

realistically what should be expecting?

Gino

I drove to Fla a lot during college (parents lived there, I went to school in Worc). I could only average around 50mph and that was doing 70-80 on open highways. To do a bunch faster than that, you have to really hustle the pit stops and hope for open roads. I was never in that big of a hurry.

Dad's Dream: Earn enough money to live the life that his wife and kids do.

Gas, Piss and go every 300 miles is what i'll be looking to do. in an out no longer than 10min for the stops

I COULD cather on up. anyone do this? Just don't follow too close to me!!!!

Last edited by nt650hawk; 04-30-18 at 12:14 PM.
    Gino

kewwwwl....do iiiiiit

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    Gas, Piss and go every 300 miles is what i'll be looking to do. in an out no longer than 10min for the stops
    Using easy math, at an avg speed of 60 mph you are effectively losing 10 miles of travel during these stops. Sounds like you are planning on 5 fuel stops so that's 50 miles lost to stops.

Since you must average higher than 60 to acheive your goal, you are losing a whole lot more mileage during stops.

I've been riding 20k miles a year for a few years now and wanted to try it (they also have one for all 49 continental states, I think that's like a 2 month thing or something though) from my research, this has more to do with having iron buns than speed. If you are only stopping for gas and driving the speed limit, it is designed for you to make it. In all honestly, stopping for gas won't take 10 mins. Stop on highway stops, plan them out ahead of time, and fuel up at the pump without getting off, should take like 2-3 min to pump 5 gal in and ride away.

Good luck, definitely don't speed please, after riding that long you will be a hazard even at the speed limit

Edit as I reread your post: Ok so the challenge is meant to be done at speed limits, but only if you use all the allotted time. Where you are looking to cut 16 hours off a 36 hour trip (a 40% reduction is ambitions) you will be forced to speed. So 1500 miles, stop every 300 miles that's 6 stops not 5 because you will need to stop at least 300 and will not find gas stations exactly every 300. Allow yourself one bathroom break, urine only, laxative the night before if u really need to lol. So say it really only takes you 2-3 min to gas up at a highway stop, ramps only no light/stop signs (go practice/time yourself and see) thats 3 min x 5 stops = 15 min and one 10 min stop, so 25 min total. 20 hours less .5 hour gives you 19.5 to make it 1500 miles = 76.9 MPH - This will not work! I never tried these challenges because after checking around on police and iron buns related forums, I can guarantee you 77 MPH will get you pulled over and ticketed, if not in bracelets in some states. It is not like NE in many places, the cops do not take any shit whatsoever from bikers. many people were clear that Florida is a notorious iron buns destination and speeding on a Florida based iron buns challenge is pretty much a guaranteed ticket, weather in Florida, Georgia, Virginia, or Louisiana. If you still go for it you may be ok, I know it was Louisiana Staties that wrote the most, but those were people going for the coast to coast challenge (touch both oceans before you go to sleep)

Basically: your going to need 23.5 hours to make it averaging 65 mph (1500/65 = 23 + .5) which is really doable and would still be a really solid time, and 22 to make it at 70. I would aim for the 22+ mark, but you can see within this range of speeds 5 mph is a 1.5 hour difference, and a 1.5 hour difference is 5 mph; you cant be taking 10 mins getting gas or you will have to be hauling, the time is saved at stops not speeding

Last edited by k1200s; 04-30-18 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    realistically what should be expecting?
    one thing to remember, the Ironbutt Association does not award speeding, if it is not possible to make the route you take, without speeding, they won't issue the certificate

you don't have to do much planning for a SS1k or BB1500, just ride, don't dally around, and get your receipts at stops, and specifically at corners in your route, for instance I did my initial SS1000 from Barnstead, NH to Columbia, SC, via Binghamton, NY, had I not gone west to Binghamton, a direct route to Columbia would have been less than 1000

BBG is a whole different animal, it's a tough ride east of Mississippi cause of lower speed limits, I did mine from Newington, NH to Joplin, MO, weeks before I started, I knew every fuel stop, I knew where construction was, and just to make sure my planned pace was attainable and my fuel economy didn't go to hell, I did a 775 mile "training ride" (got up at 2am, had breakfast in New Jersey and back home by noon)
    I was originally planning to get to the Ozarks thru Little Rock, but that route had me on I81 in VA stuck behind a truck trying to pass a truck on a 5 mile uphill, or thru Knoxville the wrong time of day for traffic

After hours and hours of running routes & fuel stops on google earth, I ended up modifying to the Joplin route, input into my gps with fuel stops, the rest was easy, just riding

RandyO
    IBA#9560

oh ya, I had to keep my GPS at a steady 80 mph to have an average 66mph and 73mph average rolling speed

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Did a SS1k by driving from central Mass up to Caribou ME over to Conway NH and back home. Bearly over 1k and just under 24 hours and I was as dead tired as I've ever been.

Did the BB1.5k on a ride back from Sturgis SD. Much easier and even spent about 5 hours in a hotel bed.

Like said before, plan on your trip taking longer than you think.

Shit Corey says:
    Quote Originally Posted by hondarider102 View Post
    I think that a smooth motor would help me be a bit smoother

Thanks all. I am currently planning out the fuel stops along the way. I'm not looking to break the speed limits. +5 is usually how I roll unless all the traffic is rolling along at an upper pace.

Last edited by nt650hawk; 05-01-18 at 08:15 AM.
    Gino

Ohh Lax the night before good one. But what will keep me going thru the day?

Thinking water with electrolytes in a camel-back bladder

For those nutritionist out there. what at the high energy non filling foods out there that can fit in a tank bag?

Gino

Thinking of riding the Hyperstrada down to DC this week (and back the next day), so thanks for making that sound totally reasonable by comparison.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by feralchimp View Post
    Thinking of riding the Hyperstrada down to DC this week (and back the next day), so thanks for making that sound totally reasonable by comparison.
    piece of cake

Gino

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i did the new england SS1k in about 20hours. that included stopping for dinner. that one consists of taking RT2 from Bangor to Burlington. speed limit never exceeded 45. never bothered to turn in the paper work though.
    in all honesty, doing the 1k or even the 1.5k is more mental than it is about time. 36 hours is plenty of time to do 1500 miles of highway (24 might be pushing it). you could stop and eat 2 or 3 times and probably take a nap too.

Last edited by SVRACER01; 05-01-18 at 02:56 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    i did the new england SS1k in about 20hours. that included stopping for dinner. that one consists of taking RT2 from Bangor to Burlington. speed limit never exceeded 45. never bothered to turn in the paper work though.
    in all honesty, doing the 1k or even the 1.5k is more mental than it is about time. 36 hours is plenty of time to do 1500 miles of highway (24 might be pushing it). you could stop and eat 2 or 3 times and probably take a nap too.
    my initial SS1k &BB1.5k , completed the 1k in about 20 hours as well, I also had some slower going, took RT 9 all the way to Albany, NY before I hit highway, right from the start, I hit some black ice on my way to Stoneman's (he was my starting witness) bear in middle of Rt 9 in VT. Several deer on I-88 and carb icing. From Binghamton south, I was in rain. Coming down the mountain on I-77 was heavy fog, as slow as 30 mph at times.

When I got to Columbia, SC, my 1k ending witness treated me to a nice sit down meal, I got a hotel room and 6 hours of sleep before heading out in the rain, cold rain, thank god for heated gear & grips. Suddenly at the FL line it stopped raining and it was 90° and humid, made it to Pt. St. Lucie with plenty of time to spare

I had rain a portion of my BBG as well, maybe 200-300 miles, not 900 miles like my SS/BB ride

My next planned ride is a 50cc, going to attempt the "long way" (any 50cc over 3000 miles) starting at the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard and ending at the San Diego Naval Base (3100 miles) Route is same length whether I go thru Lincoln, NE as the halfway point, or Joplin, MO as a halfway point. This ride could qualify as 2 BBGs back to back if I can complete in 48 hrs instead of the allotted 50 hrs to make it coast to coast

If I am unsuccessful, I will make the conventional SanDiego to Jacksonville route that is only 2300 miles

I will most likely take the more southern route thru Joplin, just cause I have the first half already planned if I use my BBG routing

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Have any of you done the SS1K riding with someone else? My Dad did it a few years ago with his V-Strom 650 and a friend on his Harley. He said riding alongside someone else helped.
    Now that I've traded in the cramped Sprint ST for a more comfortable Rocket III, I've been thinking of giving the SS1K a try!

2017 Triumph Rocket III Roadster

Cages: 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4x4 Diesel, 2005 Escalade

As someone who has done probably 50 or so car trips between New England and North Carolina, timing your departure is what's most beneficial to maintaining a good average speed. Southbound I always found it best to leave by 3:00 am, this typically puts you south of NYC before traffic gets too bad (it's still not great) and then well south of Baltimore/DC before the afternoon rush, if you're ambitious you can make it past Richmond as well. I'd plan on getting south of Richmond, have a stop with a good meal and a nap, then saddle up for the home stretch. The last bit down to Florida is just flat, boring super-slab, I expect your biggest challenge will be staying awake.

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    As someone who has done probably 50 or so car trips between New England and North Carolina, timing your departure is what's most beneficial to maintaining a good average speed. Southbound I always found it best to leave by 3:00 am, this typically puts you south of NYC before traffic gets too bad (it's still not great) and then well south of Baltimore/DC before the afternoon rush, if you're ambitious you can make it past Richmond as well. I'd plan on getting south of Richmond, have a stop with a good meal and a nap, then saddle up for the home stretch. The last bit down to Florida is just flat, boring super-slab, I expect your biggest challenge will be staying awake.
    +1,000,000

plan is to leave early enough to get past Richmond on 95.

With all the construction on 95 the 78/81/77 may be a better option . this will add 95 miles to the trip BUT may get there earlier if traffic creeps up. anyone travel 81-77 before? how is it?

Last edited by nt650hawk; 05-03-18 at 09:28 AM.
    Gino

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by loudbeard View Post
    As someone who has done probably 50 or so car trips between New England and North Carolina, timing your departure is what's most beneficial to maintaining a good average speed. Southbound I always found it best to leave by 3:00 am, this typically puts you south of NYC before traffic gets too bad
    I have usually used the same approach with making the departure time the important part. The only difference being I would leave early enough to get me past Richmond before the morning rush hour. That trip usually takes between 10 and 11 hours so say the morning traffic gets bad at 7:00AM around Richmond I would aim to leave the Boston area around 8:00PM. This puts you after evening commute in Boston and past Richmond before morning commute there gets in the way. As was mentioned after Richmond it is just slabbing it all the way to Florida on boring, flat, straight highways.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

YUP

Gino

an even easier solution to the 95 corridor traffic, is to do what I did, head west to Binghamton (or Scranton, or Harrisburg depending on mileage needed and final destination)and go south on 81

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    RandyO
    IBA#9560

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast