Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Someone knocked my bike over: insurance tech?

Over the weekend, I parked my bike out front of a friend's apartment. Overnight, a person in the apartment complex knocked the bike over (onto it's right side).

They were kind enough to leave their details, which I appreciate. The damage isn't cosmetically substantial but the quote for repairs isn't cheap... that's Ducati plastics for you, I guess.

Anyhow, the person who hit me is understandably upset at the cost of repairs (over $1500). I imagine they're going to have their insurance company pay. Now, my question is: have any of y'all been in this situation before? The bike was immaculate before it went down, and I haven't cleaned it up since -- you can clearly see the asphalt lodged in the can, fairing etc. It's obvious the damage is recent. But that said, is the person's insurance company going to try and screw me?

I've never been involved in an accident before, so I really have no idea about this stuff. The bike was parked and the accident obviously the other person's fault, so my insurance company is not involved.

Thoughts? Suggestions? I am guessing, at this point, that the person's insurance company will call the Ducati dealer where I had the estimate taken, as well as probably calling me to see the damage for themselves. I would guess that, like any prudent person would do, they want to verify that the damage caused was by the accident and not pre-existing.

Any input would be appreciated, ladies.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This exact thing happened to me, and in a lengthy and detailed post named 'don't step away for five goddamn minutes.'

When my bike got creamed, it bent the handlebar, broke the rearset, foot peg, rear brake, plastics, etc. Their insurance company called it a total loss, but that's because the bike was worth only 3k anyway.

In your case, a claims adjuster from their insurance should come and take down all the damages then give you a quote. This is what happened with me anyway. You're right in that plastics are NOT cheap, for instance an upper cowling for a 95 zx7 was 650 bucks. And that ain't ducati plastics.

I had mine totalled and kept the bike, they offered me $3k for it altogether, or keep it for $2500. I'm happy to say I restored it to previous-knockage state myself for $180. I just have to get the salvage paperwork in order.

My case was all set because I called the police when it happened and there was a report, the guy who hit it took off but admitted to it when someone took their plates down. You could run into bullshit with them saying previous damages were there, since there's no actual police report about it, but then again you are in contact with them and they have admitted to it.

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

Thanks for your post, buddy. I'll look the thread up.

Yeah, Ducati panels aren't cheap, but there is a dent in my right-hand exhaust now (with some asphalt stuck in there) which cost more than the fairing! My bike is a cafe racer anyway, so only little fairings.

The police were never called because she didn't think the damage was that substantial (which I would agree with) and because I wasn't there when it happened, and she couldn't find me to tell me (she didn't know who I was there visiting). Do you think, now that I have an estimate, that I should make a police report?

They admitted the damage up-front, and obviously as the bike was parked fault is a non-issue. I am just worried that the insurance company will try and screw me by suggesting the bike may have already been damaged, which it wasn't -- that's a bullshit tactic, the only way that could ever be a fair call is if you were riding the bike home from the dealer after it came out of the crate...

i think they would have to prove that the vehicle WAS in a previous accident, by a claim filed and no repair work order. so imo your all set, sux though having to deal with all the bs, waiting and no bike. some people have actually sued and won based on the collectable nature of a vehicle and the fact the it's value was damaged because it was in an accident..... this is on top of the repairs. with cars it's pretty cut and dried ins companys try to get you to take it to one of thier shops (read they get a deal, you get screwed with shoddy work or an incomplete job; hidden damage) bikes are different because not everyone works on them and parts are mainly available to dealers. tip over in a parking lot probally has the best potential for the least damage. at least it's better that being dragged under a truck!!!! i suppose a loner (bike rental) like you'd get with a auto repair would be nice but i've never heard of anything like that. maybe they will pay something for the loss of use....
    gl with that, chin up, you'll ride again on a pretty bike.

Ri: Cheers. I've just never dealt with insurance companies before, and don't wanna get screwed if they know to play hardball from the start.

The bike is a 1995 and has 6100mi, so obviously it's not abused or in shitty condition. Getting a rental bike is a good idea, didn't think of that! The missus would kill me if I had to take the car every day

There are only a handful of bike dealers in Maine and only one Ducati dealer. So, like you say, it's probably a different deal when it comes to bikes.

Originally posted by Zolden

I had mine totalled and kept the bike, they offered me $3k for it altogether, or keep it for $2500. I'm happy to say I restored it to previous-knockage state myself for $180. I just have to get the salvage paperwork in order.
    And this is why bike insurance costs everyone else an arm and a leg, good work!

It should be an easy case. The person who knocked the bike over has already admitted fault. Get their insurance info and call them(insurance co.). They will, in turn, call their insured and an adjuster will get in touch with you to look at the bike. After they look at the bike, they will come up with a repair estimate and present it to you. If you're satisfied with the estimate, they will send you a check. Pretty simple.

LRRS#167

The Insurance Company will write the appraisal in accordance to ME laws if it happened in ME. I should think you should make out on the + side if you do all teh labor yourself. By the plastics and can and do you self. You'd be surprised, most insurance companies are pretty fair.

If you disagree with their appraisal, most states have ways to appeal/squak to a 3rd party, such as an arbitrator to get it resolved fairly.

Good luck w/ the duc.

All I want for Christmas is another rear tire.....

http://www.ratemythong.com/indexhome.php

Originally posted by odduc
    It should be an easy case. The person who knocked the bike over has already admitted fault. Get their insurance info and call them(insurance co.). They will, in turn, call their insured and an adjuster will get in touch with you to look at the bike. After they look at the bike, they will come up with a repair estimate and present it to you. If you're satisfied with the estimate, they will send you a check. Pretty simple.
    Are you recommending that I contact her insurance company, instead of letting her do it (which is what's happening now)?

I faxed her the quote for repairs, which presumably she will fax to her insurance company. Like I said, it is obvious the damage is from the bike falling over; and I think an adjuster will be able to see that clearly. I just don't want them to try and say "well you don't have photos of the bike before, so how do we know?" kinda thing. But I'm just being paranoid...

Originally posted by Cue Ball
    The Insurance Company will write the appraisal in accordance to ME laws if it happened in ME. I should think you should make out on the + side if you do all teh labor yourself. By the plastics and can and do you self. You'd be surprised, most insurance companies are pretty fair.

If you disagree with their appraisal, most states have ways to appeal/squak to a 3rd party, such as an arbitrator to get it resolved fairly.

Good luck w/ the duc.
    I can do the labor myself -- it is all easily swappable stuff. Footrest, bracket, brake lever, exhaust, etc. No frame damage to speak of.

Plastics I dunno about -- maybe I'd get them repaired instead of replaced.

Originally posted by number9
    Are you recommending that I contact her insurance company, instead of letting her do it (which is what's happening now)?

I faxed her the quote for repairs, which presumably she will fax to her insurance company. Like I said, it is obvious the damage is from the bike falling over; and I think an adjuster will be able to see that clearly. I just don't want them to try and say "well you don't have photos of the bike before, so how do we know?" kinda thing. But I'm just being paranoid...
    Call her insurance company and get the appraisal set up, they most likely will not accept your estimate. This way, if the bike gets additional damage from another loss (God forbid) you won't get screwed.

All I want for Christmas is another rear tire.....

http://www.ratemythong.com/indexhome.php

Her insurance company will probably call you. However, you might want to call them just to get things moving along. If she has already called them, ask her for a claim number that you can reference when you try to call.

LRRS#167

Her insurance company left me a message on my machine, complete with phone # and case #. Nice.

I'll have to call them on Monday, they were closed by the time I got the message.

Originally posted by tonyd
    You can actually thank the claims adjuster, I did nothing more than bring the bike out of the shed and have him look at it.

If they offered me an option aside from total/take and total/salvage I'd have chosen it, you think I want to deal with all the salvage paperwork crap?

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

No, 18yo fucknuts buying GSX-R 1000s and crashing them is what drives up insurance costs.

Originally posted by Zolden
    You can actually thank the claims adjuster, I did nothing more than bring the bike out of the shed and have him look at it.

If they offered me an option aside from total/take and total/salvage I'd have chosen it, you think I want to deal with all the salvage paperwork crap?
    If you told the guy "I can get that fixed for $180", they would have handed you a check for $180 and there would have been no salvage crap to deal with. Instead you had the cake and ate it too.

If you told the guy "I can get that fixed for $180", they would have handed you a check for $180 and there would have been no salvage crap to deal with. Instead you had the cake and ate it too.
    Why shouldn't have his cake?

If someone has an immaculate bike and someone else is at-fault and damages it, they have a responsibility to repair it to the condition that it was in prior to the accident, and NOT to a ridable condition. If you have your bike damaged by someone else but will accept riding it with the cosmetic damage so long as you're repaid for what it would have to get fixed, what's wrong with that?

Chris...WOW...That SUCKS!!! If you have your estimate, their claims adjuster will come out and take a look. They will look to use used parts and aftermarket parts to fix your bike...I know from first hand experience when I was rearended in my truck...Push hard for factory...I did and won...

Let me know if you need a hand installing the parts and I'll lend a hand...

07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

Just because it cost HIM 180 doesn't mean that that what it should've cost. Insurance companies usually go by OE prices (deflated/depreciated comes into play i think), and i'm sure it would've been much more than 180bux, not to mention he did his own work (i assume). Granted he repaired it for cheap but he can't put a price tag on the blemished title either.

number9,

Just to let u know that ducati red is damn near impossible to color match if you decide to repair them. Here's a nice site with pre-colored duc fairings for relatively cheap money. http://www.vimoriracing.com/

2021 Ducati Panigale V2
    2020 Honda Grom

Originally posted by Tiller Ayuh
    Chris...WOW...That SUCKS!!! If you have your estimate, their claims adjuster will come out and take a look. They will look to use used parts and aftermarket parts to fix your bike...I know from first hand experience when I was rearended in my truck...Push hard for factory...I did and won...

Let me know if you need a hand installing the parts and I'll lend a hand...
    Thanks mate!

I'll see what they say when I speak to the adjuster on Monday. I don't mind using aftermarket parts, but I don't think I'd let them put used ones on!!

The insurance assessor came today... will post news tonight.

The assessor matched my quote to the penny, so I will get a nice check in the mail. Glad this is over...

Glad to hear it all went smooth!! You never know sometimes when dealing with insurance companies whether it will be a battle or not...

Hope you've put more miles on your Duc than the 600 pathetic miles I have done this year...I hope the next couple months will mean more riding for me...If I have a chance to get out...I'll give you a ring...Also, let me know if you want a hand once you get the new stuff for your bike...

07 Ducati 999S Team USA
    04 Ducati ST3
    66 BMW R50/2 - Project

Originally posted by Tiller Ayuh
    Glad to hear it all went smooth!! You never know sometimes when dealing with insurance companies whether it will be a battle or not...

Hope you've put more miles on your Duc than the 600 pathetic miles I have done this year...I hope the next couple months will mean more riding for me...If I have a chance to get out...I'll give you a ring...Also, let me know if you want a hand once you get the new stuff for your bike...
    Thanks Tiller. Though every time I leave a message for you, you never call back... don't you love me anymore?

But seriously, thanks. I'm glad it all got sorted out, I gotta call Milanos this morning and get the essential stuff I ordered. Know any good body shops? I want to get the fairings touched up instead of replacing them.

Dunno how many miles I've done this year, 1500 or so? My commute on the bike is only 3 miles each way, but I go up I-295 just so I can go a little quicker

I agree with you in principle. Insurance is a scam, plain and simple and the methodology they use for determining what is a fair market value and how much it should cost seems like black magic, but that IS the way it's done. If you are saying someone should allow the insurance companies to pocket the cost for someone who does his own repair work and seeks out cheap, used parts, I would say you are quite naive that "we" would ever see that savings reflected in our policies.

In the meantime, I hope there is REAL insurance reform, esp. here in MA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast