Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

KTM 890 SMT confirmed

Re: KTM 890 SMT confirmed

I was lucky enough to get a little ride this afternoon on the 890 adv and put a little mileage down on the FJ afterwards and I completely agree with DucatiDr.

The CP3 motor is such a better road mannered bike over the 890. Rally mode is fun and all but if you Want a bike truest suited for the street I’ll side with the triple every day. I don’t think I could do real slab touring trip on the 890 if I still have the FJ.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Hypertarded

OH I like that a LOT

looks good, but just read the details, too much weight gain over the 890duke: 890 dukeR = 366Lbs 890SMT = 428Lbs.

Last edited by FriskyDingo; 04-24-23 at 12:35 PM.

Here's the press release
    https://press.ktm.com/news-king-of-t...=international

I like it. Dry weight is pretty much identical to the dry weight of the old 990 SMT. About 10-15 lbs lighter than the 890 adventure.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    This feels like a smooth supermoto in my 890 Rally. I can wheelie the thing in 3rd gear at 50mph like my old 701SM. Seriously fun, punchy yet smooth power delivery. The effect is a bike that feels really light and rides like a 701SM yet can handle all day highway riding like a bigger bore machine.

If I were looking for a commuter that is outrageously fun for hooning on the weekend on our bombed out New England frost heaves, broken pavement roads, this would be really high on the list. The 890 is highway capable over the 701 or even the 790 ADV-R I had. It has more passing power at 70mph than the lower cc KTM's.
    I have a 690 enduro that I combo as a dual sport and street bike, and these statements are a language I understand, thanks!

I have no need/means/priority to buy the SMT, but if it truly feels like the 690 on street with all day high riding cabaility, it sounds like an absolute hoot

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Additional press photos with factory luggage

"Factory luggage" aka we made too many of these for the adventure bikes and nobody buys them.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Hypertarded

If I didn't already own a Duke 890R, this thing would be top of my list.

I'm slightly considering it as a replacement to the Meh-tistrada.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    If I didn't already own a Duke 890R, this thing would be top of my list.

I'm slightly considering it as a replacement to the Meh-tistrada.
    Meh-tistrada??? Oh, I see it is the 950. I have a 2013 1200S - it's mental.
    I have yet to see a negative review of the 950. Is it just a great bike but not inspiring? Why meh? Have always wanted to try the MTS950 and missed my opportunity when they were for rent at Foxboro through Eaglerider
    I ride a lot of 2-up with my 15yo son on the 1200S and the power is out of this world. I had a frient who used to own the 2016 MTS1200S DVT and said mine is much more direct and felt faster. I only have a temi slip on from what I saw, so not sure that it really adds any power over stock

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

No, it's not a great bike. At all.

1. The clutch is HORRENDOUS when cold. Like, good luck not stalling it. There was a fix for other years/models, but not this one. It's incredibly grabby, to the point of you getting barely to the friction zone and then POP, it's like it fully releases itself. Doesn't do it when warm.

2. Brakes/suspension are "fine". Just fine, nothing great. But the lack of feedback is the biggest issue. Just so vague.

3. Motor is lazy. For a 950cc v-twin, it's just got next to nothing down low, and never gets excited unless you rev the pants off it. And even then, it's top end doesn't have much for urgency. It's like my Wee-Strom, but just a little more power everywhere. So vanilla. The Yamaha MT07 I rented in Cali with Bhavesh had more "soul", and I would expect it to keep up just as well.

4. You HAVE to take it to a dealer to reset the maintenance light/warning displays. No option to reset it yourself. None. Fucking STUPID.

5. Fastener/build quality is poor. Plastic with tiny metal nuts pressed into it everywhere. Once those strip the plastic, you have to drill out the fastener to get things apart (like the battery hold down strap). Guess it's a "exotic ducati experience" thing. Over-engineered without the KISS concept.

6. Want to change ride modes? Better open up the manual. Ride mode/ABS/TC system is not intuitive at all.

7. Wind buffeting stock at highway speeds is terrible. Downright dangerous given your inability to read street signs from perpetual blur, nevermind the headache after 30 minutes. I designed and 3D printed my own windshield mounts to fix it, but c'mon Ducati. You clearly never once rode this thing at highway speed during the development cycle. Widely complained about issue.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

1. The clutch is HORRENDOUS when cold. Like, good luck not stalling it. There was a fix for other years/models, but not this one. It's incredibly grabby, to the point of you getting barely to the friction zone and then POP, it's like it fully releases itself. Doesn't do it when warm.

2. Brakes/suspension are "fine". Just fine, nothing great. But the lack of feedback is the biggest issue. Just so vague.

3. Motor is lazy. For a 950cc v-twin, it's just got next to nothing down low, and never gets excited unless you rev the pants off it. And even then, it's top end doesn't have much for urgency. It's like my Wee-Strom, but just a little more power everywhere. So vanilla. The Yamaha MT07 I rented in Cali with Bhavesh had more "soul", and I would expect it to keep up just as well.

4. You HAVE to take it to a dealer to reset the maintenance light/warning displays. No option to reset it yourself. None. Fucking STUPID.

5. Fastener/build quality is poor. Plastic with tiny metal nuts pressed into it everywhere. Once those strip the plastic, you have to drill out the fastener to get things apart (like the battery hold down strap). Guess it's a "exotic ducati experience" thing. Over-engineered without the KISS concept.

6. Want to change ride modes? Better open up the manual. Ride mode/ABS/TC system is not intuitive at all.

7. Wind buffeting stock at highway speeds is terrible. Downright dangerous given your inability to read street signs from perpetual blur, never mind the headache after 30 minutes. I designed and 3D printed my own windshield mounts to fix it, but c'mon Ducati. You clearly never once rode this thing at highway speed during the development cycle. Widely complained about issue.
    #1 was an issue with the 2013/14 Hyperstrada's and was fixed for 2015/2016 so I am surprised this again is an issue.
    Thanks for the honest feedback. MT07 CP2 engine has a ton of character for an inline twin Japanese bike. Ride mode change on the older 2013 is simple - one button.
    Your comment reinforce my desire to keep my lovely 2013 MTS

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

7. Wind buffeting stock at highway speeds is terrible. Downright dangerous given your inability to read street signs from perpetual blur, nevermind the headache after 30 minutes. I designed and 3D printed my own windshield mounts to fix it, but c'mon Ducati. You clearly never once rode this thing at highway speed during the development cycle. Widely complained about issue.
    Interesting, I’ve really wanted a 1200 for years and loved it when I rode one. I had just convinced myself to consider the 950 because of all the good reviews, and the fact that I have a tough time convincing myself to spend $12000 on a 10+ year old bike, or buy a high mileage one (newer isn’t really an option as I’m not willing to take out loans on bikes). Sad to hear they might not be as good as I’d hoped, but glad to hear a dissenting opinion.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

It sounds like some of these issues were fixed in 2018. I suggest test riding and checking for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Interesting, I’ve really wanted a 1200 for years and loved it when I rode one. I had just convinced myself to consider the 950 because of all the good reviews, and the fact that I have a tough time convincing myself to spend $12000 on a 10+ year old bike, or buy a high mileage one (newer isn’t really an option as I’m not willing to take out loans on bikes). Sad to hear they might not be as good as I’d hoped, but glad to hear a dissenting opinion.
    You can come ride mine to judge for yourself. I may just be spoiled.

Then buy it and take it home.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR

Lifer

You can come ride mine to judge for yourself. I may just be spoiled.

Then buy it and take it home.
    That 950 sounds brutal. You should compare it to a 1200XE

Your park avenue leads to..

A buddy has the Duc 950 Multi and I was riding my 2022 Ninja H2 SX/SE when I told him to swap bikes and try the thing. I went from the Kawi inline 4 to the Duc.... OMG I couldn't wait to give him his bike back. The thing felt old, Like a Duc from the 90's. Noises coming from it sounded like a can of bolts being shook. It was perplexing. It's a new bike. With character in all the wrong places. Of course coming from a near perfectly smooth insanely powerful bike to the Duc was a big step down but I swap the H2 for my 890 and don't feel that same step down like that. KTM makes a bike that feels like a single piece of billet. I expect lots of wheelies and desires to launch off of curbs for no reason on this SMT if it comes to the states I think it will be a great all around commuter and weekend warrior.

Send cash... I need a track day

After owning the 890 Adventure R for 500 miles...the 890 is such a gem of a motor. It's got power pretty much everywhere it needs power, it's smooth when you want it to be, but it's still raucous when you get after it. This bike will still power wheelie in 3rd gear, and I think I can get it up in 4th if I really tried at the right RPM.

The only negatives I can think of; it's not quite as "cruise missile" as my 1290 was, it does run out of steam in the upper gears at higher RPM. Also at very low RPM's it does shake quite a bit more than I was expecting.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

So… if you could buy a low mileage 990 SMT for ~$9k or a new 890 for what looks like it might be ~$14k… which would you buy? I’m starting to think the bike makes more and more sense for me. Also, am I the only one who thinks the 990 fairing is ugly? I mean, I could live with it, but…

Also in the running: 790 Duke seems like a steal, 890 Duke seems great too, but more $$$. Both seem like they could work for me.

Last edited by Spooler; 06-01-23 at 08:51 PM.
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Maintenance looks to be almost twice as much on the 990 (9k mi valves) vs 890 (15k valves). How is getting parts for the chassis? I don’t see many 990smt’s out there and feel parts are thin.

I don’t think the shift assist is worth it but maybe I need to put more miles on mine. My fj shifts smoother without any aids. I’d want cruise but not for the $5k difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Crconnor18 View Post
    Maintenance looks to be almost twice as much on the 990 (9k mi valves) vs 890 (15k valves). How is getting parts for the chassis? I don’t see many 990smt’s out there and feel parts are thin.

I don’t think the shift assist is worth it but maybe I need to put more miles on mine. My fj shifts smoother without any aids. I’d want cruise but not for the $5k difference.
    I’m sure I’d get used to and like a quick shifter, but I’ve never had one and don’t particularly care about having one. I kind of hate the new KTM system where they sell the bike with everything activated and then deactivate after x miles. Cruise would be nice, but I can live without it.

I am generally inclined to pay more for a newer bike, and potential parts availability issues don’t do anything to change that…

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

So… if you could buy a low mileage 990 SMT for ~$9k or a new 890 for what looks like it might be ~$14k… which would you buy? I’m starting to think the bike makes more and more sense for me. Also, am I the only one who thinks the 990 fairing is ugly? I mean, I could live with it, but…

Also in the running: 790 Duke seems like a steal, 890 Duke seems great too, but more $$$. Both seem like they could work for me.
    Very different bikes. The 890SMT should feel much lighter and carry the weight lower. Obviously, much more refined. The 990 SMT was a terrific bike 12 years ago but it is outdated and gruff. If looking at used, I also suggest a well sorted FJ-09 for the comfort, fun and hooliganism (not to mention reliability).

I’d splurge for the 890SMT over the 990

Quote Originally Posted by dankatz View Post
    If looking at used, I also suggest a well sorted FJ-09 for the comfort, fun and hooliganism (not to mention reliability).

I’d splurge for the 890SMT over the 990
    Interesting about the FJ-09. I had a Tiger 1050 and always thought the FJ was the more modern, uglier equivalent. I rode an early FZ-09 and the fueling was so appallingly bad it kind of soured me on the whole range, although I’ve hear they sorted it out after the first couple years.

New vs used will be determined by whether I keep my Scrambler or not, which I’m kind of on the fence about. I’m hoping I can get a ride on something with an 890/790 engine at Dirtdaze this year to refresh my memory and help me make a decision

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

If you’re in the Waltham or Woburn area you’re welcome to try my 890 and FJ side by side for comparison.

Last edited by Crconnor18; 06-02-23 at 11:40 AM.

Lifer

Interesting about the FJ-09. I had a Tiger 1050 and always thought the FJ was the more modern, uglier equivalent. I rode an early FZ-09 and the fueling was so appallingly bad it kind of soured me on the whole range, although I’ve hear they sorted it out after the first couple years.

New vs used will be determined by whether I keep my Scrambler or not, which I’m kind of on the fence about. I’m hoping I can get a ride on something with an 890/790 engine at Dirtdaze this year to refresh my memory and help me make a decision
    The 2014-2016 FZ-09 had terrible fueling. In 2017 the FZ-09 adopted the much improved FJ-09 fueling. The FJ-09 fueling has always been fine, even from the first year of 2015. Triumphs, in general, have terrific FI management - better than Yamaha in my opinion if not the best in the market. My 2015 FJ-09 throttle is much easier to use than the 2013 Multistrada 1200s. The 1200S is a beast and very twitchy. I use my FJ-09 for daily commuting. It is fun, light, and easy to get along with. Plus, the triple does add a little character. The center of gravity and feel of the weight of the bike is much lower than the Tiger 1050. the tiger 1050 is the better looking for sure. I think the Tracer 900 improved on the looks and comfort in 2018, but also grew bigger (wheel base much longer) and became too mature for me ;-)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast