Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KLR650 - Talk me into or out of...

Lifer

KLR650 - Talk me into or out of...

Don't know why except my Canada trip was altered because I didn't fancy the F6B wing on the 60+ mile stretches of unpacev roads ended to get to Hudson Bay.

Plus, there are a lot of shorter unsaved roads in the area I'd like to explore. There are also some secret trails right near my house that I could putt around on.

As a commuter into Boston, it might be fun.

Love the F6B and would not swap, this would be a second bike.

So.... Why should I or shouldn't I?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: KLR650 - Talk me into or out of...

Do it!

I just bought a DR650 for similar reasons and I'm having a blast with it. It seems like a whole new world is opening up right in your back yard.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

My '09 KLR is my "second" bike, but it's so versatile, I ride it quite a lot, especially extending riding season on both ends. It's pretty big and heavy to be a true trail bike, fine for decent non-pavement roads, unless you are an expert dirt rider, that is, some KLR riders seem to be able to tackle most anything. The 6-gallon tank was a big deciding factor for me, now I'm used to the 300+ mile range. They sit pretty high like most good dual sports. With 30" inseam, I have 1" lowering links, and I shortened the side stand. "Progressive" brand fork springs and drop-in valves (RICOR Intiminators) worked wonders for the handling. Read up on forums like http://www.klr650.net/forums/ and http://advrider.com/.

And don't believe everything you think.

i rode a KLR 650 cross country friggan great bike, thing was awesome!

Very comfy, peppy, and fun to whip around.

Check out Depot Kawasaki Honda up in Rye NH, they have a used one there for pretty cheap and low miles.

oh but sitting on the highway sucked..i wasnt a fan..id rather my goldwing for that. not a bike you would buy to sit on the highway and sit at 65 for 30 minutes

Last edited by importcustomx; 08-25-14 at 08:59 PM.
    1985 Honda Goldwing Aspencade ::::Current:::::
    1984 Honda Interceptor VF500F ::: Project::::
    2012 Honda CBR600RR :::::Current::::
    2004 Honda CBR600f4i :::Sold:::
    2005 Honda CBR600f4i :::Sold:::

ktm 690!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

If your telling me your starting long distanse mixed surface road rides then I say

650 V Strom

Fine on dirt roads and eats miles like a touring machine and real world twisties better than most sport bikes

The calculus of hate

It is not that I should win it is that you should lose
    It is not that I succeed it is that you fail
    It is not that I should live it is that you should die

I test road a KLR and was utterly UNimpressed. I was thoroughly disappointed too, as I went into it thinking it was really the bike for me. Just had no soul, no heart. It was kind of like, ehhhh. Although in it's defense, it was NOT the new generation...

Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

Commuting? BTDT. I had a 2006 KLR with a larger front brake and SS brake line.

Pros: kind of fun to ride a Preying Mantis in Boston traffic. Decent mpg and range. People can knock it over in a parking space and nothing breaks.

Cons: Little acceleration above 50 mph. Trucks blow you around on the highway. Brakes don't cut it on the mean streets. Everything on the bike is cheap: I replaced most of the fasteners. Anemic lighting.

Replaced with a V-Strom that worked a lot better for me.

The WR250R does everything better than the KLR650, with the single exception of fuel range.

Last edited by Garandman; 08-26-14 at 06:34 AM.

The klr is kind of a giant sled. It can be had uber cheap, and modded to function pretty well for peanuts too.
    I think the xrl is a better all-arounder at the expense of height, and fuel range, but the latter is a supertank away from curing.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

The other modifications I made to my KLR are SS brake lines and Dyna Jet Stage 1 carb kit, both well worth it, nice firm feel to the brakes, and the Stage 1 kit fattens up the low end and mid range, but still delivers 50+ mpg. I run Shinko 705 tires, great on the street, and fine for the TMT. Rotella T6 for oil, improved the shifting noticeably.

And don't believe everything you think.

Why the KLR specifically? Do you just want a dual sport or did the Kawi interest you for some reason?

The way it was explained to me was KLR is better on the highway, the XR650 is better on the dirty side and the DR650 is a compromise for both. After riding the XR and the DR I'd agree the XR has a better suspension, but I'm way to short for one

DR's and KLR'S are cheaper in general and easy to customize as you see fit.

Last edited by e30addict; 08-26-14 at 07:37 AM.
    2012 Tiger 800 XC

Lifer

I hop on a DR650 many more days than on my VFR for my short commute to work. The big singles are great for the city and dirt roads. They are not great on the highway. With a screen they are OK, but not great. I like the fact that I can't get in trouble accelerating or braking too fast - it is almost a safety measure in the winter. :-) It is much lighter and is smaller than the KLR if you are not very tall, but needs a little more mods to make it more comfortable. I have a sargent low seat (I'm 5'8" on a good day). For longer mostly highway trips where you may encounter dirt roads I agree that a DL650 or a G650GS would be better than the KLR/DR.

Last edited by dankatz; 08-26-14 at 07:36 AM.
    '15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

I loved my KLR for exactly what you described. Vstrom 650 (my current ride that replaced the KLR) isn't as much fun to toss around, but is far superior in all circumstances except rough dirt. For gravel roads, it feels a bit more stable than the KLR.

You are welcome to come flog my well setup Vstrom if you'd like. They can be had nearly as cheap as a KLR.

FWIW, I'd go pre-'08 KLR. Cheaper, basically the same, less plastic sticking out. Mods are cheap, I'd go Stage 1 jet kit first. It made the most difference.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I hop on a DR650 many more days than on my VFR for my short commute to work. The big singles are great for the city and dirt roads. They are not great on the highway. With a screen they are OK, but not great. I like the fact that I can't get in trouble accelerating or braking too fast - it is almost a safety measure in the winter. :-) It is much lighter and is smaller than the KLR if you are not very tall, but needs a little more mods to make it more comfortable. I have a sargent low seat (I'm 5'8" on a good day). For longer mostly highway trips where you may encounter dirt roads I agree that a DL650 or a G650GS would be better than the KLR/DR.
    Come on: you know you want the fat girl.

Lifer

With a F6B in the stable, I would not think the DL650 would be the next add. Too much overlap as a tourer.

I believe that most of these newer "adventure" touring bikes are glorified sport tourers. The KLR/DR/XR650's are more of the real deal in that respect.

That said, I adore my DL650. It is fun to romp on well graded dirt roads and is competent enough to pick through Sandwich Notch or the like. Anything more drastic than that and it is just too heavy and too brittle.

Here's a good article comparing the DR650 and the KLR650 http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/11/143...Challenge.aspx
    FWIW, I love my DR350 for around-town riding and as my winter beater. It was also a lot of fun at the no-sportbike track day too
    http://photos.otmpix.com/p452506739/he9eab88#he9eab88

Lifer

Did I see in the photos you took a digger?

Best thing about my DRZ; you can smash it, bash it, and try to kill it and it just kinda yawns at you.

I crashed mine in the rain at a NHMS TTD. Rode it directly to the garage to be re-tech'ed. Can't remember who checked me out. But his comment was priceless. "I honestly can't tell this thing has been down. You are good to go." I think I had the OK to get back on track before all of the riders from that session had made it off track under the red flag.

Haha yup, in Turn 4. http://photos.otmpix.com/p452506739/h2126f227#h2126f227
    I rode it back to the garage, picked out some gravel, smacked the handguard back into place, and rode it the rest of the day.

Lifer

Back on the KLR kick.

Wtf you waiting for?

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

Just do it.

LOL there should be an "enabler" icon

Post up in the flea market section of ADVrider.com "WTB klr650 or similar bike near MA" and you're bound to find a few well-accessorized choices.

If you want to go cheap and farkle one out for under $5k including the bike, go first gen. Shoot for a $2k one and then add in Intiminators, jet kit, braided front line, decent tires, good rear shock, panniers and armor. You'll still be a grand under budget.

2nd gen ones have a bit nicer front suspension but really aren't that much different. Still can be had pretty cheap.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

I hated my KLR. It had no soul. Just a boring, heavy, slow, ill handling bike. But yeah. Get it! Doohickey! Yeah!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast