Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Kill switch weirdness

Lifer

Kill switch weirdness

So I had a strange conversation with my roommate.

A couple weeks ago I took his Triumph for a spin. I pulled into into the garage and he saw me flip the kill switch to turn it off, standard procedure, kill switch off, ignition switch off.

He goes off on a rant about not using the kill switch and how it damages the computers in Triumphs. I said it sounded ridiculous and noted that people who don't use the kill switch on a regular basis aren't going to be quick enough to use it in an emergency. (Per MSF and just about everyone else)

So he proceeds to show me the manual for his Speed Triple where it actually says not to use the kill switch. It looks like a documentation error. But there is still something going on. Basically it sounds like what they mean is don't use the kill switch to turn the bike off and then walk away leaving the ignition on, killing the battery and in the process perhaps messing some stuff up.

However, and this is even more weird, is the Triumph kill switch appears different then every other bike I've ever ridden (Honda, Suzuki, Yamaha, Kawasaki, H-D).

On all the other bikes I've ridden the kill switch disables the engine but everything else stays on until you turn the ignition off. If you turn the ignition off with the engine running everything instantly stops. I have (for example) looked at the Honda electrical diagram to confirm this. (And ran into it when wiring up some stuff on my bike)

On his triumph the kill switch instantaneously turns the whole bike off. The ignition however will shut the engine off and then leave the rest of the bike powered up for a brief period before shutting down. (This would kind of support the idea that it's computer needs to shutdown)

Anyone ever look at the electrical diagrams for a triumph (e.x. service manual) or know more about this? It almost sounds like it's more like a doc error that got misread by a bunch of riders and turned into common knowleged. A kill switch which can't be used all the time seems like a bad design.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Kill switch weirdness

that is weird...sounds like bad design to me if that stuff is true...i told my brother to stop using his kill switch cuz it is starting to break..lol

Quote Originally Posted by ThisBitch View Post
    From my experience, its the natural red heads (aka gingers) that have no soul--- I mean are crazy.

Lifer

Kill switch weirdness

Haha.. yah that is the one thing I've heard of before, flipping switches does slowly wear them out.

But people seem to run into the kickstand switch problem 1000x more then a kill switch failing.

Kill switch weirdness

I always use the key to shut her off. To me the switch is an extra step you dont need.

Bruce

Kill switch weirdness

Originally posted by mycirus
    I always use the key to shut her off. To me the switch is an extra step you dont need.

Bruce
    Thats just because you are lazy...

Re: Kill switch weirdness

Originally posted by benVFR

I said it sounded ridiculous and noted that people who don't use the kill switch on a regular basis aren't going to be quick enough to use it in an emergency. (Per MSF and just about everyone else)

Thats a really good point.. If its not second nature, your not gonna be quick enough to think of it in an emergency.

Kill switch weirdness

Originally posted by benVFR
    Haha.. yah that is the one thing I've heard of before, flipping switches does slowly wear them out.

But people seem to run into the kickstand switch problem 1000x more then a kill switch failing.
    of course, the kickstand is use more than the kill switch, even riders like me who never use kill switch, use the kickstand everytime we park the bike

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Kill switch weirdness

Well the kickstand switch also gets attacked by road spray and chain goop, the kill switch is relatively protected and better located.

Kill switch weirdness

Kill switch, side stand?? What are those .... oh yeah I used to have those...

Seriously he should call a dealer and see what they say. Give Great Bay a call 603-964-4450.

M900ie
    SS750
    69 gas gusslin' Chevy
    LRRS EX #418