Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Kawasaki Versus v. Suzuki DL650 v. Triumph Tiger

Littering and........

Kawasaki Versus v. Suzuki DL650 v. Triumph Tiger

I need some opinions from you folks, hopefully someone has ridden the above bikes.

I've given up on sportbikes, as I simply never seem to get along with them well. I want a new bike, and have honest intentions of keeping it (though I often give up on said intentions after I get bored of them ) for a long time.

I want something that is capable of handling Vermont roads - dirt and class IV included - and is still fun in the paved twisties. 2-up comfort is also a big priority.

The prices look like this:

DL - MSRP is $6699
    Versus - MSRP is $6899
    Tiger - MSRP is $10600, which pretty much makes me unable to pay cash and thus *almost* makes me not want to even consider it.

Has anyone ridden a Versus? I read in a magazine that the motor was pretty flat compared to the DL650.

Just looking for some constuctive (or fuck it, insulting if you like ) input.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Kawasaki Versus v. Suzuki DL650 v. Triumph Tiger

Chris,

I've read the same things about the Versys. IMHO it would make fun second bike and a great first bike. I have ridden the Tiger and the DL. They are both fun. If you are looking at 2007 models my impression is the DL is a little more capable on dirt roads and the like. Older Tigers are pretty good on both and the triple, new or old, is awesome!

Between the DL and the Versys though, my money would be on the DL!!!

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Chris, go with the WeeStrom and don't look back. I just bought one; absolutely love it. Comfortable, handles great, and that engine is terrific.

Also, the 19" front wheel will offer you better performance and more tire choices for those class 4 dirt roads. From what I've read, the Versys and Tiger 1050 have become so street-focused that they don't do well in the dirt at all (although an older Tiger 955 wouldn't be a bad choice).

As it happens, Cyclewise down in Middlebury has two matte black V-Strom 650s on the sales floor right now, and they're a great bunch of guys, unlike the, um, more local Suzuki stealership.

--mark

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    Chris, go with the WeeStrom and don't look back. I just bought one; absolutely love it. Comfortable, handles great, and that engine is terrific.

Also, the 19" front wheel will offer you better performance and more tire choices for those class 4 dirt roads. From what I've read, the Versys and Tiger 1050 have become so street-focused that they don't do well in the dirt at all (although an older Tiger 955 wouldn't be a bad choice).

As it happens, Cyclewise down in Middlebury has two matte black V-Strom 650s on the sales floor right now, and they're a great bunch of guys, unlike the, um, more local Suzuki stealership.

--mark
    Glad to hear you like the DL - seem most everyone that has one gets along well with it.

I'd really like to take a Versys for a test ride, but the only Kawi dealer has historically not offered test rides on new bikes.

As you point out though, the DL is the only one with any real consideration towards dirt riding. I had been looking for an older Tiger, but frankly couldn't find one for a reasonable price. And while I really like the new Tiger, its more of a big motard than an adventure bike.

I actually have to take a ride up to Cyclewise tomorrow to get some parts for my dirt bike, I will see what kind of deal they can work for me on a DL. I bought my DRZ from them, and they treated me reasonably well, and as you also point out Land/Air Suzuki has the customer service skills of a maximum security prison.

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by DucDave View Post
    Chris,

I've read the same things about the Versys. IMHO it would make fun second bike and a great first bike. I have ridden the Tiger and the DL. They are both fun. If you are looking at 2007 models my impression is the DL is a little more capable on dirt roads and the like. Older Tigers are pretty good on both and the triple, new or old, is awesome!

Between the DL and the Versys though, my money would be on the DL!!!
    How do any of these bikes compare to the Multi?

Quote Originally Posted by highsider View Post
    I actually have to take a ride up to Cyclewise tomorrow to get some parts for my dirt bike, I will see what kind of deal they can work for me on a DL.

What time are you going to be there? I have to swing by there in the afternoon as well to get some accessories installed. Should be there around 2:30 or so; if you see a really tall guy with a black leather jacket milling around, say hi, because it's probably me.

--mark

keeps us posted..i'm leaning this way for my next bike...i thought the versys was decent though...

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

I am close myself

I am selling the 05 Gixer 1K 12K miles never down clea,n winters in heated basement.

Until I know where I am next I won't do anything but the Kawi Versus was on the top of my list. though ministrom also good choice.

This year its DRZ for me so when I get a 650 twin I won't think its broken in the 60 vs 160 hp

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

How do any of these bikes compare to the Multi?
    Multi is closer to the Tiger. Not really off road but big vTwin power, great suspension. All day street bike or touring machine.

I can only have one street bike and the Multi is perfect for moi....

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Two-up? Buy the 1000.

LOVE my 2006.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Littering and........

Will *hopefully* have a shiny new DL60 tomorrow.

oh man thats small...

From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Littering and........

Quote Originally Posted by bigred875 View Post
    oh man thats small...
    LOL...yeah, its for my daughter.

Congratulations. That would have been my first choice if I hadn't gotten a great deal on my SV. One nice thing about it is that there's tons of information out there about this bike and engine and lots and lots of very cool after market stuff in terms of panniers and things.

You made a great choice I think.

If you took the extra cash you'd've spent on the Tiger you could set it up any way you like.

A

Me: "Normal people wouldn't do this."
    Peter: "First you have to operationalize with normal is."

Congrats! From Cyclewise? Are you getting the black one with the luggage mounted on it? Joey mentioned someone was probably buying it, and I was wondering if it was you.

--mark

Littering and........

Just got home with the new bike.

Its a DL650, I bought it at Cyclewise, and they treated me well. I'll upload a pic later, but its basically a matte black DL650.

Good luck with her

Warm it up then chamnge the oil

I think its a great choice for real world roads

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Rich, KTM dealers have demo bikes. The 990A has got some decent snort for a dork bike. If you're really interested in including dirty roads in your riding, it may be worth your time to check out.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

nice......i'm jealous..make sure to write up a review

Congrats, Chris. Did you get the Strom in basic stock form, or with accessories installed?

How'd the ride home feel?

We'll have to head out for a ride soon.

--mark

Littering and........

Here's a pic of my new toy.

I'm hoping to break it in with a good long ride to Virginia in two weeks - yay!

I haven't ridden it enough to write up much of a review. My initial impression is that it is SUPER comfy, has adequate but not thrilling power, and handles very, very well. I have ridden a few other adv touring bikes, and found them all to be a bit "wallow-y" in the twisties - ie, the rear suspension felt very unsettled with any kind of disturbance in the corner. This bike feels like an SV in the corners. Its fun.

I got a Givi hard tail bag with the bike (its on order), and I will be getting Motech crash bars and a Motech skid plate to start with. Its just stock now.

Mark, we should definitely hook up to do some riding!

Here's mine:

That was when I picked it up from the dealer last Saturday. Wednesday they installed the SW-Motech crashbars and center stand. I need a skidplate too but refuse to spend $200 for a piece of sheet metal with a few bends and welds.

Currently prioritizing the list of other accessories I want to add. Decisions, decisions.

And yeah, I agree that the Strom is very composed in the corners. I have no complaints with the stock suspension.

I'm almost done with initial break-in -- got another 150 miles or so to go before the 600-mile maintenance -- then can't wait to open it up, maybe do a day ride over to the Kanc or something.

--mark

Nice bikes!

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    I'm almost done with initial break-in -- got another 150 miles or so to go before the 600-mile maintenance -- then can't wait to open it up, maybe do a day ride over to the Kanc or something.

--mark
    If you're gonna ride the Kanc soon, I'd reccommend avoiding the Bath to Lincoln portion. I took a ride over to Lincoln last week and 112 is rougher than a bitch even on the KLR. Once you get east of Easton, it not bad, but I think standing on the pegs for that 12 mile stretch from Bath to Easton might be the easiest way to tackle it with the Strom.

...or I guess one could just slow down and take it easy. :shrug: