Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Kryptonite Lock Idea

Kryptonite Lock Idea

This might be "no shit" idea to some of you. I only discovered it recently.

When I was out and about I used throw a Kryptonite lock thru the front brake rotors. I know it won't keep the bike from getting stolen. I merely intend to slow the bastards down.

I don't know how many times I forgot the lock was there. I figured it out after about 6 inches or less of travel.

I discovered the lock can be closed on the brake handle. So the front brake is perpetually locked on. The lock can't be removed easily due to the curve of the handle and the ball end of the handle.

Sure, a couple of tough-guys can lift my bike and throw in the back of a truck and take off. It's going to be a bitch to move as long as the front brake is locked on. At least until they figure out to cut the brake lines...

The idea is to deter theft. If someone really wants the bike they are going to get it.

Cheers!

PS: It is a post 2004 lock that is supposed to defeat the Bic pen lock pick technique.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Kryptonite Lock Idea

Sounds reasonable. I chain up the rear wheel running links through my sprocket. Now the thieving f@ck will have to break through the drive chain and remove the wheel if they can't get through the lock and links themselves. I use a 12mm Onguard chain. It's about as tough as you can get and is gonna be a bitch for even a pro if it is chained to a solid fixed point.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Kryptonite Lock Idea

I do the same thing when I load my bike and ramp on my truck. I run a cable thru the rear rim, the ramp and thru an eyebolt in the bed of the truck. I know someone can get it off the truck if they really want to. My plan is to encourage them to find something easier to steal.

Have a great one!

Kryptonite Lock Idea

Quote Originally Posted by CBRent View Post
    When I was out and about I used throw a Kryptonite lock thru the front brake rotors. I know it won't keep the bike from getting stolen. I merely intend to slow the bastards down.
    That's only going to slow the amateurs down. The pros use two pipes, 4 guys and a van. They run a pipe through the front wheel, a pipe through the rear wheel and then with a guy on each end of the pipe lift it up and toss it in the van. The theft takes less time than it took to read my description. Your best bet is to lock it to something stationary. If you're in a group, pull all the front tires together in a circle and pass a chain and lock through the front tires. This makes them extremely difficult to lift up at once.

Last edited by Cheese; 07-25-07 at 08:05 PM.

Kryptonite Lock Idea

i have the huge ass master padlock handcuffs, my bitch aint goin anywhere

.:|LaRNZ|:.

Kryptonite Lock Idea

My solution is to drive my sportster to work, park it on the street...no problems.

The idea is to deter theft...if someone wants a bike they will take the Gixxer that parks next to my bike.

Kryptonite Lock Idea

Quote Originally Posted by wookie View Post
    My solution i to drive my sportster to work, park it on the street...no problems.

The idea is to deter theft...if someone wants a bike they will take the Gixxer that parks next to my bike.

damn 883s

~ Life passes most people by while they're busy making grand plans for it.~

Kryptonite Lock Idea

I have the same lock and feel the same way. I use the lock to detur theives. If someone really wants my bike they are going to take it no matter how much you lock it up. Thats why you should have good insurance on the bike.