Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

keeping bike secure in back of truck ???

I Love giggle drops..!! BluGixxer's Avatar

Re: keeping bike secure in back of truck ???

Quote Originally Posted by jbmass View Post
    But you'd have to mount it in the bed, also the harbor freight system is nice for its price
    I have a BikePro front wheel chock, price from $120 -$150 ish , had it since 2006, use it with gret confidence. Keeps bike straight up and saves space,
    Harbor frieght has one that looks identical, price is $39.99.
    My mounting plate fits flush on the floor of a pickup,
    This thing locks the front wheel solid, for extra piece of mind you could throw a ratchet strap over the front tire , but you shouldn't need it unless your going BAHA offroad, just need a strap on rear wheel ,to keep it from going side to side.
    just ride the front wheel into the chock, your done .don't have to try and balance and make your straps the same length , and worry about the front wheel slipping to one side while only 1 side is tight., or looking for a good spot to connect the strap to your truck, wheel chock takes literly 2 seconds, bike is straight and secure.
    Good heavy straps cost a min $15-$20 apiece. HF front wheel chock $40 minus a 20% coupon. My Wheel chock removes from bed with two 5/8" acorn nuts. If needed to be removed, mout plate stays and is flush with bed floor.
    Straps alone. You will need to strap the back, 2 more GOOD straps another $40. And find more good spots to tie to.
    Front wheel chock you could really use a bungy strap on the back wheel.
    STRAP BURN , highway driving , wind , where the conyon straps come off the bike, it will wear away or scratch paint and mark up your bike, even when you put a twist in the strap to reduce strap flutter, still vibrates through the whole strap
    Straps colapses your suspesion,
    your not doing your suspension any favors.
    when a car is transported on a flatbed , or a wheel lift , you secure the tires or axles and let the car ride on its own suspension.you should do the same with your bike.
    Straps Bend , twist , and bind , throttle grip and linkage when ratcheting down the front end, and also when bouncing in travel , imagine finding out the hard way , that you dammaged your throttle, and it sticks wide open. That would suck
    Front wheel chocks cost less overall, more secure side to side, don't need 2 people for tiedowns, Literally seconds to lockdown, much easier on suspension, no possible way to damage throttle handle.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Beat It Like A Rented Mule !!
    Legend in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by smkn-1 View Post
    normaly would, installing a bosch on demand hot water heater at mothers beach house for her, then staying for the week, house to myself, need tools and water heater cheaper up here-need truck
    Beach house....hmmmm....I got lots of Ancra tiedowns and a 40'' wide ramp.

Seems like Most like the front wheel chock but how do you install one if the bed came wih the dura liner. And has grooves on the bottom? I am afraid of damaging the liner. Thoughts?

This chock will hold strong & is your cheapest solid method
    http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97145.html

This is a cheap way to make a 2x6 or2x8 into a ramp CHEAP
    http://www.google.com/products/catal...w=999&bih=450#

These are decent tie downs or you could go heavier
    http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...set-93109.html

2 types of anchors
    http://www.harborfreight.com/2-piece...nts-95182.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/4-piece...ngs-97767.html

I guess after so many years of racing and traveling with bikes its kind of 2nd nature but these things are your basics that will hold a bike ROCK SOLID in a truck. A pair of soft ties makes it a bit easier.
    Amazon.com: CargoLoc 52373 18-Inch Soft Ties, 2-Piece: Home Improvement

or, you could just strap it down correctly. I've taken mine to Florida and back with just 2 straps and its never moved. Just check it when you stop for gas or whatever.

You Sir know nothing of true greatness. I of course refer to ones ability to steal, drink and generally do nothing, and carry it off with style

Quote Originally Posted by Rambunctous View Post
    Beach house....hmmmm....I got lots of Ancra tiedowns and a 40'' wide ramp.
    what---beach ,pool, hottub,trent jones pga course,4 beds 4 baths

when---last week august

where---wrightsville beach nc

going to be around there then let me know

I purchased this chock from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html

I then slightly modified it to fit flush in the bed of my truck... I moved two of the mount points that secure the top to the base so that the base would fall into the grooves and sit flush. I then painted it with the truck bed liner in a can... To make it a little stronger I used light angle iron underneath where the base mounts to the bed... larger footprint... like really big washers

When I'm not using it all I do is remove the four 6mm allen bolts and remove the top... the base stays in the truck and is out of the way... This takes about 3 minutes and has worked awesome so far...

Chock in action...

Quote Originally Posted by virtualbong View Post
    Seems like Most like the front wheel chock but how do you install one if the bed came wih the dura liner. And has grooves on the bottom? I am afraid of damaging the liner. Thoughts?
    put the chock up against the front of the bed, done. once you strap the bike down its not moving.
    Quote Originally Posted by VinceF2 View Post
    I purchased this chock from Harbor Freight:

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-96349.html

I then slightly modified it to fit flush in the bed of my truck... I moved two of the mount points that secure the top to the base so that the base would fall into the grooves and sit flush. I then painted it with the truck bed liner in a can... To make it a little stronger I used light angle iron underneath where the base mounts to the bed... larger footprint... like really big washers

When I'm not using it all I do is remove the four 6mm allen bolts and remove the top... the base stays in the truck and is out of the way... This takes about 3 minutes and has worked awesome so far...

Chock in action...
    I use those same straps, except I use them correctly. I put the strap over the lower triple and then put the hook through the loop above the buckle. that's what that loop is for. makes it so you don't have to find a place for the hooks which typically end up at weird angles when you hook them directly onto a bike part.

Hey vince does that chock support the bike on its own? Meaning can you roll it in & it will hold it upright long enuff for you to connect tie downs? I have a pop chock that doesn't & would like one to mount to a floor and be able to hold the bike upright.

Quote Originally Posted by smokinjoe View Post
    Hey vince does that chock support the bike on its own? Meaning can you roll it in & it will hold it upright long enuff for you to connect tie downs? I have a pop chock that doesn't & would like one to mount to a floor and be able to hold the bike upright.

Yup it does... I roll it in and leave it while tying it down... no issues... Works great for the money... on sale right now and if you have a 20% off coupon makes it even better!

Quote Originally Posted by CBR929RE View Post
    I use those same straps, except I use them correctly. I put the strap over the lower triple and then put the hook through the loop above the buckle. that's what that loop is for. makes it so you don't have to find a place for the hooks which typically end up at weird angles when you hook them directly onto a bike part.
    I do normally use the loops... that is why I bought them... I didn't tie it down this trip and didn't feel it necessary to undo them...

The point of having a chock is so the wheel can't work it's way to the side. If the chock is not bolted down (just up against the head board), I fail to see how it will be any better than no chock at all. Especially when the chock is metal and will probably be more prone to sliding than without it.

i agree with Manny. I wouldn't get the pitbull restraints for a pickup bed. i would recommend the Condor front stand for your truck bed & use straps. it's worked perfectly in my open trailer.

EX 105
    Sponsors: Motul, Michelin, K&N, Woodcraft

Quote Originally Posted by rbrais View Post
    The point of having a chock is so the wheel can't work it's way to the side. If the chock is not bolted down (just up against the head board), I fail to see how it will be any better than no chock at all. Especially when the chock is metal and will probably be more prone to sliding than without it.
    the bike will shift forward if the front wheel rotates against the head of the pickup bed. when it does, the lateral strap tension will be reduced and the bike can fall to the side. the chock prevents the front wheel from rotating in place against the head of the pickup bed, and the straps prevent the bike and chock from sliding left/right.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Quote Originally Posted by Manny View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_6 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8E200 Safari/6533.18.5)

For a truck use a condor and tie downs. Ancra ratchet straps.
    +1 for Condor - I've tried other systems and it is the best IMHO. Plus you can use it as a freestanding bike stand!

I bought my father-in-law the Harbor Freight version of the condor

http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcy...ock-97841.html

It too has worked well and I think would work for your application... he uses it in an enclosed trailer without issues...

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

i had a box bar in my truck. it had 3 "chocks" and tie down spots built in.
    i was flipping through a parts catalog and there are a couple companies that make them now. mine was like $100. i use it on my trailer now.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

I've had my bike in the back of my truck for long rides, I just use a Canyon Dancer, and make sure its tight to the headboard. I also had an older Triumph back there from SC to RI with just tie downs, just make sure its tight and can't move or bounce around. No need for special chocks. Oh and drive easy!!!

2002 Honda RC51
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax/Allison

I've always used tie-down straps only and never had the bike tip over. Granted you can't drive like you're in the Indy 500, but who does that in a truck anyways?

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post
    the bike will shift forward if the front wheel rotates against the head of the pickup bed. when it does, the lateral strap tension will be reduced and the bike can fall to the side. the chock prevents the front wheel from rotating in place against the head of the pickup bed, and the straps prevent the bike and chock from sliding left/right.

I understand. Someone suggested tossing the chock in without bolting it down. Didn't see how that would help in any way.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...s-Box-Bar.aspx
    it will also keep you from bowing/folding the headboard of the truck bed

Last edited by SVRACER01; 05-24-11 at 03:33 PM.
    When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by rbrais View Post
    I understand. Someone suggested tossing the chock in without bolting it down. Didn't see how that would help in any way.
    yep, i was trying to explain to how the unbolted chock would still work. i'll try again...a picture makes it easier.

even though it's not bolted down, the bars extending out from the left and right of the wheel (toward left and bottom of photo) keep the entire chock & wheel assembly from rotating in place against the bed wall/floor. with this configuration the pivot point (both horizontal and vertical) is all the way out to the side at the black bar ends, which means the front of the bike would have to first rise up off the pickup bed before it could fall to the side, or it would have to slide toward the rear before the wheel could turn. in their typical position (forward, out and down to tie points) the straps prevent either of those motions (upward or rearward) from occurring.

- Jamie
    2009 K 1300 S

Dr Q : Last resort Medic Qfactor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I've always used tie-down straps only and never had the bike tip over. Granted you can't drive like you're in the Indy 500, but who does that in a truck anyways?
    hummm........

2 straps on the front, 1 on the back wheel w/ a grippy bedliner will pretty much allow you to drive as hard as the truck will keep up with.

Pitbull + straps to keep front down will allow you to do the above + catch air as needed.

Q - there's a reason, I don't own the truck anymore.

"Ami blaireau, comme t'es nul au cronos..."

"If your mom's got a schlong, run away, she's not your mom...."

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I drive my truck like that, but it makes 494hp and 956 ftlbs!!!

2002 Honda RC51
    2001 Chevrolet 2500HD Duramax/Allison

Quote Originally Posted by drop View Post
    yep, i was trying to explain to how the unbolted chock would still work. i'll try again...a picture makes it easier.

even though it's not bolted down, the bars extending out from the left and right of the wheel (toward left and bottom of photo) keep the entire chock & wheel assembly from rotating in place against the bed wall/floor. with this configuration the pivot point (both horizontal and vertical) is all the way out to the side at the black bar ends, which means the front of the bike would have to first rise up off the pickup bed before it could fall to the side, or it would have to slide toward the rear before the wheel could turn. in their typical position (forward, out and down to tie points) the straps prevent either of those motions (upward or rearward) from occurring.
    Ok. Now it makes sense. Different kind of chock.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast