Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

KTM 890 SMT confirmed

Re: KTM 890 SMT confirmed

Welp, hopefully this vintage model will hold me over until the new 890 variants drop to 50% off on the used market
    KTM 890 SMT confirmed-img_8149-jpg

11 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Reeeeaaaally like the looks of this SMT. I bet it is an easy bike to love.

The more I ride my 890 ADV-R the more I like it. Motor, brakes and suspension are all just awesome. What isn't awesome is the 21/18 wheels. On one hand I am shocked how hard I can push a Pirelli Scorpion STR. On the other I kinda wish I could fit even more sport-touring oriented rubber. Like Pilot Roads or something. On the flip side I have a 2nd set of wheels with knobs on them and have discovered they aren't really for me. I do too much road and am too throttle and brake happy to make knobs anything but a waste of $. I have a couple knobbies on the shelf that I'll use up and then probably never buy anything more aggressive than a 50/50 Shinko 804/805 for this bike again and be just fine. I know some cats are sending these bikes like 350's in the woods. But I don't think I'm up for that. I had to switch to rain mode to try to conserve tread because I seem incapable of not rolling all the way on when exiting a corner... or flat tracking every dirt road corner I can find. Bad behavior! It's a bit like my WR450 SM with a windshield and a comfortable seat.

What is missing is a ADV/SM-whatever 890 package with a 19/17 wheel combo packaged as an up-right, mild, road bias ADVer. I think that'd be the shit. A 19" front for handling crap pavement and some mild rough gravel but still giving access to more road bias rubber. Either this SMT or the base ADV should be available with tubeless 19/17 wheels, spoked or cast.

I had the opportunity to do a quick demo of a T7 this weekend and left quite content with my choice of paying for the KTM. The brakes especially left me having flashbacks to my V-Strom. Not quite the experience I'm looking for at this point in my life. The T7's motor wasn't helped by the fact that it had an annoying loud exhaust on it. Kept me from really enjoying twisting it. And I hated the LCD dash.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    This is aimed at more of a sport / sport-touring market. Even with a 19” front wheel, there really isn’t any super-sticky 19” front tire suitable for a faster-pace track day (I’ve looked for my DR650 19/17 wheel set)
    Pilot road 6 is available in a 19" size. I think would absolutely rock that tire at a track day on my street bike and be mighty happy.
    Poor choice for a track only toy. I'll give you that. Fantastic choice for a sporty setup that comfortably rolls shitty New England roads though.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I keep hearing love for Dunlop Trailmax Missions as the ideal do it all tire from the local ADV types. So far my Michelin Scorchers seem up to the task on pavement but I've not really pushed them yet, and with my current pending bad decision I may not actually get the Pan Am at a track day like I hoped this year to proper test them.

Lifer

For better sport touring tires in 21/18 get Michelin Anakee III, Pirelli Scorpion Trail II, or Metzler Tourance NEXT - all are terrific on the road. Not great for a track day but excellent on the road.
    I have the Pirelli STR my Aprilia Tuareg and can vouch for them on the road as well. They handle pouring rain, corners, etc much better than one would expect. When they wear out I will consider the Karoo 4 as a better offroad tire with not much road compromise from what I hear. The Dunlop Trailmax Mission are super heavy and hard. They last longer and maybe marginally better offroad than the Pirelli. I wish Dunlop would bring their Trailmax Raid to the US already https://www.motorcyclenews.com/advic...d-tyre-review/

'15 Ducati Scrambler, '13 Multistrada 1200S, '07 VFR, '14 CRF250L/M, '15 FJ-09, '23 Tuareg

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Reeeeaaaally like the looks of this SMT. I bet it is an easy bike to love.

The more I ride my 890 ADV-R the more I like it. Motor, brakes and suspension are all just awesome. What isn't awesome is the 21/18 wheels. On one hand I am shocked how hard I can push a Pirelli Scorpion STR. On the other I kinda wish I could fit even more sport-touring oriented rubber. Like Pilot Roads or something. On the flip side I have a 2nd set of wheels with knobs on them and have discovered they aren't really for me. I do too much road and am too throttle and brake happy to make knobs anything but a waste of $. I have a couple knobbies on the shelf that I'll use up and then probably never buy anything more aggressive than a 50/50 Shinko 804/805 for this bike again and be just fine. I know some cats are sending these bikes like 350's in the woods. But I don't think I'm up for that. I had to switch to rain mode to try to conserve tread because I seem incapable of not rolling all the way on when exiting a corner... or flat tracking every dirt road corner I can find. Bad behavior! It's a bit like my WR450 SM with a windshield and a comfortable seat.

What is missing is a ADV/SM-whatever 890 package with a 19/17 wheel combo packaged as an up-right, mild, road bias ADVer. I think that'd be the shit. A 19" front for handling crap pavement and some mild rough gravel but still giving access to more road bias rubber. Either this SMT or the base ADV should be available with tubeless 19/17 wheels, spoked or cast.

I had the opportunity to do a quick demo of a T7 this weekend and left quite content with my choice of paying for the KTM. The brakes especially left me having flashbacks to my V-Strom. Not quite the experience I'm looking for at this point in my life. The T7's motor wasn't helped by the fact that it had an annoying loud exhaust on it. Kept me from really enjoying twisting it. And I hated the LCD dash.
    If you want 21/18 tires that are pretty good on the road check out the Shinko 705. Plus they’re super cheap. Metzler Tourance are ok too, and I think they have an updated version that are even more street oriented. But for my money it’s the Shinkos. And for more aggressive I have been very impressed with the Bridgestone AX41s on and off road, and they’re not too bad when you find them on sale. Not good for huge miles, but not terrible either.

I have kind of decided I want the 890 SMT as my next bike, but am not sure I want to wait, especially since it’s not confirmed to be coming to the US yet. Now I’m kind of looking at used 890 Adv Rs and wondering how I’d like it as mostly a street bike. I’m not sure why, but I find the 890 Adv S very unappealing…

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Such a great bike to have! You’ll love it.

As for the 890 wheel options, Ever consider getting a 19/17 setup off a 1x90? Im considering getting a set for my 890 to swap between daily riding & aggressive dirt. Looking to be about $1200 or so for the kit. You can get 17’s laced up but that really messes with the ergos on these R’s. Just swap before doing some rear dirt rides and keep some shinkos on the 19/17 set.

Not sure if these are still available, but the 2015-2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure wheels were 19/17 spoked. 3x19" front, 5x17" rear. Given the 890 wheels are exactly the same as the 1290R wheels including spacers (with different brake discs), they should drop right into the 890.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/...6040900114433a

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/...6041000114433a

It'll look a bit goofy with either fender, but if you're pining after the new SMT I doubt you care about looks lol...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

WTH, where ya been nhbubba and when did you get an 890

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

As for 21/18 road tires, the Conti Trail Attack 3's are extremely sticky. It's not an adventure tire at all, unless your adventure is riding over potholes. It's a flippin sport touring tire through and through.

The Battlax A41's (not AX41) are also sport touring tires that come in 21/18 sizing.

Avon Trailriders are alright as well. Road oriented sticky tires that don't last very long.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    As for 21/18 road tires, the Conti Trail Attack 3's are extremely sticky. It's not an adventure tire at all, unless your adventure is riding over potholes. It's a flippin sport touring tire through and through.

The Battlax A41's (not AX41) are also sport touring tires that come in 21/18 sizing.

Avon Trailriders are alright as well. Road oriented sticky tires that don't last very long.
    There’s also the new AT41, not sure if they’re any good though

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    If you want 21/18 tires that are pretty good on the road check out the Shinko 705. Plus theyÂ’re super cheap. Metzler Tourance are ok too, and I think they have an updated version that are even more street oriented. But for my money itÂ’s the Shinkos. And for more aggressive I have been very impressed with the Bridgestone AX41s on and off road, and theyÂ’re not too bad when you find them on sale. Not good for huge miles, but not terrible either.

I have kind of decided I want the 890 SMT as my next bike, but am not sure I want to wait, especially since itÂ’s not confirmed to be coming to the US yet. Now IÂ’m kind of looking at used 890 Adv Rs and wondering how IÂ’d like it as mostly a street bike. IÂ’m not sure why, but I find the 890 Adv S very unappealingÂ…
    Yeah. I have a shinko 705 on the rear of my "street" wheelset right now. It isn't bad. I think the brand or price must do something to me mentally but I just don't trust it as much as I do a Michelin or other top-tier tire for some reason. For that reason I have a Pirelli STR on the front of that set. Overall the pair served me very, very well. Did ~2000 miles down to WV and back recently. I rode the bike pretty damn hard in WV and was very happy with how it went.

As for street use on an 890 ADV-R. It is probably overkill. And the bike is fucking tall. So be tall as well or be ready to manage. I drop the bike constantly because I'm a clutz and so damn short. Just dumb tipovers from lost or poorly planned foot placement when tired and such. Once rolling I have zero issues and almost find the seat-peg layout cramped. I'm 5'10" ish with a 29-30" inseam. It is arguably too tall for me. Not sure I'd love doing stop and go on it all day. The low CG does make foot up stops doable though. Slow race champion material.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    WTH, where ya been nhbubba and when did you get an 890
    About a year ago. Bought it from a cat here. Sadly life is such and I've only been able to throw about 4500 miles on it so far.

KTM 890 SMT confirmed-img_5708-jpg

Not sure if these are still available, but the 2015-2017 KTM 1290 Super Adventure wheels were 19/17 spoked. 3x19" front, 5x17" rear. Given the 890 wheels are exactly the same as the 1290R wheels including spacers (with different brake discs), they should drop right into the 890.

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/...6040900114433a

https://www.motorcyclespareparts.eu/...6041000114433a

It'll look a bit goofy with either fender, but if you're pining after the new SMT I doubt you care about looks lol...
    Yes! There is also powerparts p/n 6070990114430 which is a spoked wheelset for the euro-market 1090 ADV (non-R). That bike came with alloy wheels and this was an upgrade path to spokes. I think we only got the 1090 ADV-R with 21/18 spoked wheels and so no US vendors seem to offer this. Looks like it could be about $1k all in shipped to door once you deduct VAT. That seems pretty reasonable. I may do that next winter.

I keep forgetting about the Attacks because they are so bloody expensive. But I hadn't heard of the A41's. They look the part. Although they aren't cheap either.

Lifer

KTM 890 SMT confirmed-img_8610-jpg

This is awesome, but I can’t find one in the entire country on cycletrader

Your park avenue leads to..

Hypertarded

they pop up on CL somewhat regularly, lot of times listed as an R, was a MA dealer that had a few last year listed forever. I think the small price gap to the R suspension upgrades kept sales low.

Lifer

So by all accounts, this engine is awesome, Egh?

Hypertarded

based on all reviews and all of the local owners here, sure sounds like it . Which is why i'm somewhat surprised by the number of used, low mileage deals out there. Only thing keeping me from picking up a 890R is having 3 bikes with how little I ride, and while I love the Duke 690 i'm thinking it may have to be sacrificed at some point for it's older brother...

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    KTM 890 SMT confirmed-img_8610-jpg

This is awesome, but I can’t find one in the entire country on cycletrader
    I have come to the conclusion that Cycle Trader is completely worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    based on all reviews and all of the local owners here, sure sounds like it . Which is why i'm somewhat surprised by the number of used, low mileage deals out there. Only thing keeping me from picking up a 890R is having 3 bikes with how little I ride, and while I love the Duke 690 i'm thinking it may have to be sacrificed at some point for it's older brother...
    The only thing keeping me from buying an 890R is that I think I want the SMT for versatility’s sake.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Hypertarded

I'd probably appreciate the longer travel of the SMT for the roads I ride, but the extra weight over the R is too much for me to accept the trade-off.

I’m at Dirtdaze and did a few KTM demos today. Talked to one of the KTM guys and he says that KTM has no intention of bringing the SMT to the states anytime soon, fwiw. I would have thought maybe he was trying to push the current models (not that the 890 adventures have trouble selling), but he was very open about talking about all the differences between the 2023 and 2024 EXC’s so…

KTM has been "behind" by a year with certain models like the 1290 Super Adventures in the US. They were originally released in the rest of the world a year before they were released here in the US, and if you look at the graphics of the 23 in Europe, they're new while the US graphics are still from last year for 23's.

They might just be behind by a year for models that sell more slowly. I'd expect an SMT to be a slow/small qty seller as well, much like the 1290 Super Duke GT.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

KTM has been "behind" by a year with certain models like the 1290 Super Adventures in the US. They were originally released in the rest of the world a year before they were released here in the US, and if you look at the graphics of the 23 in Europe, they're new while the US graphics are still from last year for 23's.

They might just be behind by a year for models that sell more slowly. I'd expect an SMT to be a slow/small qty seller as well, much like the 1290 Super Duke GT.
    That’s what I’ve been hoping. This KTM guy made me a little less sanguine, making me a little more likely to pull the trigger on an 890 Adventure… which was maybe his plan all along… mind blown

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

Ktm makes bikes in China now?

Lifer

KTM 890 SMT confirmed-img_8851-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gixxer View Post
    Ktm makes bikes in China now?
    They own a stake in cfmoto, and have manufacturing in India as well.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast