Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910

KTM midsize twins

Re: KTM midsize twins

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    I'm unsure on going to Wagner. Guy running the service department there is a well known guy in MC community who I happen to know personally. So that's a plus.

On the other hand, their service department hasn't been the best when servicing my Dad's bike in the past (missing bolts, broken bodywork tabs, scratched camshaft), and their "first service" (glorified oil change) price is way higher than others.

I've been told that Edelmann's in Troy NY (2 hours from me vs 1 hour to Wagners) has quite a good reputation for their work.

Did you get the Track Pack?

I did notice a good dead spot/feeling when using the Street ride mode vs Sport, and especially compared to Track. Even more so in Rain mode. I think that's what the ride modes are really doing, just numbing the first 1/4-1/3 throttle to a varying degree.

Put it in track mode if you have it, you'll get SHARP throttle. Quite nice actually. And on the fly traction control adjustments (0-9, pressing up/down arrows while you ride to adjust).

I can't wait to ride it now that the first service is done and the service computer has been reset past break in controls. Now I have the chance to not only rev it past 7k, but use launch control! Stupid hurricane getting in the way of being on track with it today and tomorrow.....

I have a decent setup for checking the lateral runout on the front rotors if you want to take a ride up some time. And I have the service manual if you want it (in PDF form). I'll have my email address watermarked on some of the pages, but sure beats you spending the $39 euros for it like I did.

Did you get the passenger seat too? And did it come with some sort of passenger peg delete bracket for the rear muffler?

I did Woodcraft rearsets, but my right heel hits the stock pipe. Gotta find an aftermarket that tucks in a bit better.
    I'd be hesitant to take it to Wagner. My buddy bought his 1290SAR there, and after the break-in brought it back for the initial oil change and to add a few PP parts. I don't know what fucking monkey "installed" the parts, but they really need a remedial course in reading 101. What they did to his bike was an abomination.

BTW did I see you in the Dublin rotary Friday afternoon?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

So, yeah. 890 Duke R is not a fun bike to get stuck in traffic on, even for 5-10 minutes. LOTS of heat on your legs.

It really is a weekend corner carver.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    So, yeah. 890 Duke R is not a fun bike to get stuck in traffic on, even for 5-10 minutes. LOTS of heat on your legs.
    What a piece of crap. I’ve got 5k to get it out of your garage and spare your toasted legs.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by MattR302 View Post
    What a piece of crap. I’ve got 5k to get it out of your garage and spare your toasted legs.
    Yeah, so the SV is demoted to commuter duty. The Duke is the fun bike now.

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    I'd be hesitant to take it to Wagner. My buddy bought his 1290SAR there, and after the break-in brought it back for the initial oil change and to add a few PP parts. I don't know what fucking monkey "installed" the parts, but they really need a remedial course in reading 101. What they did to his bike was an abomination.

BTW did I see you in the Dublin rotary Friday afternoon?
    You may have, I ran out to Harbor Freight in Keene at lunch with the middle school LL Bean backpack on.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

First oil change done. Appears I have a countershaft seal leak, and I need a splash of coolant to refill the bottle.

Got a closer look today. Apparently the inside of the front sprocket cover was coated with about 1/4" of grease. The grease was liquefying and dribbling out from behind the cover. No oil leak.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Weird. My 2018 1290 sar did the same thing. Covered the kick stand.

Quote Originally Posted by golden chicken View Post
    Got a closer look today. Apparently the inside of the front sprocket cover was coated with about 1/4" of grease. The grease was liquefying and dribbling out from behind the cover. No oil leak.
    Same thing happened to mine. The chain lube they use melts after it gets hot the first time.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650

Do yourself a favor and baseline the suspension settings by the book.

Finally took the time to do so thoroughly last night. Took it for a nice ride at lunch and was impressed at the compliance over sharp hits without feeling wallowy.

-Clayton
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2006 Suzuki SV650
    2004 Suzuki Vstrom 650

Not a KTM, but I did get to flog the new Aprilia 660 parallel twin last week. It absolutely rips. It felt faster than my R6 at times. What was interesting to me was that it is a revver. It really begged me to keep it on the boil and row through the gears. Fun ride. The chassis feels light, but steering is quite heavy.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Do yourself a favor and baseline the suspension settings by the book.

Finally took the time to do so thoroughly last night. Took it for a nice ride at lunch and was impressed at the compliance over sharp hits without feeling wallowy.
    What did you set it to, 'Sport'?

I'm at 17 clicks out front compression and 8 clicks out on front rebound. Have about 33mm total sag in the front, no gear.

16 out on rear rebound. 2 1/4 turns of rear preload gives me around 30mm total rear sag, no gear.

Haven't touched the rear compression adjusters yet. Feel pretty happy wherever it's at.