Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

New Jersey Motorsport Park - Thunderbolt

New Jersey Motorsport Park - Thunderbolt

I just spent my weekend doing a two-day trackday down at Thunderbolt and just finished editing and putting up the videos to youtube.

It was my first time there and first time on a track bigger than Loudon and boy was I in for a shock. Signed up for the intermediate group thinking 'Oh I'm kind of fast at Loudon so this should be the same.' Pretty much wrong. Ran off track in the second session as everyone else pace was faster than mines and I had NO IDEA WHERE THE LINES were on this track. Bumped down to beginner just to get more of a feel for it and I must say it was the right choice.

End of the first day I got the lines down on where I needed to be, what gear to be in in which turns, where to brake, where to accelerate and it made for a great first day of learning. Day two was just as fun as my pace picked up tremendously, and you have to love that long front straight! Although I did run off twice again and eventually had a low-side in the last session - bike is fine but my LV carbon tip has a little rash on it :thumbdown. Aside from this I must say I love this track - the amenities kind of blow but otherwise fantastic weekend. Have to thank Tony's Trackdays for their always wonderful organized trackdays! :toocool:

a few laps around Thunderbolt;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0aQZfx0lB0M

the lowside;
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epdl3KrsKk0&feature=plcp

enjoy :sing

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: New Jersey Motorsport Park - Thunderbolt

I remember that crash...I was right behind you. Glad to hear you are OK.

Fantastic two days of ripping! Jersey is definitely a different world from Loudon. Different skills, different bike setup, different visual/mental approach. But it is a FUN track. It flows well, and many sections are linked with multiple turn setups. On he other hand, it is somewhat forgiving if you do mess up. Great runoff almost everywhere.

I never miss a jersey day if I can help it.

Paul_E_D

Holy earthquake video Batman!

Glad you're OK, hope the bike didn't suffer too much. It does look like the track was designed with plenty of safe runoff, and the bike didn't appear to have hit anything.

When you & the bike are all better, try and find a better place to mount the video camera. Or, get some Ohlins forks.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    Fantastic two days of ripping! Jersey is definitely a different world from Loudon. Different skills, different bike setup, different visual/mental approach. But it is a FUN track. It flows well, and many sections are linked with multiple turn setups. On he other hand, it is somewhat forgiving if you do mess up. Great runoff almost everywhere.

I never miss a jersey day if I can help it.
    that was my first time there. awesome track. never thought i would wish that I lived closer to Jersey.

the heat on Monday was brutal though. I ran out of my beverages by about 3 and the concessions were closed so I was going to call it a day but a guy in my group gave me 3 bottles of water (if your reading this thanks ). Thats the other great thing about track days...good people out there.

Glad to hear you were okay after the low-side. When we were packing up, we saw the red flag and ambulance roll during the last red-group session but didn't ever hear what came of it. Perhaps it wasn't even your lowside that caused it.

Still, that was a great event. I'll be back in September. Humidity and heat were brutal. It wasn't until today that I felt fully rehydrated, and I drank at least a gallon of water each of Tuesday and Wednesday -- not to mention the several gallons I drank on Sunday and Monday. I think it would be easier to burn my leathers and buy new than wash them. Heavy with sweat.

Enjoyed both the classroom deconstruction and on-track work with Paul and Scott. Sunday evening was the most surreal raffle event I've experienced.

/s/ Dustin
    LRRS #767
    '09 R6 / '11 848 Evo / '99 RS250

It was pretty stifling on Monday. Not crazy hot, but definitely humid. My bike was suffering for power a bit. Nothing like last years two days of 105 degree temps.

I was running double sessions both days (instructor privilege) and I was almost ready to vomit by four o'clock on monday. I pushed on though, and had 2 great session to end the day. I was definitely taking in electrolytes and water on a regular basis though. Would not have made it otherwise.

Felt pretty good on tuesday. Even did a little recovery run.

Paul_E_D

thanks guys. yea i mean im perfectly fine, the bike as well. only damage was road rash on my LV carbon tip - other than that it has a lot of jersey dirt and rocks that i brought back!

i love the layout and the tarmac - WAY BETTER THAN LOUDON that is a definitely. a lot of sweepers and the tight turn 5, which i ran off the first session in yellow and bump down to red to learn the track. the decrease radius is a turn i have difficulties with but with more time there im sure ill be ok with it. the go-pro was double mounted (two elbows) and it was why its so shakey - i was too anxious to get out there that i put on the base plate mount crooked and had to make due.

weather wise i think SUNDAY was perfect as for MONDAY it was atrocious. heat is fine but that east coast humidity was brutal. i actually hung up my leathers about 2 sessions before the end on monday when a bug decided to face palm my eye. when tony said 'possible 30 min of yellow/red' i got too excited. the medics came out but i was fine and the bike was ride-able back to the pits.

Dude, I have you on my video! Last yellow session, you're at turn 9 in the grass, I forgot what was Tony's rules about crashes, but if it were a Penguin, they'd let ya continue on racing, so I just kept going. I realized while heading down the straight that I should've came off the track cause they ambulance truck was waiting for me to finish getting off the straight. I came around for a second pass and saw you in the same spot except you were standing up! It was a fun time, my first time at NJMP and I was only down for one day. Honestly, I was a bit intimidated by a bigger, faster track. The sound of draggin my knee at over 100mph before the straight was unthinkable. But after a few sessions, I was able to get my groove on, and was pushing for more speed through all the sweepers and I was knee over, 100mph before hitting the straight!

LOL yea man, ahh when i crashed i just got up and dust off my leathers as in the video. people kept going by me so i just stood there. i looked at the corner workers and waved my hands up as if to say 'ahhhh what do i do?' at that point i just picked up my bike and waited for the trailer.

NJMP is definitely fun and fast paced!

Sorry you fell but sounds like you made good decisions about all the rest and had a blast. Great days, I enjoyed all of the sessions... thought twice about the last one Monday but the Vitamin Water kicked in 20 minutes or so before my session and I was good to go... brain packed with good ideas from one-on-one instruction with Ken. Good times!

Dave, you looked better and better out there all weekend.

Paul_E_D

Thanks for your help Paul. Once I got a feel for the track your help Sunday was hugely valuable as I was ready to take in new info, then working with Ken the next day was great. I felt really good in the last two sessions even though for some reason I wasn't leaning the bike as far as I do at NHMS and when I rode Monticello. No clue on that last bit as I felt good about the grip, smooth surface, and wide open visuals on the track... next time I'll probably spend a session or two just focusing on turning quicker and dialing in a steeper lean each time on say 3 corners around the track. Fab track though and neat how so much of it drives what is next.

Ken thought I got down to a 1:39 - 1:40 but from Alex's telemetry (when I wasn't following Ken) I'm thinking I'm a slower and I'm sure it's hard to guess lap times there.

It was great watching you when you went past though. The lines you were using to either carry speed or get on the gas EARLY were cool.

Dave

Jersey is so fast, it's hard to use as much lean angle as many other tracks. I have to be going pretty quickly before I even touch a knee. I also think your pace was a tick above the 40 mark, 43-45-ish, which is respectable on an SV at a trackday. As a point of comparison, I don't do a lot of laps sub 38 out there with my quickest being in the 35-36 bracket.

Paul_E_D

Makes sense and those are the kind of times I was guessing based on Alex's GPS lap timer when he followed me and then later I chopped off time. I will want to work on hooking in harder on 5, 7, 8, and 9 at least though.

@Jason: Did you guys in the club rent suites? If so what did you think?

Dave

defining "budget tourer" ctbandit's Avatar

um, what's happening in the first video between 1:10 and 1:30?

I was wondering if he was bedding in new brake pads, or just really antsy to get rolling?!

Paul_E_D

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

Quote Originally Posted by ctbandit View Post
    I like to heat up my pads when I roll out. I usually just drag them.

Geesss. the first 45 seconds was an Alpinestar advertisement

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by ctbandit View Post
    I was wondering if he was bedding in new brake pads, or just really antsy to get rolling?!
    LOLOL yea ahh about that - remembered hearing that accelerating heats the rear tire and braking heats the front. i dont run warmers and im on street tires so before i go out every lap i gas and brake as much as i can to get the carcass to heat up. its habitual now.

Quote Originally Posted by davemon View Post
    Makes sense and those are the kind of times I was guessing based on Alex's GPS lap timer when he followed me and then later I chopped off time. I will want to work on hooking in harder on 5, 7, 8, and 9 at least though.

@Jason: Did you guys in the club rent suites? If so what did you think?

Dave
    you mean the suites as in the room? a few did and to me it was a little pricey, but the amenities of the shower was invaluable. and having an actual comfy place to sleep really seemed like a game winner, sleeping in a tent with no ac on a blow up mattress blows.

Quote Originally Posted by nt650hawk View Post
    I like to heat up my pads when I roll out. I usually just drag them.

Geesss. the first 45 seconds was an Alpinestar advertisement
    SORRY!! ha. i kinda like to edit em with a bit of everything from the two days. you can always fast forward

Cool on the suites (the ones with garages under them)... I should have come over to take a peek.

Once again glad you and the bike are ok, I recall your time lapse video of prepping your bike and with that kind of dedication I would "extra" hate to see you have issues.

Dave

Cool on the suites (the ones with garages under them)... I should have come over to take a peek.

Once again glad you and the bike are ok, I recall your time lapse video of prepping your bike and with that kind of dedication I would "extra" hate to see you have issues.

Dave
    yea that was me too. i hate it, taking it apart is easy - putting it back together is a PITA. but it beats killing my street farings. only downside is when i have more bolts when i finish then when i started

Quote Originally Posted by Jason P. View Post
    yea that was me too. i hate it, taking it apart is easy - putting it back together is a PITA. but it beats killing my street farings. only downside is when i have more bolts when i finish then when i started
    LOL! Good on ya though and if I get to a TTD this fall I'll try and look you up. I ride a bright blue SV650S with a chin fairing on it and wear Vanson gray/blue leathers.

Dave

Jersey is so fast, it's hard to use as much lean angle as many other tracks. I have to be going pretty quickly before I even touch a knee. I also think your pace was a tick above the 40 mark, 43-45-ish, which is respectable on an SV at a trackday. As a point of comparison, I don't do a lot of laps sub 38 out there with my quickest being in the 35-36 bracket.
    By the way Paul, even though your calm pace was too much for me it was fun to have someone I could totally OWN on the front straight.

Dave

LOL! Good on ya though and if I get to a TTD this fall I'll try and look you up. I ride a bright blue SV650S with a chin fairing on it and wear Vanson gray/blue leathers.

Dave
    we're actually doing the August trackday, come look for us! we have a banner - and ahhhhh like 10 asians, cant miss us LOL

Hey Paul, are you refering to me? Are you one of Tony's control riders?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast