Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Kinda stupid question...

Littering and........

Kinda stupid question...

About 25 years ago, my Dad was in a serious bike accident resulting from a lady pulling out in front of him while he was riding his bike. He was SEVERELY fucked up - he still has a piece of his hip bone in his hand, with his fingers sort of wired on there.

In any case, he says it was because when the car pulled out in front of him, he fixated on the car and rode right into it. I think my first instinct would have been to swerve around, even if I dropped the bike while trying to do so.

So here's my stupid question: If some idiot does pull out in front of you, is it better to drop the bike? Is there some sort of way to brace for an impact like that? If you know you're going down, is there anything you can do to try and lessen your injuries?

Stupid question, I know, but me and the old man were discussing it earlier, and it made me curious what the "right" thing to do would have been.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Kinda stupid question...

I was expecting a topid question

I was once told, if you have time to "lay it down" then you have time to stop.

no, don't crash on purpose, swerve or brake

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Kinda stupid question...

I would say swerve.
    Your father is talking about target fixation. I know I am prone to that. I have make myself look where I want to go.

My Name is Chrissy
    This is Jello

Have you hugged a corner today?

Kinda stupid question...

As a motorcycle courier in dublin where you basically were target practise for myopic dopes in cars we had a lot of near misses and hits.
    Only once did I go into the side of a car as I had no-where to go on either the left or the right side of the car as it was a lot of trafffic so just before impact I jumped up off the pegs as hard as I could so I would clear the top of the car and not go slamming into the side of it or catch myself on the handlebars of the bike.
    I did manage to just about clear the car but caught my leg on the way up and over and sort of flopped about on the roof of the car and then onto the ground.
    I broke a couple of ribs but other wise was unhurt and my bike (a 79 cx500 honda ) survived relatively unscathed , busted front end but that was about it.

eat me

Kinda stupid question...

I've always wondered if that would work.

Try and be up to par on you braking skills but most of the time its better to accelerate around it rather than slide into it.

"You never see a motorcycle parked outside of a psychiatrists office"

Kinda stupid question...

I say jump the car like Evil Canivel .

Seriously, like Randy said if you have time to think and dump purposely, you have time to react by stopping or swearving, if there is no time for anything then your tenderized meat. Hope for the best & always be prepaired.. Wear your gear!

Sorry to hear that happened to your dad. That sucks.. Did he ever try to convince you to never ride, or was he the one that got you into the sport??

Oh yeah & that is most certainly not a stupid question...

Rides: 13 Hyperstada, 09 SFV650, 97 CBR 900RR
    www.tailofthedragon.com
    RIP A.B. RIP BEET, I Ride in Leathers because I would rather sweat than Bleed...

Evel Knievel SPELLING>>>>>>>>>>>>>

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1561277932/ref%3Dpd%5Fsl%5Faw%5Falx-jeb-8-1%5Fvideo%5F3463176%5F1/104-6949622-6482325
    -Suf Daddy

Originally posted by Half Squid
    I say jump the car like Evil Canivel .

Seriously, like Randy said if you have time to think and dump purposely, you have time to react by stopping or swearving, if there is no time for anything then your tenderized meat. Hope for the best & always be prepaired.. Wear your gear!

Sorry to hear that happened to your dad. That sucks.. Did he ever try to convince you to never ride, or was he the one that got you into the sport??

Suf Daddy.

Re: Kinda stupid question...

Was this before you were born?

The Police say that drunk people fixate on objects or lights.
    Which is one of the reasons cars in the breakdown lane are PRIME targets for DWI rear enders..........

-Suf Daddy
    BTW: Kristy's HOT in a bikini.
    and your mom is fun to do shots with.

Originally posted by highsider
    About 25 years ago, my Dad was in a serious bike accident resulting from a lady pulling out in front of him while he was riding his bike. He was SEVERELY fucked up - he still has a piece of his hip bone in his hand, with his fingers sort of wired on there.

In any case, he says it was because when the car pulled out in front of him, he fixated on the car and rode right into it. I think my first instinct would have been to swerve around, even if I dropped the bike while trying to do so.

Suf Daddy.

I kick hippies...and Kham Nikon's Avatar

Kinda stupid question...

Originally posted by zombie
    As a motorcycle courier in dublin where you basically were target practise for myopic dopes in cars we had a lot of near misses and hits.
    Only once did I go into the side of a car as I had no-where to go on either the left or the right side of the car as it was a lot of trafffic so just before impact I jumped up off the pegs as hard as I could so I would clear the top of the car and not go slamming into the side of it or catch myself on the handlebars of the bike.
    I did manage to just about clear the car but caught my leg on the way up and over and sort of flopped about on the roof of the car and then onto the ground.
    I broke a couple of ribs but other wise was unhurt and my bike (a 79 cx500 honda ) survived relatively unscathed , busted front end but that was about it.
    MIck...How many times have I told you I love your stories????? How bout one more time - MIck - I love you r stories

Bras cause cancer.

Littering and........

Kinda stupid question...

Originally posted by Half Squid

No, my Dad is the most awful Squid on the planet to ride with. He finds amusement in doing wheelies whilst flipping off Harley riders. Also, he claims to be an expert at doing wheelies past Harley riders with his front tire about a foot from their head. I have not seen this personally, but I do believe it.

This is why he doesn't ride anymore - he's too encourageable.

Re: Kinda stupid question...

Originally posted by highsider

So here's my stupid question: If some idiot does pull out in front of you, is it better to drop the bike? Is there some sort of way to brace for an impact like that? If you know you're going down, is there anything you can do to try and lessen your injuries?

Do this. Find something with rubber feet (stereo, toy car, etc...) Now slide it on the desk or table or floor on side without rubber and see how far it moves and how easy it slides. Now try the same thing with rubber side down. Its slides a lot less, right. So whats my point? Hit your brakes, keep the bike upright and scrub off as much speed as you can. The rubber will slow you down a lot more than the laying on its side.

Bruce

Kinda stupid question...

I would say look where the car WAS.. my guess is that there would be a buick sized hole where the car came from.. aim for that.. look where you want / need to go and keep pushing on the bar until you get there.

Unless you are on a Vmax most bikes will turn quicker than you think.

Scott Major
    Ferrari Fix it Club Racing
    ALMS, SCCA, LRRS, CCS, FUSA #'s 161, 62, 676, 661, 205, 12, 60, 89...

Karloff? Sidekick? FUCK YOU!! That cocksucker does not deserve to smell my shit!

Kinda stupid question...

T tried that superman get off technique in his accident. But his was unintentional. it didn't work out so well for him, but he survived. i think he said he cleared the car and about 20 yards before he made it back to the ground....

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

Kinda stupid question...

Yes grasshopper aim for just behind the rear bumper

Brake, brake then lean lean

The purpose to laying it down is 2 fold

1 the bike tires hit the object not so swift on the down leg with folding pegs and no slider but you hit your bike seat.

2 The bike is in front of you and won't run into you after impact

Also much harder to vault over SUV's, pickups, and minivans. If it a Miata try it

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Someone shit on the coats PatSV650's Avatar

Kinda stupid question...

I agree with the idea of shedding as much speed as possible, then maneuver. Of course, each situation is different.
    I once used the "aim for where he WAS" method on a deer that ran out in front of me in the car... Worked well!

If it's a Miata, shouldn't you just do a wheelie onto it and ride the rest of the way over?!? It's little more than a speed bump, as long as it's not the convertable with the top down, right?!

ibanezfourstring from that other
    site
    my blog

'79 CB750 K (crash victim)
    '82 CB750 F Supersport (project: done! )
    "What is it about driving cars that makes you all such assh*les?!"

"I could have said "YOU'RE ABOUT TO BE STRUCK BY A VEHICLE!! " but instead, it came out more like a concerned moan " Dane Cook

Real life Action Jackson crash

I work with a guy who has ridden for many years. About 5 years ago he was leaving work for a weekend ride with some buddies. He was in driving towards Kendall Sq in Cambridge, and an elderly man pulled across traffic to make a turn (left?) leaving my friend to T-bone the car.

I believe that he was on either a Harley or a BMW at the time, and he ended up hitting the car 90 degrees to the door, and flipped over the car, and landed on his feet, facing the car about 15' from it.

So basically he did a 180 in the air and landed on his feet. A pedestrian came up and asked them about which movie they were filming. His friend was like...this isn't any kind of movie!

My friend was in shock and a bit banged up. I think it was one of those deals where you look like John Wayne and after its done you collapse.

Needless to say it ruined his weekend road trip. I think he jumped the pegs (more plausable on the BMW I'd guess) to clear the car (sedan). I will ask him about this tomorrow, I am curious how it happened.

Its accidents like that (and the orig. post) that really make me wonder why I ride from time to time.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Lifer

Kinda stupid question...

I wouldn't think you'd want to go over anything. The impact force is going to be a factor of acceleration over distance. The higher and faurther you go the harder you're going to hit whatever stops you. If you have time to consider what to do then you have time to stop or manuver around. Laying the bike down is going to make it slide further and faster than braking. And if you're sliding I can bet going under a car can tear you up and squish you pretty good.

It's all water under the bridge, and we do enter the next round-robin. Am I wrong?

Kinda stupid question...

I'm with Randy...

BTW-Practicing 'panic' stops is wunna the best (and easiest) things to practice for street riders...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Kinda stupid question...

BRAKE, Get off the brakes, then SWERVE. It's important that you get off the brakes before swerving, because there isn't enough traction to do both at the same time.

That said, the best thing to do is to not allow the situation to happen in the first place. I know that drivers will do stupid things and sometimes it's impossible to react quickly enough. But too many riders don't reflect on how THEY screwed up before the crash. How fast were you going, what lane position were you in to be seen, etc.

Don't let it happen to you!