Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

KTM 890 SMT confirmed

KTM 890 SMT confirmed

(I coulda sworn there used to be a “KTM parallel twins” thread)

KTM press release confirms its coming April 24
    https://press.ktm.com/news-the-rumor...=international

Spy shots and more details here. Basically the 890 Adv chassis with the 890 Duke suspension/brakes/wheels
    https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/...s/ktm-890-smt/

I like it, should be an awesome street bike. Heard/read nothing but glowing reviews of the 890 engine. Looking forward to when there’s lightly used ones for sale for <$6k lol.

6 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: KTM 890 SMT confirmed

I will confirm for those that have not ridden the 890 lump, It's the goldilocks of engines. It makes an honest 100+bhp and 73ft lbs of torque. This feels like a smooth supermoto in my 890 Rally. I can wheelie the thing in 3rd gear at 50mph like my old 701SM. Seriously fun, punchy yet smooth power delivery. The effect is a bike that feels really light and rides like a 701SM yet can handle all day highway riding like a bigger bore machine.

If I were looking for a commuter that is outrageously fun for hooning on the weekend on our bombed out New England frost heaves, broken pavement roads, this would be really high on the list. The 890 is highway capable over the 701 or even the 790 ADV-R I had. It has more passing power at 70mph than the lower cc KTM's. The primary balance is really smooth for the P-twin with its offset crank The crank pins are offset by 75 degrees, which means that the sparks are separated either by 285 degrees. This translates to smooth power in that there is never a time when both pistons are stopped at the same time. The 890 has a larger flywheel over the older 790 engine. That was a big help with controlling wheelies and for low RPM throttle input. My old 790 would flame out mid corner when you went from trailing throttle to giving it the beans. (I hear the newer budget built 790's are getting the bigger flywheel)

City bikes with higher seat height allow you a better view of the situation. Also being narrow allow you to dart through the openings and get out of the tangle into the spot you want to be it. Toss a top box on this thing and you have the perfect commuter that isn't boring as dry toast.

7 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

I'd absolutely replace the Multi with one of these. And I already have an 890R Duke sitting in the garage. That motor is just SO good.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Kind of ugly from the side view. Needs a beak. Lol

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

14 Triumph Street Triple R, 18 TM 450SMX sumo, 15 Husky 250SXF tard, 14 KTM 250SXF and Cole's Grom
    LRRS/CCS #66
    Thank you to my sponsors: Sidi / AMSOIL / Klutch Industries

KTM 890 SMT confirmed-img_6351-jpg

I just scored a 990 SMR after a couple years searching. Here's hoping they come out with a stripped down but upspec version on the 890 platform as well.

'19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

I love my 790 motor in my Duke and wished the features and power plant was in my FJ.

This may be the one time I go new for a bike if I can throw a leg over a demo bike.

Such a great addition to the dad bike field

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by Zolden View Post
    Here's hoping they come out with a stripped down but upspec version on the 890 platform as well.
    The 890 Duke R already exists
    I don’t know too much about KTM, but I doubt this upright road-based SMT model will be getting the R suspension

Congrats on the 990 SMR! those are kickass bikes and don’t pop up for sale often

As much as I love seeing new models, my assumption is this is really going to muddy the waters between the 890 Duke and the 890 Adventure, and will probably have a short life as a result. My gut says the market for a long travel suspension, 17/17 street biased middleweight is pretty niche. It's possible the US will never even see it.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    As much as I love seeing new models, my assumption is this is really going to muddy the waters between the 890 Duke and the 890 Adventure, and will probably have a short life as a result. My gut says the market for a long travel suspension, 17/17 street biased middleweight is pretty niche. It's possible the US will never even see it.
    KTM has already been successful with this formula though:

990 Superduke
    990 SMT
    990 Adventure

And similarly with the 1290 series (SDR, SDGT, SA)
    Upright half-faired 17/17 middleweights like the FZ6, Versys 650, FJ09, have been selling real well.
    I like it for the do-it-all / can-only-own-one street bike. Light enough to daily commute around town, long enough legs to handle a few hours down a highway, comfy enough for light touring or occasional 2-up, fun enough to hoon around on a weekend or trackday.
    Basically my old FZ6 with more character (and possibly European “quirks”)

Unfortunately I agree that we might not see it here…

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    KTM has already been successful with this formula though:

990 Superduke
    990 SMT
    990 Adventure

And similarly with the 1290 series (SDR, SDGT, SA)
    Upright half-faired 17/17 middleweights like the FZ6, Versys 650, FJ09, have been selling real well.
    I like it for the do-it-all / can-only-own-one street bike. Light enough to daily commute around town, long enough legs to handle a few hours down a highway, comfy enough for light touring or occasional 2-up, fun enough to hoon around on a weekend or trackday.
    Basically my old FZ6 with more character (and possibly European “quirks”)

Unfortunately I agree that we might not see it here…
    I understand that there is precedent, although I disagree that the FZ6, Versys 650 and FJ09 could ever be considered "long travel".

The other question is, how many 990 SMT's did KTM sell relative to the SD or Adventures? I don't think I've ever seen one in the wild. Likewise it's apparent to me that while the SDGT exists, it's basically doesn't exist in the real world. I think I've seen one in my entire KTM ownership experience (vs numerous SDR's and Super Adventures). And there's that one dude on advrider.com who basically converted his SDGT into a Super Adventure, which is kinda baffling to me.

It's a formula that should make a lot of sense, but it's a really niche market IMO, like naked bikes were 20 years ago.

Last edited by SRTie4k; 02-22-23 at 04:14 PM.
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    The 890 Duke R already exists
    I don’t know too much about KTM, but I doubt this upright road-based SMT model will be getting the R suspension

Congrats on the 990 SMR! those are kickass bikes and don’t pop up for sale often
    Thanks! You're not wrong, and I could have went out and bought a Duke 890 R - that latest blue tank livery is appealing. But as someone who is aging quickly and busted up from several bad track crashes, I didn't want the sportbike positioning for something I'm using for a canyon rip and maybe have an occasional lax trackday on. I had the Tuono 1100 and knew it wasn't what I was looking for.

I still think there's a great market for upright middleweight 17" wheel bikes (not naked sportbikes) in the US, and there isn't really a current offering out there I can think of (edit: aside from a hypermotard)? KTM is already great about muddying or cannibalizing their offerings... I've lost count of how many 1290 variants are out there from the factory.

More options are always welcome. Also had to lol at the dad bike offering comment... I feel like my 990 is totally an exercise in "make it a dad bike, but make it badass"

Last edited by Zolden; 02-22-23 at 11:47 PM.
    '19 Husqvarna FS450 Race

Awesome!

But why not just buy an 890 Adventure (not the -R). It has smaller street biased cast wheels, and to be honest, I think ADV platforms make excellent touring bikes

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Awesome!

But why not just buy an 890 Adventure (not the -R). It has smaller street biased cast wheels, and to be honest, I think ADV platforms make excellent touring bikes
    Pretty sure you’re confusing the 890 Adv non-R with one of the 1290 Adv non-R variants; everything I’ve read says that both 890’s have 21/18 wheels.

This is aimed at more of a sport / sport-touring market. Even with a 19” front wheel, there really isn’t any super-sticky 19” front tire suitable for a faster-pace track day (I’ve looked for my DR650 19/17 wheel set)

I’d totally be into this. Like the hairy one said, would replace my Multi. I really like the look of the V2 Multi, but don’t like $20k. This thing with the electronics do dads such as cruise, up/down qs, TC, ABS would be a perfect street bike, no need for high spec suspension and brakes. Offering at $10k ballpark and I’m a buyer. I want the 17’s!

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Oops, mistake I did make…both 890 adventure variants have 21/18’s

The hairy one?

Hypertarded

very cool bike, could see owning one at some point if they make it over...

slightly, but...

I'm very confused by KTMs pricing of their various offerings to the USA, mainly this group:
    2023 KTM 890 Duke-R $13,700 (it looks like they dropped the regular 890 Duke, at least didn't see on the KTM site)
    2023 KTM 790 Duke $9,900
    2023 KTM 690SM-R / Enduro-R $13,700

I realize they don't sell many 690SM-R in the US, but this may be why, that's a tuff $$$ point when compared to those other 2...

I understand 10/10

But if you want to play the euro bike game, you have to be brutally honest about what you want independent of what it costs. You have to let go of the value equation of “what you get vs what you spent.” Once you’re past that, they will perform at the bleeding edge of its intended usage. There’s a reason for the sea of orange at dual sport/ADV events and at the back of the senior/experienced rider’s trucks

Not that it’s “the” reason, but The 690 weighs a lot less than the 890’s, and that means a lot off road when things get more technical and you have to pick it up (worse - by yourself). It doesn’t compare to the 890, but rather the KLR650/DR650/XR650L; and it kicks their asses by a long shot.

I learned this the hard way and actually spent over $13,000 on an FE350 OTD…and in the end it was “meh” and “just a dirt bike”. It’s a great bike for its intended usage, but I wasn’t doing super technical single track that needs a plate. I am doing more long distance dual sport riding with occasionally 80mph of pavement, or local fire roads with short single track sections that I have a plated YZ for, which handles engine temps far better in the slower gnar, and fairly light. If I did it all over again for long distance desert duty, for an extra $500 I could have had a 501 and kept it; it’s better suited to the type of riding I do. Yes, you lose money in depreciation, but you lose a lot more picking the wrong model in the lineup

Last edited by breakdirt916; 02-23-23 at 05:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    If I did it all over again for long distance desert duty, for an extra $500 I could have had a 501 and kept it; it’s better suited to the type of riding I do. Yes, you lose money in depreciation, but you lose a lot more picking the wrong model in the lineup
    To be fair, this advice was provided before you bought

I went to MMI I know what Im doing here chief

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

This could potentially replace both my street steeds… MTS1200S and ZRX1100…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CCS/LRRS #83

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by scottieducati View Post
    This could potentially replace both my street steeds… MTS1200S and ZRX1100…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    How much you want for the ZRX <3. Pics?

Your park avenue leads to..

Lifer

I test rode the Duke 890 at Dirtdaze - granted a short loop. I also rode the MT-09 SP on a separate occasion. I kind of liked the Yamaha's motor better. I had no complaints about the 890 as it had plenty of power, but I thought is lacked a little in the character department. As for the SMT, as long as they are able to keep it around the 470lbs wet weight as with the 890 ADV it should be a hoot! I have an FJ-09 and MTS1200S (2013 lighter one) and they are great for fun and commuting. I test rode the 990 SMT 12 years ago and also enjoyed it. They are different than the standards and for the terrible roads we have in the Boston area probably better!

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I test rode the Duke 890 at Dirtdaze - granted a short loop. I also rode the MT-09 SP on a separate occasion. I kind of liked the Yamaha's motor better.
    I have the 890 in my ADV bike and the Yamaha 900 triple in the new XSR900 that I bought at the end of November. That 900 triple motor is a freaking riot! I think its a better motor for street riding. It has so much character while delivering really smooth (almost inline 4) power. I hear the 900 Tracer GT is pretty much the same power delivery in a more sport touring guise. It feels a bit more substantial than the 890 lump but it more than makes up for it when the rev's reach close to the red line. I think anyone looking at the SMT should look at the Yamaha Tracer GT. It's that styling that either you like it or you don't. I don't understand Yamaha's fascination with transformer looks but then again, I'm too old for the demographic. Yamaha comes with the goodies. KTM is a la carte

KTM 890 lump = Punchy off the bottom, lots of torque like a single, tends to run out of steam near top end. Wheelies like a 701SM and feels like your riding a KTM.
    Yamaha 900 lump = Smooth smooth, buttery low end, intake honking, wailing top end. The smoothness of the delivery is the good stuff. Yamaha built to last.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    I test rode the Duke 890 at Dirtdaze - granted a short loop. I also rode the MT-09 SP on a separate occasion. I kind of liked the Yamaha's motor better. I had no complaints about the 890 as it had plenty of power, but I thought is lacked a little in the character department. As for the SMT, as long as they are able to keep it around the 470lbs wet weight as with the 890 ADV it should be a hoot! I have an FJ-09 and MTS1200S (2013 lighter one) and they are great for fun and commuting. I test rode the 990 SMT 12 years ago and also enjoyed it. They are different than the standards and for the terrible roads we have in the Boston area probably better!
    It's gotta weight notably less than the Adventure. The 890 Duke is what, 400lbs wet? The long travel suspension and a few more fairings will add some weight to that, but it can't be much.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Kinda feels like a man could replace a Hyperstrada and a 701 with one of these.

-Jared
    ZX-4RR, Hyperstrada 821, ZX-6R (FS!), 701 E/SM (FS!)

Quote Originally Posted by Zolden View Post
    Here's hoping they come out with a stripped down but upspec version on the 890 platform as well.
    Spy shots in Europe for a potential Husky Nuda 890/901
    Article with pics via Google Translate

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast