Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Kawasaki Z1000

Kawasaki Z1000

So who's ridden one, impression's? Check out the mileage!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Kawasaki Z1000

I have ridden one once when I swapped my fz6 with a kid I used to ride with. Tons of power and good seating position. I DID NOT like the tach. Very hard to read in the sun. Also, like most naked bikes the wind kicks your bum on the highway. It seemed like a solid bike though. I am more of a fan of the FZ1s. If you are asking because you may possibly buy it and its a good deal I think you will like it.

buy the real thing and not a re-creation

Cant beat the sound of an old 1K Kawasaki with a Kerker

Older model z...didn't really like it, but I knew a few guys to go pretty well on them. I just though the bike felt too...vague...I guess would be the best way I can describe it.

That be said, I LOVED riding the new 2010 model. That bike was super fun and with a good fly screen would be one hell of a streetbike

Last edited by Puppet; 04-10-10 at 08:09 PM.
    Brian
    LRRS/CCS EX #881
    WMRRA EX #281

i loved my 04 for the short time i had it. great bike, great motor actually the chassis is a bit vague at stupid lean...you can up grade to 636 forks and i hear it helps.

i'd highly recomend one.

EDIT: i just noticed puppet said the same thing about the vauge chassis. lol. i guess it wasn't just me.

Last edited by Evil_Weasel; 04-10-10 at 10:10 PM.
    -------------------------------------------
    Quote Originally Posted by Honclfibr View Post
    As usual, your post displays a complete lacking in any fucking idea what you're talking about.

Hey, at least you're consistent.

I say go for it, those are nice bikes and I have never heard any complaints from owners. There used to be a member here from CT who had a similar one that was really nice and ran strong. The dash is the same as the 636, you get used to it.

Nice bike.

I DON'T THINK YOUR PICTURES ARE BIG ENOUGH

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!

i rode one for a day and it was the most fun Ive had on a bike. I love the first gen (like pictured) dont care for the two newer editions, they are too bulky and plasticy

Quote Originally Posted by spicy View Post
    I DON'T THINK YOUR PICTURES ARE BIG ENOUGH
    Don't click on them.

I have had mine for 3 years, modded it extensively and still love it, it has about 12000 miles and has had no problems.
    I have done a few track days on it and it was a lot of fun but a little heavy on the track.
    I love the torque, it will pull cleanly from 30mph in top with no snatch, behaves itself but is only too eager to bring our the hooligan in you.
    I got mine after 20 years of super sports, FZR, GSXR ect and am enjoying my street riding more than ever!
    Go fo it but beware, the modding bug is lurking!
    Lots of info at riderforums.com

awesome bike.

Duct tape is like "The Force". It has a light side and a dark side, and it holds the universe together.

the old one was a parts bin bike. reworked 900 ninja motor etc... heard they vibrate like a mother and the suspension is on the cheap side. allot of guys have swapped forks with the 636 ninja's.

the new one from what i've read is night and day better.

I have one as well....mine's the white one in the background of Expat's photo, I love mine. I'm actually looking at buying the 2010 as a late model end of this year, modded up these bikes are a BLAST to ride!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    the old one was a parts bin bike. reworked 900 ninja motor etc... heard they vibrate like a mother and the suspension is on the cheap side. allot of guys have swapped forks with the 636 ninja's.

the new one from what i've read is night and day better.
    You obviously haven't ridden one.. A super street it is not, and that is what a lot of people compare them to when referring to suspension etc.
    Don't be so quick to judge... Vibration is not too bad, yes, it's there but it is in a lot of other bkes too!

Quote Originally Posted by kb1 View Post
    I have one as well....mine's the white one in the background of Expat's photo, I love mine. I'm actually looking at buying the 2010 as a late model end of this year, modded up these bikes are a BLAST to ride!

Is this before you buy the trackbike, 600ss, dual sport and parts for your car????

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    You obviously haven't ridden one.. A super street it is not, and that is what a lot of people compare them to when referring to suspension etc.
    Don't be so quick to judge... Vibration is not too bad, yes, it's there but it is in a lot of other bkes too!

oh no i have. i came real close to buying one. there a solid bike like the first gen fz1 witch i had. old z1000's just don't compare to the new ones. kawi went with an all new design and a motor made just for that bike.

I've got a 2008 Z, gen2. It fixed a lot of the little problems with the 1st gen, like the supposed vibration. It also has a reworked cam to deliver more low and medium range power than the 1st gen.

I've ridden a lot of different sportbikes and I have to say the Z1000 is the most fun I've ever had on a bike. It's not the fastest for a 1000 (it's not supposed to be), it's not the best handling (it's not supposed to be), and its not the best highway cruiser (again...it's not supposed to be), but it still goes like a bat out of hell, you can still drag peg in corners, and its an absolute blast to ride around anywhere under 70 at sustained speed. Oh and it's also a hell of a lot more comfortable than any sportbike.

I'm in my 2nd year of ownership, just rolled over 6500 miles and I don't see myself giving the bike up any time soon.

Lastly, anyone that can't handle cruising without a windscreen is a pussy.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 04-13-10 at 07:28 AM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    Lastly, anyone that can't handle cruising without a windscreen is a pussy.
    These seem to be a modern version of the ZRX1100... I'm sure there are more differences than similarities but the type of bike it is meant to be is somewhat similar... a muscular hooligan bike that does just about everything well. I <3 my 'Rex, more than I ever thought I could like a non-supersport. Makes me want to try the new Z1K real bad.

CCS/LRRS #83

One thought that springs to mind, the Gen 1 seat has a tendancy to pitch you forward towards the tank, I was forever shuffling back on mine until I switched to a Sargent seat, all is well now.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeb View Post
    oh no i have. i came real close to buying one. there a solid bike like the first gen fz1 witch i had. old z1000's just don't compare to the new ones. kawi went with an all new design and a motor made just for that bike.
    Correct, but that is for the 2010 model and I believe the motor is from a ZX10, not made just for the new model. All the previous models were a re-design of the original 03 bike. They are also a LOT more money!
    You get what you pay for, SRTieK4's post is right on the money. Horses for courses as they say! You are splitting hairs between any of the naked bikes, FZ1, SV, Z1K etc.
    If you like the riding position etc it is likely you would like any of the bikes mentioned above.

Last edited by Expat; 04-13-10 at 08:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Expat View Post
    Correct, but that is for the 2010 model and I believe the motor is from a ZX10, not made just for the new model. All the previous models were a re-design of the original 03 bike. They are also a LOT more money!
    You get what you pay for, SRTieK4's post is right on the money. Horses for courses as they say! You are splitting hairs between any of the naked bikes, FZ1, SV, Z1K etc.
    If you like the riding position etc it is likely you would like any of the bikes mentioned above.
    nah, from what I have read the new Z1000 has an all new motor made just for this model. But you are correct its overpriced.

Quote Originally Posted by katana0215 View Post
    nah, from what I have read the new Z1000 has an all new motor made just for this model. But you are correct its overpriced.
    thats what i read aswell. motor was made just for the z. no more detuned liter bike motors.

old guy with bikes

I am looking closely at this machine as well.. I will watch for more reports on the new bike. I think it would look good beside my B King