Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

KLR 4 / RC51 0

KLR 4 / RC51 0

So I just got back from another ride on the KLR. I am having fun, put almost 400 miles on it already. Im glad I have this one cause the roads are in poor shape and have no desire to take the RC until they are cleaner. Lots of sand and holy pot holes. And I cant say enough about the warmness of the Phantom Olympia suit I have. Love it. In Douglas on Rt 16 a cop flashed the lights at me. I was pacing the 2 cars in front of me and I was going a whopping 52 in a 45. You can tell he is ready for bikes.....Gotta love it. At least he didnt come and follow me.

Bruce

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: KLR 4 / RC51 0

I just did my first ride of the season today on the SV, it was wonderful. My Fieldsheer Adventure jacket was warm and toasty as the temperatures hung in the low 30s (maybe lower when I was at the coast). It feels so good to be back on two wheels!

After hitting a few of the wonderful potholes I was starting to think about getting that KLR again Keep posting about yours!

Must have been 1st ride day today!! I took my R1 out of the basement after work today and took her for a spin

Yamaha

I wasnt going to ride today but on my way home from work I saw 3 bikes. I think it was a sign.

Bruce

Soon...very soon...

Today after sitting in the garage all winter and not being run since Nov I started the RC. Cranked right over not missing a beat. Its the original battery and I dont put it on a tender. Gotta love Honda's. The sound of the RC made me grin ear to ear. I think she will be taken out soon.

Bruce

Bruce, how's that upgraded KLR compare to the vintage model?

I managed a nice ride on the 990Adventure today. That cool, dense air caused some serious handling issues though. It was like I had no steering control at all in the first couple of gears.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

The new KLR is awesome. I am really happy with it. The braking is better, and the wind protection is a lot better. It handles about the same I think and the fun factor is high. I am really digging it. I have not confirmed if its an oil burner or not. I am trying to rack up the miles and see how bad it is. I havent taken it off road yet. I need to get an aluminum skidplate as the plastic one doesnt seem like it will do too much. I havent noticed any cold weather handling issues with the new one. I had the front slide on some sand once but nothing close to wrecking. It also needs a new seat as the stocker sucks.

Bruce

Cool. I don't get what that hullabaloo about the oil consumption is. I think a few too many namby-pamby AdvRiders jumped on them and have been doing too much dawdling, not allowing the internals to mate properly.

BTW, if you're still running the OE oil fill, it *may* be 20W-50. That's what filled the prior KLRs. Might want to swap it with some 10W-40, just in case.

A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself. - John Stuart Mill

Quote Originally Posted by ChR1s View Post
    Cool. I don't get what that hullabaloo about the oil consumption is. I think a few too many namby-pamby AdvRiders jumped on them and have been doing too much dawdling, not allowing the internals to mate properly.

BTW, if you're still running the OE oil fill, it *may* be 20W-50. That's what filled the prior KLRs. Might want to swap it with some 10W-40, just in case.
    The previous owner had the 600 mile service reciept. I have 920 on it now and plan to do a change before 1500. I have some Kawi 10-40 that I bought for my next change. Also people on the KLR forums say they burn more oil when ran at highway speeds for longer times. I have kept it above 5000 for than a few mins and have only done maybe 20 highway miles. I will just play it by year and keep an eye on it. They say the 685 kit fixes oil issues so I will concider that if it gets bad.

Bruce

Don't forget to check your rear shock and see if it adjusts ok. A bunch of guys have had the adjuster break, first time out, using very little force. Also, keep your eyes peeled for rubber rot too. 08 KLR owners are discovering that rubber is cracking/crumbling waaaaay too prematurely. That seems to be another 08 issue, with guys from varying climates too. Finally, make sure your rear swingarm pivot is greased, Kawi doesn't seem to apply enough back there.

In case you can't tell, I've been trying to find every issue with the 08, because I really want one

Quote Originally Posted by schleppy View Post
    Don't forget to check your rear shock and see if it adjusts ok. A bunch of guys have had the adjuster break, first time out, using very little force. Also, keep your eyes peeled for rubber rot too. 08 KLR owners are discovering that rubber is cracking/crumbling waaaaay too prematurely. That seems to be another 08 issue, with guys from varying climates too. Finally, make sure your rear swingarm pivot is greased, Kawi doesn't seem to apply enough back there.

In case you can't tell, I've been trying to find every issue with the 08, because I really want one
    Yeah I have been reading those. Already found out about the rubber with my windshield grommets. I bought some already to replace them. The bike is fun to ride. You should get one.

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by mycirus View Post
    Yeah I have been reading those. Already found out about the rubber with my windshield grommets. I bought some already to replace them. The bike is fun to ride. You should get one.

Bruce
    I'm waiting for a test ride. I have one arranged now, just waiting for it to pan out. Having never ridden a dual sport I really want to give it a shot before I pull the trigger.