Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

kawi 12r vs suzi busa vs yam FZ1

New thread following the hayabusa

If I distill my fun factor down its

Roll On POWer

2 lane drop a gear and open her up power

So who has an opinion about which of these consitute the better all day street blaster

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Glen Beck is John the Baptist

kawi Z1k!

As comfy as a sport bike gets!

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Re: kawi 12r vs suzi busa vs yam FZ1

Originally posted by richw
    New thread following the hayabusa

If I distill my fun factor down its

Roll On POWer

2 lane drop a gear and open her up power

So who has an opinion about which of these consitute the better all day street blaster

The 12R and Busa will both smoke the FZ1. The FZ1 isn't in the same class of power.

Depending on your RPMs when you take off, the typical roll on between a 12 and busa goes like this. Busa initially pulls ahead by a bike length or 2 because of its superior torque. A second or so later when the 12 has had a chance to rev a little higher, it will reel in and pull ahead of the busa slowly putting distance on it all the way to 186 where the computer says no more. (Busa = more torque | 12R = more HP). From a standstill, if both riders get a good launch, the 12 typically runs better 1/4 mile times. The 12 is quicker but it is harder to launch because of its shorter wheelbase. I could consistently launch the Busa better but my best times are all on the 12.

In terms of handling, the 12R is definitely set up to turn better than the Busa. I find the kawi much lighter and flickable espically after getting rid of the stock 200 tire and switching to a 180. The Busa however still handles well but I felt like I had to fight it more than the 12R.

The FZ1 is definitely the most comfortable though but it doesn't have enough power in my book. If you are a tall person, you will like the 12R. If you are short, the 12 might be intimidating. Both the 12 and the Busa are surprisingly comfortable but they will never be in the same class as a sit up bike like the FZ1.

It all depends on what you want! The 12 does everything I want, its a Kawasaki which is a huge ++ in my book, and I think it looks much better than the Eyeabuser!

Last edited by ZX-12R; 10-11-04 at 06:31 PM.

Betcha can't guess what I'd vote for!! I love my 12, it's got great power, I haven't ridden anything with a smoother power band, it feels like it's not even trying, quiet and fast you twist the wrist and it just goes. Oreo-N2 rode it and said it felt like a turbo bike. The 12 is very comfy, and you'd be surprised what it can do in corners, it's a blast at Loudon! Good luck either way, but you won't be dissapointed with the Kawi!

2001 Silver ZX-12R... RIP
    2005 KDX 200

Littering and........

I have some seat time on the FZ1, and it really isn't all that fast for a liter bike. Comfy, but not much wind deflection. A good all around bike for considerably less money than your other two choices.

The Busa is a bit ugly, IMO, but is supposed to be a real joy if you are into sport touring with the sport part being emphasized. Good wind deflection, decent seating position, etc.

I know nothing about the ZX12.

Good to hear from the Kawi side

I am leaning that way. I am really not into fashion much but the 05 zx-12r only comes in black. Don't like black motorcycles much; yeh yeh stealth, serious, but also hoodlum, punk etc. and hard to keep clean.

Sooo I may be accelerating the program to get a blue 04 left over. I'm gonna lurk on cycletrader and ebay and then in around January see if I can dig up the best deal say about 9700 or so.

There's a roomer that Honda will be redoing the Double Cross for 06 and that might spike a round of redesign at Suzi-Kawi but that would probably make a corporate model for both the result would probably be a camel.

Keep the inputs comming

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

A friend of mine was considering selling his 03 Green 12, I can find out if he will if you'd like green. Yosh full systen carbon can, pc3r, and it's missing a front tooth. The pc3 was custom mapped by Harry's machine. It's got low miles and a little rash on the side from rubbing a guardrail, but we could fix that easy enough.
    BTW: the silver ones are he fastest!!

2005 KDX 200

Here are some pictures of my blue '04 12R to tease you:

-Bill

I've always liked that blue!! How are the front Radial mount brakes?? I've got 04 forks in the garage just waiting for Brembo radial calipers to put on my 01!

2005 KDX 200

Why didn't you include the GSX-R1000 in that list? Isn't it one of the fastest bikes out there? I definitely like it more than the Busa because of looks and style. The Busa is too big and ugly in my opinion, and sure it is faster, but it is just too much. The GSX-R1000 is a better looking and more attractive bike. But out of the ones you listed, go for the ZX-12R. And like people have said, the FZR isn't even close to the other bikes. But in my opinion, get the Dodge Tomahawk. Do it.

My eyes low,
    Hydro,
    Leakin' out that Tahoe

Originally posted by bbhzx12
    I've always liked that blue!! How are the front Radial mount brakes?? I've got 04 forks in the garage just waiting for Brembo radial calipers to put on my 01!
    The brakes work really well but I have one small complaint, the brake lever feels too soft to me. The lever may feel soft but the brakes scrub off speed like its nobody's business, stopping the big 12 quickly and firmly. I haven't been able to push it hard enough yet to experience any fading.

I haven't had the chance to feel the brake lever on other '04s to see if it is just a quirk with mine. This winter I will bleed them and see how they are after. If the lever is still soft, I will more than likely switch to braided SS lines.

-Bill

Originally posted by Big SIssy
    Why didn't you include the GSX-R1000 in that list? Isn't it one of the fastest bikes out there? I definitely like it more than the Busa because of looks and style. The Busa is too big and ugly in my opinion, and sure it is faster, but it is just too much.

The GSX-R1000 suffers from the same problems as all the other liter bikes in that it was designed to be flogged on the track. Being bikes built for the street, The Busa, 12R, and the Blackbird offer reasonably close cornering performance, better straight line performance (for the 12 and busa at least), and much more comfort.

I agree though, the Eyeabuser isn't the most pleasing thing to look at. NHBusa got rid of the dual exhaust and went with a 4-1 yoshimura exhaust (tri-oval I believe) and I have to say that it looks much better with the 4-1 system!

I Dance With Will

Originally posted by ZX-12R
    The brakes work really well but I have one small complaint, the brake lever feels too soft to me. The lever may feel soft but the brakes scrub off speed like its nobody's business, stopping the big 12 quickly and firmly. I haven't been able to push it hard enough yet to experience any fading.

I haven't had the chance to feel the brake lever on other '04s to see if it is just a quirk with mine. This winter I will bleed them and see how they are after. If the lever is still soft, I will more than likely switch to braided SS lines.

-Bill
    i agree about the brake. it must be the same for the zx12 and zx10. the inspector guy at the track was questioning about my brake, saying it may be too warn, till i told him it's only been few months and all stock. i did a stoppie once by accident. that was it.

"fuckit!"

Originally posted by Kham
    i agree about the brake. it must be the same for the zx12 and zx10. the inspector guy at the track was questioning about my brake, saying it may be too warn, till i told him it's only been few months and all stock. i did a stoppie once by accident. that was it.
    The 10R and the the '04 12R use the same forks and brakes so I feel a little better hearing that from you. Have you tried bleeding them? I have a feeling new brake lines will help it quite a bit.

I Dance With Will

no i didn't because i hear the same story from other owners so it's normal. a new brake line will deffinitely makes different.

"fuckit!"

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

much like the sound of animal house...

BU-SA BU-SA BU-SA

Bras cause cancer.

Ok, I'm going to stick up for the Busa side of the house.

Speed:

As posted before the Busa will jump out ahead on the initial roll on and then the 12R will start to reel it in slowly, but where my races have differed from what was posted is that just about the time the bikes are even the Busa starts to edge forward again due to better aerodynamics (the only reason it has a higher top speed than the 12R and still has less HP). Then agan these bikes are so close that whoever gets the better launch/better rider will be on top. 1/4 mile times all depends on what you are more comfortable to launch but agan they are close.

Looks:

Is the Busa ugly? Some people think so, but then again you can't mistaken it. Try taking someone that knows nothing about bikes and showing them the GSXR line up they won't be able to tell the difference. The early 2000's ZX9R and ZX6R are the same way with the ZX12R. I and most of you can tell them apart, but not the average non motorcycle type person. For anyone on here that has a busa will back this up you will be stopped more times than you can imagine when sitting at a light and be asked, "is that a Hayabusa?" So is it ugly? maybe, is it unmistakenable? yes.

Comfort:

I only have a short description on this one. I bought my bike in November of 2003 and as of Sept 30th 2004 I have over 16000 miles on it. If that doesn't say something I don't know what does.

Resale:

The Busa has one of the best resale values out there. I bought mine brand new for 9899 out the door and it's NADA for AVERAGE retail is 8600.

Parts:

Just like the 12R, I'm sure, the Busa has a HUGE aftermarket parts scene. Everything from performance to comfort to looks.

Design:

The body was designed by a computer to make the most aerodynamic bike possible. Kawasaki's computer system came out with almost the same design but the company figured it wouldn't sell. So what I'm getting at is that the bike was made for speed not looks, but that should tell you how much time and effort was put into this bike.

Then engine is low compresion (I can't remember what exactly) but you are recommended to only run 87 octane gas in it. You can slap a Turbo on this bike, map the fuel injection, have over 300RWHP and never touch another thing on it. You now have a 300+RWHP daily driver with stock internals that will easily go 20000 miles with those parts.

Downsides:

I'm sure these are just like the 12R too.

They EAT rear tires like it's cool, insurance rates suck.

Originally posted by busa413

Looks:

The early 2000's ZX9R and ZX6R are the same way with the ZX12R.

Downsides:

I'm sure these are just like the 12R too.

They EAT rear tires like it's cool, insurance rates suck.
    What's funny is a few days ago I pulled up next to a kid on a GSXR750 at a stop light and he looked over told me that I had a nice ZX-6R. I chuckled and started rubbing the tank while saying I've got 2 of them under here! He wasn't too enthusiastic about trying to run me after he was made aware of that small detail!

I definitely agree with your downsides. The 12 does have an appetite for tires and fuel for that matter. Take a 500+lbs bike, give it retarded amounts of horsepower, and then throw a rider on it that likes to go fast and accelerate hard, and you have yourself a $10,000 tire processing plant!

For insurance, I pay right around $700 for the year but that is for just about the best coverage you can buy which covers everything. Living in Taxachusetts, i'm sure you feel the insurance sting on your other vehicles as well!

Yeah I keep mine insured in North Caroline so I don't have to deal with it, but it's still high. The Busa actually is not to bad on gas, I can get mid to hi 30mpg..................unless I am riding like I normally do.

My two cents worth. ......
    The Busa and the ZX12 are pretty much equal in all respects.
    The differences are not worth mentioning. If you are looking for a great " all day street blaster" you can't go wrong with either.
    I chose the Busa for the following reasons.
    1. I am 6'2 and 240 lbs. the Busa seemed more comfortable to me
    2. I have always done buisness with the Suzuki dealer down the street ( good price and ease of location )
    3. Always riden a Suzuki ( mental comfort level )
    4. Liked the HP / Torque
    5. Liked the thought of a bike capable of 200mph
    6. Liked the color scheme of the 2003 model ( black / silver )
    7. Bike has been around for a couple of years and bugs have been worked out.
    8. Great platform for mods and build ups.

My overall riding impression after 2 years........
    Huge amount of power, eats rear wheels, little slower in the TIGHT corners than some other bikes, overall comfort is "outstanding"
    The bike is very smooth and stable at any speed.

Mods done to the bike ...... 4:1 Yosh Tri Oval, Chromed the wheels, double bubble windscreen, remapped computer, airbox mod, par mod., de-restricted top end, and just installed tires( Pirelli Diablio's)

Terry
    2015 Ducati Multistrada 1200S Tour

To all you Kawasaki guys...

I am interested in the ZX-6R, most likely 2003 to be exact. I just read someone's review and he said there are two problems with it. The low end power kind of lacks, and, the suspension makes you aware of every little problem with the road. Which means, he went over a bump and the whole rear end of the bike moved. He says he is looking for a way to fix this. Has anyone had these problems with their 6R? What else have any of you come across as a problem? Just throw in all of your comments about teh ZX-6R. Thanks.

My eyes low,
    Hydro,
    Leakin' out that Tahoe

I would put this in a new thread, otherwise your hijacking this one.

Yeah, I was thinking about that. But since the 12R was being discussed and there were a few guys that posted that know a lot about them, I figured I would ask them. I didn't really want to start a whole new thread, you know?

My eyes low,
    Hydro,
    Leakin' out that Tahoe

I hope I didn't come off being a dick, not my intention. I would through a new thread up there because then you will get the opinions of ZX6 guys, they would most likely know better. Not to mention the 12R is not even remotely close to the ZX6

Re: To all you Kawasaki guys...

Originally posted by Big SIssy
    The low end power kind of lacks, and, the suspension makes you aware of every little problem with the road. Which means, he went over a bump and the whole rear end of the bike moved.
    All small displacement 4 cylinder motorcycles lack low end power. It's the nature of the beast. If you want low end power, the best performance will be from a twin. On the other hand, if you like big top-end numbers, 4 cylinders is the way to go.

In terms of suspension, I have never heard anyone say that a Kawasaki is too firm coming from the factory. Generally, Kawasakis come setup on the soft side. Either way it shouldn't be a concern because all modern sportbikes have ample suspension adjustments so you can dial in the bike just the way you like it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast