Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

KLR650 - Talk me into or out of...

Re: KLR650 - Talk me into or out of...

I picked the DR650 over the KLR because it was lighter, seemed smaller, and has a better mill. The DR lacks the wind protection of the KLR, yes and the range of the KLR, yes. Two things that can be fixed with a windscreen and $220 extended range 5 gallon tank.

They're probably dead even on reliability but the DR is more simplistic with oil cooling. One less thing to go wrong when you're out in the bush.

Fun factor has to go to the DR. You can even make them into a motard of sorts. More of motractor. Because at the end of the day it's a tractor but a fun tractor.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

as 2nd bike - definitely do it

wheelie machines! probably one of the easiest for me...and I suck @ 'em!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Don't run with the pack. whynot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by LXnastynotch93 View Post
    I picked the DR650 over the KLR because it was lighter, seemed smaller, and has a better mill. The DR lacks the wind protection of the KLR, yes and the range of the KLR, yes. Two things that can be fixed with a windscreen and $220 extended range 5 gallon tank.

They're probably dead even on reliability but the DR is more simplistic with oil cooling. One less thing to go wrong when you're out in the bush.

Fun factor has to go to the DR. You can even make them into a motard of sorts. More of motractor. Because at the end of the day it's a tractor but a fun tractor.
    That sounds good, a good argument for DR over KLR. KLR wet weight is listed at 432#. I always felt like the KLR was too heavy, and believe me, it is a *bear* to pick up by yourself. The power was adequate, and when I had to travel Route 2, I kept it under 70mph. (One KLR owner I know runs his at 80-90mph heading up to Maine.) Anyway I sold it after 4 years, in fact, just sold it here in February. You snooze, you lose!
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...light=Kawasaki

I think if I were looking now, I'd look for a used Gen 1 KLR as suggested, or maybe a DR400 or DR650. I'd read more reviews and sit on more bikes, and visit lots of forums and read up. For the KLR650, I used Kawasaki KLR 650 Forum, found good advice there. ADVrider, thumpertalk ... information overload.

Last edited by whynot; 03-24-15 at 11:06 AM.
    And don't believe everything you think.

Quote Originally Posted by whynot View Post
    That sounds good, a good argument for DR over KLR. KLR wet weight is listed at 432#. I always felt like the KLR was too heavy, and believe me, it is a *bear* to pick up by yourself. The power was adequate, and when I had to travel Route 2, I kept it under 70mph. Anyway I sold it after 4 years, in fact, just sold it here in February. You snooze, you lose!
    http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...light=Kawasaki

I think if I were looking now, I'd look for a used Gen 1 KLR as suggested, or maybe a DR400 or DR650. I'd read more reviews and sit on more bikes.
    That's a really good deal for that bike. I would have to say that the KLR probably makes a better long distance tourer, just because of the extra weight, which probably makes it more stable at highway speed, and the extra wind protection. Again that can be addressed on the DR. I do much prefer the look of the Gen 1 KLR to the Gen 2 simply because I like the smaller headlight.

Another key point to make about the KLR vs DR argument is braking performance. The Gen 1 KLR is a 260mm rotor where I believe the Gen 2 is a 280mm rotor. The DR650 has a 290mm rotor for comparison. However, I would like to point out that the KLR is carrying about 75lbs more weight than the DR, so braking performance suffers.

Now we can talk about problems that need to be addressed from the factory.

KLR: Doohickey failure (only one I can think of)
    DR650: paper base gasket leaks (sometimes even the metal ones like my 06 sprung a leak), neutral sensing unit screws need to be Loctited, less than 1% of bikes have had 3rd gear issues, 99-00 had a grenading starter gear

I would say amount of farkles available for each bike are about the same.

Schleppy had a dr650 that had a tard setup and the thing was downright hot.

I typically ignore this segment of bike as totally mediocre (which they are) but I am really of the opinion that you should get what you want. I considered a klr and rode janes, and I think I could live with it, but if I could score a soured up xrl or dr650 I'd be just as happy.
    The drz400 is out. I've had one, and would definitely prefer something else.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Lifer

You can tell the difference between a 260 or 280mm front brake? I can't.
    My DRZ has a 250mm stock and a 310mm brake on the sumo setup. That is noticeable. But then it could be stepping from a 21" front on a dirty tire to a 17 with performance street rubber. Too many variables.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    You can tell the difference between a 260 or 280mm front brake? I can't.
    My DRZ has a 250mm stock and a 310mm brake on the sumo setup. That is noticeable. But then it could be stepping from a 21" front on a dirty tire to a 17 with performance street rubber. Too many variables.
    Caliper and master makes more of a difference to me.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

DR paper gasket issues are only on the older ones.

The bike has no problem on the highway either. Plenty of reserve power if cruise with the flow of traffic; its not tapped out.

I do have an FMF pipe and rejet though. Bigger tank was a must for me.

2012 Tiger 800 XC

Quote Originally Posted by e30addict View Post
    DR paper gasket issues are only on the older ones.

The bike has no problem on the highway either. Plenty of reserve power if cruise with the flow of traffic; its not tapped out.

I do have an FMF pipe and rejet though. Bigger tank was a must for me.
    Indeed, the paper gaskets are only up to 04 I believe.

I have a bone stock airbox, all I did was shim the needle jet in my stock BST40 and put in an extended fuel screw. Also ground down the header weld and put a DG pipe on it. The biggest difference though was going from the 9:1 stock piston to the JE 10.5:1

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12