Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Kawasaki ZRX1200R ..... Eh?

After my week of riding Deal's Gap with my BEAUTIFUL Ducati, I have decided that I'm not a "Sport-Bike" person until they can make them more comfortable for longer rides. So, I have decided on buying new, or very lightly used. I really like the ZRX1200R, and was wondering if anyone had opinions about it. Please keep in mind I'm not looking for sheer speed, lightness or solely comfort, I just want a naked bike with decent power, predictable handling and a nice wide seat for my fat ass. I would just ride my CB750F, but it is a little less than reliable.

Any opinions?

Oh, and does anyone want a 2000 Ducati 900SS still under factory warranty? Makes a great father's day gift....

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

would you take a sv650S + cash for a trade for that duci ?

ZRX1200, you mean something like this

14" Biceps. So what if I am weak...

I could tell you how great the ZRX1200 is, but I am a little biased.

I will tell you that most ZRX1200s are owned by older, very responsible adults. So used ZRX1200s are usually in great shape and have never been beaten.

My bike was used, 100% stock, never raced, had barely a scratch on it, and even had 3 year extended warranty.

Also, because the ZRX1200 shares an engine similar to the ZX11, many ZX11 exhausts and performance parts will fit. This means FULL exhausts can be bought for $200-$300 brand new! Dennis Kirk had some Full Yoshi's in stock for around $319.

$500 will get: Full exhaust + jet kit + airbox mod = 130-132HP on a ZRX1200 (plus bike loses 20 pounds).

Dyno charts and info found here: http://www.zrxoa.org/forums/

Dude, go with the Yamaha FZ1. The bike is sick, and cycle world said it was the best all around rocket. Let me tell you the thing is a rocket!! My buddy has Ivan's jet kit, and an akro pipe and the thing is a screamer. Stock front end works well, stock rear will prolly need to be revalved and resprung for your weight. But comfort, value, power, style, R1 heritage, it don't get much better!!

-Feirax

With a Jet kit and Full pipe, the FZ1 and the ZRX1200 make almost exactly the same HP. There are several quotes on the FZ1 forum that state around 131-133HP (pipe+kit). The ZRX1200 is usually 130-132HP (pipe+kit).

Of course, the ZRX1200 has monster low-end and mid-range power and more torque than an FZ1.

So don't let stock peak HP fool you, modified they are almost equal.

No, I tried a SV650 last week and want something with a bit more power, especially in the midrange. Perhaps if it was brand new, we could talk. Besides, a 16 year old with a Ducati? C'mon....

I sat on the FZ1 and read a lot about it, but I still like the ZRX1200 more. I am looking at a 2002 leftover, and the 112.8 rear wheel horse is PLENTY for me. I'd rather have a bike with more low-end and midrange anyways, as the FZ1 seems like a more serious top-end bike. Aside from that, the ZRX has the hydrolic clutch and the ever-so-sexy dual shock setup of yester-year.

FZ1 is butt ugly. Sorry, but I think that. The ZRX would look BALLS if the stickers were removed, but I still think it looks decent stock. Considered the FZ1, but it just doesn't do anything for me: no passion for the looks. Looks aren't that important, but a person has to at least be attracted to their bike in my book.

The Kawasaki weighs more, and I find that to be a benefit (hold your questions, I'll explain why).

Heavier bike = more work to get it around a corner
    Lighter bike = easy to go really fast

I have more fun tossing my old 750 around in the corners at reasonable speeds than I do with my Ducati at speeds that should only be on the track. Justin, I do think you were on a SRNE ride with me last September 8th with your ZRX1200(correct me if I am wrong), and you saw that I can flog on that old beater pretty hard. It was a blast trying to keep up with the hardcore sportbikes even though they were not even pushing their machines. If they really do decide to use their machines, then thats fine, but I'm not up for that type of speed on the street. I used to be, but now I have a little more experience and "fear" of goin down hard. So I tend to like the "slower" bikes that give you the same rush without really pushin it. Right now, I have to be hittin some really fast sweepers pretty hard to get the same rush as I used to by hangin off the seat on a 550 lb. machine. Slower speeds are also easier and funner, and rougher roads don't make me cringe on a sport standard. Kickin out the back end coming out of slow corners is MUCH more fun on a sport standard, while the Ducati tends to like the whole traction concept.

I think my mind is made up, just lookin for thoughts / warnings / opinions. Any other bikes you guys think would fit the bil?

Honda 919 is kinda cool, but the Kawasaki seems like more bike for the money. V-Strom is too tall and ugly, Triumph sprint ST has bug-like headlights and is too much $$$, Speed Triple isn't comfortable.....

If anyone shows up here with $8000, they can take the Ducati from me. I want something slower!!!

I never thought I would be saying that.....

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Here's what you're after (I'd like it too!)

http://www.kawasaki.com/index2.asp?s...ycle_home.html

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

That was supposed to be a link for the Z1000, so page around a bit. Sorry

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Did you foreget about the new Kawasaki Z1000 ?

Ohhh ya , don't foreget about the hayabusa , I heard those are MADDD confortable dawgzz .. . . .

Z1000, something like this:

Z1000_Review

SRNE ride with me last September 8th
    Yup, SRNE ride was fun, best ride I have been on so far.

Kickin out the back end coming out of slow corners is MUCH more fun on a sport standard
    Be careful. If you are abrupt with the throttle with BT020's you will end up on your back (like I almost did). BT010s are recommended.

Ohhh ya , don't foreget about the hayabusa , I heard those are MADDD confortable dawgzz .. . . .
    Actually they are pretty comfortable. Speed...first gear, wide open, is a mind-changing experience!

Why Kawasaki offers two bikes...

Z1000 is targeted to younger audiences, with edgy jap. anime styling. ZRX1200 is targeted to older audiences, with classic 80s styling

I will admit, I do like the Z1000, but I would lose the exhaust RIGHT away, save 20-30 pounds, and gain HP!

I HATE Anime.

I suppose thats why I don't like the Z1000. Too edgy. I like the classic and fairly conservative look of the ZRX. I am ever more curious to find out what it looks like with the little bikini fairing removed. As with all bikini's, they look better on the ground than being worn

As I also recall, the Z1000 is more expensive. I got a leftover ZRX1200R 2002 offered to me for 7 even. I don't think an FZ1 or Z1000 could come near that price unless I went used. I am still in college, and money is still, like always, the biggest issue.

Hayabusa? Nah, too much Bling Bling for me, and I want to get rid of plastic, not get more of it! Once again, I think those things are ugly....

I know, my opinions on the asthetic appeal of bikes sure is far from the masses....

I wish they came out with a more sporty V-Max. I'd sell both bikes and my car for that in an instant!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

I personally think the V-max looks very sporty , and this is coming from a 16 (turning 17) year old , I heard it can't corner for crap tho . . . lol. But if you like drag racing , go for it

Originally posted by TheIglu
    I HATE Anime.

I suppose thats why I don't like the Z1000. Too edgy. I like the classic and fairly conservative look of the ZRX. I am ever more curious to find out what it looks like with the little bikini fairing removed. As with all bikini's, they look better on the ground than being worn

As I also recall, the Z1000 is more expensive. I got a leftover ZRX1200R 2002 offered to me for 7 even. I don't think an FZ1 or Z1000 could come near that price unless I went used. I am still in college, and money is still, like always, the biggest issue.

Hayabusa? Nah, too much Bling Bling for me, and I want to get rid of plastic, not get more of it! Once again, I think those things are ugly....

I know, my opinions on the asthetic appeal of bikes sure is far from the masses....

I wish they came out with a more sporty V-Max. I'd sell both bikes and my car for that in an instant!

I rode a V-Max ('86 too, highest horsepower year) back when I was 16, almost 17. My uncle owned it, and while my parents weren't home one day, he let me take it for a quick ride. Keep in mind I was, and still am, just shy of 130 lbs soaking wet.I fell in love with the engine instantly. I liked how solid it felt compared to my old 1979 Honda CM400T that I was riding the piss outta at the time. I got on the throttle on a pretty desolate strech of smooth rode and could barely keep up with the shifting. Once those RPM's hit about 6,000 and the V-Boost kicks in, you best be holding on tight. The thing pulled my feet off the pegs in third gear once it hit V-Boost. I was doing a superman for a hundred or so yards before I managed my way back to the pegs. It was AWESOME. That engine is the best thing Yamaha has ever built (including the R1!). The brute force of that engine could pull a stump out of the ground better than most trucks. The sound is like a VFR hopped up on crack. I like to regard the V-Max as the El Camino SS 454 of the bike world. Not very practical, but man, something inside most everyone's head wants them to get one. The looks of the bike scream out for people to "try" racin it down Main street. Even if it lost, it sure as hell looked and sounded like it won. I was thoroghly impressed with its stock power and wanted it badly. He sold it, and I never saw it again.

Would I buy one? Not for an everyday driver. It was a huge bike, and drove like it. The rake on it made for a straight line bike, as did the suspension. Look at the forks on them, they are as small as most EX500's that are a good 300 lbs lighter. They are better handling than most cruisers, but not something I would be able to toss around like a ragdoll. They are not handling machines, and probably never will be unless Yamaha gets their ass in gear with a new model. If they ever do, sign me up!!!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Originally posted by TheIglu
    <snip>Honda 919 is kinda cool, but the Kawasaki seems like more bike for the money. V-Strom is too tall and ugly, Triumph sprint ST has bug-like headlights and is too much $$$, Speed Triple isn't comfortable.....<snip>

Curious....Have you actually test ridden a Speed Triple? You can, you know. Just call around to the dealers and see who might have one to ride. Great Bay in North Hampton NH usually has one available.

The reason I say ride one, is because once you do, you'll be surprised how well-mannered it is. I don't understand why it's uncomfortable. They stopped putting low clip-ons on those a few years ago, its now a "bolt upright" seating position. There are a few leftover '02 models that can be had for under $8K. (A friend just got one for $7500OTD) If you were willing to ride a Duc, a Triumph is a very logical thing to look at, IMHO.

I'm also confused about the "bug-eye headlights" comment. That's something the Speed Triple is known for, the Sprint ST (the sister bike to my own Sprint RS) has rather normal looking headlamps. There's a LOT of new leftovers of all these models, and I know all except the Daytona can be bought under that $8K mark if you look around a little.

I'd be willing to let you try my Sprint RS if you were interested. Most people who do ride it are quite surprised.

I'll be watching to see how this plays out.

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

Thank you very much for the generous offer! I have heard nothing but praise for the Sprint, but I do really want to get back to a naked bike.

As far as the speed triple is concerned:

I have never ridden one. If I were to purchase a new bike two years ago, that would of been it. No competition at all.

I sat on the Speed Triple down at Enfield Motorsports numerous times, and it just seems as though the seat leans forward a bit much for my liking. Also, it is mounted very loose, because I can feel it shift when I move my ass around. I think the Speed Triple is simply beautiful, especially in the green or cobalt blue. Would you happen to know off hand any dealers with leftovers that would be willing to dive as low as your friend's $7500 deal? Enfield won't budge past the "already reduced" $9,999.

I am assuming you have ridden one, please excuse me if I am incorrect.

How is the suspension on a Speed Triple? I really don't want to have to invest in a new rear spring and seat for my new bike. If I was going to go through the trouble of doing that, I'd just keep the Ducati. I imagine it is fairly comfortable, but the suspension for that bike seems like more of a sport-only setup. Once again, I have not ridden one, and these are only assumptions. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated!

So glad I started this thread, it's making me think about what I REALLY want in a bike.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

The bug eye comment was directed towards the Sprint and the Trophy(please don't take offense to this!). I rather like the headlights of the Speed Triple, i couldn't picture it with anything else.

Once again, I seem to differ from the norm in my opinion of what looks good!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

My friend bought his leftover '02 Speed Triple from Springfield Indian/Triumph for $7500. I'd look around, the deals are out there. On second thought, his might be a '01.

As for the suspension, funny you should ask. Triumphs have long been mashed in the press for having "too soft" suspension. Which of course means, its setup just right for someone your size!

The one you sat on at Enfield must have been poorly setup if the seat moved around, or someone screwed around with it. They do have a weird fastening, you have to lift the corners of the upholstery near the tank to access the two bolts that hold it down (or something like that.) SKykingproducts.com sells a cheap kit to switch it over to quick-release system.

The bars on that one could be swapped out for lower ones, I dunno. The '02's & up have a different shape tank, not the squarish one of past.

I have only ridden one at a demo day when their factory truck came to a local dealer. It was much more upright (and powerful) than my RS, but I didn't care for the lack of wind protection. I only suggest a ride before you buy something else. Bear in mind, Great Bay is also now a Ducati dealer, and could likely do VERY well with a trade, and Triumph has some 3.99% financing in effect (plus other incentives.)

2021 Triumph Street Triple R, Sapphire Black

how come everyone leaves out the bandit 1200 ? , those bikes are pretty sweet for wheelies . . . lol from what I've heard.

I'll have to take a spin on up there. I was up at Valley Motorsports on Friday looking at the ZRX1200R. Perhaps this place will be able to compete with price! Speed Triple or ZRX1200R..... decisions, decisions......

Bandit 1200 is to plain-jane. Besides, an oil-cooled GSXR engine? Eh, just doesn't do anything for me. Good call though, I completely forgot about them!

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

As with all bikini's, they look better on the ground than being worn
    They look something like this, taken on Mohawk Trail, MA. Great trip!

One more, who is that in the background...

Bandit 1200 is to plain-jane. Besides, an oil-cooled GSXR engine? Eh, just doesn't do anything for me.
    Be careful with the 01' and newer Bandit 1200's, some of them burn oil! (>1 quart every 500 miles!). Suzuki has been fixing some of them. How do I know, we got a 2002 Bandit1200s in the garage!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast