Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

KTM brakes

KTM brakes

The one thing i am really looking to upgrade this winter is the KTM's brakes. It has the stock master and caliper on it, 03 525EXC. Any suggestions out there? Seems to vary a lot as far as pricing goes. Not looking to spend a ton but, want something that stops the bike well. I have bled and bled them but after a little bit of hard riding i can pull the lever to the bar, not fun. Anything in the $300 dollar range that would work well for ocassional track use and mostly street use?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: KTM brakes

Motard? Dirt?
    For that kind of money you may want to consider something like:

http://www.motostrano.com/ebcsuovdico.html

If you want to go for a new master I'd really get a new rotor and caliper too to see the full benefit. It ain't cheap, but a good master, rotor and caliper will stop scary fast. Hey, at least there's only one rotor and caliper, right?

Last edited by Tricky Mike; 01-22-10 at 02:02 PM.

Motard. It has a oversized rotor on it now. Where would it be best to spend the money, caliper, master...? I could spend more, mainly just looking for the best brakes for the buck. Pretty much anything over stock will probably impress me.

Can't do one without the other:

Brembo cast caliper $300

http://www.qtmi.com/Supermotocalipers.html

Brembo 16x18 master $332

http://www.motostrano.com/brramacy16.html

Oh, you'll probably need a bracket for that radial-mount caliper too...
    http://www.qtmi.com/Supermotobracket.html

pretty much the same price, Motostrano has them as a set:

http://www.motostrano.com/brcaramocawi.html

Last edited by Tricky Mike; 01-22-10 at 02:37 PM.

Goodbye Sweet Dreams BLACK SQUIRREL's Avatar

Not A Magura. They have Bad Ju Ju.

I am running A Nissin 14mm Radial it Great and Cheap,

Dont overdo the Brakes, Dollar Bill is Fast as Stink with a Stock Caliper and Master on an 05 RMZ450.

Zip Tie Alley Racing #444

Signature edit by Tricky mike

Just Registered Crash Dummy Denno's Avatar

bah, my brakes are fine! haha

Denno - CCS|LRRS EX#49
    2006 Yamaha R6
    LRRS Rookie of the Year 2008

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

You have brakes?

Quote Originally Posted by Crash Dummy Denno View Post
    bah, my brakes are fine! haha

CCS/LRRS #83

MotoMaster complete race braking kit, and be done with it

Stock KTM braking components suck, as you have found out...though you may be able to salvage the line as I think it's stainless?

Yamaha

Quote Originally Posted by R7 View Post
    though you may be able to salvage the line as I think it's stainless?
    Good point. It should be... I'm using my stocker with a mix of other stuff. Works fine. I mean, not as good as Denno's, but OK.

I have heard of the brake problem from a few racers - but i have never had a problem... i assume the 07 560 has the same brake set up..... i do change the PADS after two days of on track.

ps not with the KTM PAds but with EBC

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

Quote Originally Posted by xsiliconkid View Post
    I have heard of the brake problem from a few racers - but i have never had a problem... i assume the 07 560 has the same brake set up..... i do change the PADS after two days of on track.

ps not with the KTM PAds but with EBC
    Different The EXC has the dirt Brakes, the SMR's have the beringer thingy

oh - that would suck!

Graham
    "If computers get too powerful, we can organize them into a committee — that will do them in"

The SMR's brake caliper tends to fade if the pads get worn at all. Tricky has the right idea -- Brembo cast caliper and a good master. I'm running the KTM Hard Parts radial master right now (works great, looks great, STUPID money) with the Brembo cast caliper and it's one finger stopping power anywhere on the track.

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

So, im looking in the $600 range to bump the braking power up a notch. Wow, i shouldnt be suprised though. I thought i had read somewhere about bumping up the master size with the stock caliper for a little more power? Wont work? Just dont think i can justify $600 on brakes....

You're not looking at one notch. That brembo setup would be more like 5 notches from the mx setup

You can cut the costs down a bit by doing some parts bin diving. There are lots of places (including Motostrano I believe) that sell an adapter bracket for the 40mm mount 4 pot Brembo caliper series. This caliper was used on a small crap-ton of Ducati bikes, right up through the Ducat ST3's of recent years. You should be able to find one cheap.

For a brake master, Nissin sells a radial pump sized just right for a single caliper setup under the 'Daytona' badge, $180 or so retail. Or, get a used pump from your favorite sport bike, or Ducati. Going with one sized for a dual caliper setup will result in less travel, and slightly less feel but it'll get the job done. A good donor bike would be a Ducati Multistrada as they used smaller 2 pot calipers?

Quote Originally Posted by MysteriousR1 View Post
    So, im looking in the $600 range to bump the braking power up a notch. Wow, i shouldnt be suprised though. I thought i had read somewhere about bumping up the master size with the stock caliper for a little more power? Wont work? Just dont think i can justify $600 on brakes....
    The problem is with the stock master and stock caliper. I have no idea what causes it, but they get air bubbles when they heat up. I tried the high temp fluid and bleeding often with no real improvement. The only way i could get feel with my KTM brake was to ziptie the lever to the bar and leave it overnight. Fine for street riding, but still on the track it would loose feel after the first 2 laps of a session. Even with the berringer caliper, I had similar problem.

MotoMaster, and thank me later

Yamaha

Curious, if i acually spend the money on a quailty brake set up can it be transfered to other bikes? Different off-set bracket of what not? Of if i buy a set up for my 03 it will only work for my 03?

The caliper mounting bracket may be different, but the caliper and master cylinder can be transferred to other bikes. I have a stock SMR caliper if you're interested, but it would require manufacturing a bracket (it's a radial mount caliper).

-Brian
    15 S-Works Venge

KTMs use the same brake mount across all their single cylinder dirty bikes, so if it fits your 03, it'll fit a 2010. The SMR and other street targeted singles use the same radial mount, so again if it fits one it'll swap to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    You can cut the costs down a bit by doing some parts bin diving. There are lots of places (including Motostrano I believe) that sell an adapter bracket for the 40mm mount 4 pot Brembo caliper series. This caliper was used on a small crap-ton of Ducati bikes, right up through the Ducat ST3's of recent years. You should be able to find one cheap.

For a brake master, Nissin sells a radial pump sized just right for a single caliper setup under the 'Daytona' badge, $180 or so retail. Or, get a used pump from your favorite sport bike, or Ducati. Going with one sized for a dual caliper setup will result in less travel, and slightly less feel but it'll get the job done. A good donor bike would be a Ducati Multistrada as they used smaller 2 pot calipers?
    The daytona is the Master I am running it works good. The problem with parts bin Brakes is the clearance on the back of stock calipers are too beefy and hit the spokes on the wheel as they are designed for Mag wheels, If you get the caliper from QTM or KTM or motormaster they are made (or machined in the case of the QTM brembo) to allow clearance.

I had a Braking rotor/caliper/16mm master on my crf and it was miiiiiiint. I'd get that setup again in a second.

LRRS #399
    MX #505

Quote Originally Posted by BLACK SQUIRREL View Post
    The problem with parts bin Brakes is the clearance on the back of stock calipers are too beefy and hit the spokes on the wheel as they are designed for Mag wheels.
    True, but if you're penny pinching, a file or grinder can clearance a caliper pretty quick. : ) I might just 'clearance' my KTM hard parts caliper so I can install/remove it without dropping the pads or unbolting the rotor first.

Any suggestions to a "kit" that i could buy? Or would i be better off purchasing the stuff that Tricky Mike posted seperate. The ones that i seem to be finding are over a $1000, easy. The Motomaster stuff is nice but, WOW its pricey. I think this is the year that i break down and get some nice breaks. The constant bleeding and losing all break feel and power is getting old. Also, in my case, will the brand not matter to much or are there a few to stay away from?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast