Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

KTM midsize twins

Re: KTM midsize twins

I wonder how tall that guy is? He didn't show turning it around on trail. Just said it would suck. lol. My buddy in CT has one. He also has a 300 and a 2020 500 EXC. He says its pretty amazing what he can get away with on the 790. I have a free pass to ride it as much as I want. I'm not sure I will try too much hero stuff. I did rip on the 500 and that was a mighty impressive bike. Super easy to ride, super powerful, and super quiet.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Paul_E_D

Everyone knows that the proper number of motorcycles is n+1.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2015 KTM 1290 Super Adventure
    2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

I think that dude is tall.
    There is drone footage in there and he has no problems paddling. I don’t think I’d have it as easy.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    I wonder how tall that guy is? He didn't show turning it around on trail. Just said it would suck. lol. My buddy in CT has one. He also has a 300 and a 2020 500 EXC. He says its pretty amazing what he can get away with on the 790. I have a free pass to ride it as much as I want. I'm not sure I will try too much hero stuff. I did rip on the 500 and that was a mighty impressive bike. Super easy to ride, super powerful, and super quiet.
    Allow myself to quote myself: It is astonishingly capable off-road. The only way you can gauge that you’re on a big bike is the width between the knees.
    Stock R suspension is way better than I anticipated as well.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    My days of slabbing on a DRZ400 are well behind me. Been there, done that, no thanks.

Besides. I have a plated WR450F that is all that and about 30HP.

You know its spring because I have the itch again. I'm in worse financial shape than ever (who isn't) so it ain't happenin'. But my yoootoobe suggestions sure point the other way. Further evidence that what happens on my intertoobes does not happen in real life.
    My best friend who previously owned 05/06 R6s, and now has a Boulevard m109r, just also bought a drz400 and is awaiting delivery. Dying to see what he thinks. My guess is he will think itís gutless. But he says I can ride the m109 now so... Iím good!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

There is drone footage in there and he has no problems paddling. I don’t think I’d have it as easy.
    Seat height is the same as my 1290. I’m 6’2” with boots on and it’s tall. I’m on tippy toes, though I have the seat in the tall position, which is an inch taller.

That would be the understatement of the year for me!

Paul_E_D

I think he has the optional tall seat. Could be wrong. I’ve watched a bunch of 790 vids lately (most garbage click bait) and may be confusing dudes.

Either way. It is a tall bike.

I bought a 790 Adv R January 2nd. I am only 5'9.5" tall. I find any off road capable machine too tall for me. Yet I ride them like a tightrope walker working without a net. Feet on the pegs and no dabs unless it's really warranted and then its quickly back onto the pegs. Even stopping for a traffic light requires a decision on what side do I put my foot down. Same when I had my old 350 EXC-F I had. There is no plodding along with feet down on each side. That's due to my stature and not my desire. I literally am along for the ride with a pin it to win it attitude. There is no other option other than getting off and walking aside the bike.

The 790 Adv R suspension is amazing for hard riding and that pin it to win it requirement I have with off road riding. The around town luxury plushness isn't there. That type of comfort is probably found with the soon to be released T7 or BMW type bikes. This bike is set up for bashing the hell out of it. Perfect for my riding style. My only wish was for a narrower mid section for standing. It's narrow but not enough for my legs. I hear longer pegs help so you don't feel bow legged at the knees. I do feel a bit of pressure on them when I pinch the mid section of the bike with them. It's a bit wider than I'd like. Even with the seat off I can't get my feet any lower to reach the ground. That splay of width is the issue.

I can power spin the bike around on dead end trails like an EXC. I attribute that to the low center of gravity. Same with saving the bike with a dab. The weight doesn't seem to get away from me. Yet when the front tire pushes in sand or the loose mud it can get away from you and no dab can save you.

Sometimes the high wire act fails...

KTM midsize twins-screen-shot-2020-03-31-a

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Send cash... I need a track day

Quote Originally Posted by ducatirdr View Post
    My only wish was for a narrower mid section for standing. It's narrow but not enough for my legs. I hear longer pegs help so you don't feel bow legged at the knees. I do feel a bit of pressure on them when I pinch the mid section of the bike with them. It's a bit wider than I'd like. Even with the seat off I can't get my feet any lower to reach the ground. That splay of width is the issue.

Definitely upgrade to the powerparts rally pegs. The width in the knees made it so hard to find the pegs with size 13s. Huge improvement.

I bought a 790 Adv R January 2nd. I am only 5'9.5" tall. I find any off road capable machine too tall for me. Yet I ride them like a tightrope walker working without a net. Feet on the pegs and no dabs unless it's really warranted and then its quickly back onto the pegs. Even stopping for a traffic light requires a decision on what side do I put my foot down. Same when I had my old 350 EXC-F I had. There is no plodding along with feet down on each side. That's due to my stature and not my desire. I literally am along for the ride with a pin it to win it attitude. There is no other option other than getting off and walking aside the bike.

The 790 Adv R suspension is amazing for hard riding and that pin it to win it requirement I have with off road riding. The around town luxury plushness isn't there. That type of comfort is probably found with the soon to be released T7 or BMW type bikes. This bike is set up for bashing the hell out of it. Perfect for my riding style. My only wish was for a narrower mid section for standing. It's narrow but not enough for my legs. I hear longer pegs help so you don't feel bow legged at the knees. I do feel a bit of pressure on them when I pinch the mid section of the bike with them. It's a bit wider than I'd like. Even with the seat off I can't get my feet any lower to reach the ground. That splay of width is the issue.

I can power spin the bike around on dead end trails like an EXC. I attribute that to the low center of gravity. Same with saving the bike with a dab. The weight doesn't seem to get away from me. Yet when the front tire pushes in sand or the loose mud it can get away from you and no dab can save you.

Great report. Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Paul_E_D

How's the recovery effort when things go all 90-degree out of prime; how much of a bitch is it to pick that piggie up?

One of the things that kept me from ever wanting to put more aggressive tires or go deeper into the woods on my 'strom was the weight. With my 200 recovering from a tip-over is no big deal. Encourages me to take chances I never, ever would if hell-bent on keeping it upright.

And have you had any damage?

I'd love to buy a 790 or F800GS or F650GS and treat it as badly as I've treated my 200; throwing it down attempting things that require talent I simply wasn't born with. The 200 takes it and asks for more. Wondering if they have finally made a big-bike that can take some of that abuse.

Also there is the idea that buying a $15k motorbike and then going out into the woods and smashing it seems ludicrous.

That lift in the snow was just over a week ago on the Trans Mass Trail. The bike was full on it's side and the "roll" onto its feet wasn't bad. I had less than 1/8 of a tank of gas in the thing so that's about 24 pounds less of sloshing fuel weight. The side saddle tanks are shaped in a way to help roll the bike onto the tires. There isn't a deadlift effect of flat on the side to the upright but more of a roll. This makes it even easier to get momentum going and lifting it without much strain. An excellent design for picking the bike up when it's as flat as that picture shows. Notice the wheels are in the air? Yes that is probably past 90 degrees. Yet it was drama free to get it back onto it's feet. No damage to the bike but if it was sand it probably would have scratched the plastic.

Regarding cost... I see how Chris Birch rides KTM ADV bikes and think that looks like fun. So why not try to replicate some of that fun myself. Some people spend a lot of money on rounds of golf. Membership, clubs etc... For the sport of golf. For that one unbelievable shot or round where they feel like Tiger Woods. Me I want to have that same type of moment where I get it right on a bike. Risky? Yep! But it's what floats my boat. Knee down on the track or Wheelies for 'Merica!!! Whatever... I like riding stuff like it was meant to be ridden and not keep it pristine for the next owner. Yes my injuries sometimes ache really bad. But I'm having FUN!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If you're questioning why anyone would take a $15k bike offroading, you clearly don't understand the purpose of an adventure bike. I'm not about to hop on a WR250R, slab the interstate to the top of the MABDR, ride 1000 miles of dirt roads then turn around and ride 1000 miles home. I'm glad to do that on my 1290 Super Adventure, though, and definitely would on a 790R as well.

Besides my KTM crashes pretty well. I've dumped it a handful of times and lowsided HARD once at ~25mph when the front washed out in some mud. I cracked a rib while the bike only cracked a mirror and sheared off a highway peg (which isn't even stock). The 790R looks like it crashes better yet.

2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

Quote Originally Posted by SRTie4k View Post
    If you're questioning why anyone would take a $15k bike offroading, you clearly don't understand the purpose of an adventure bike.
    You must be right.

^ It's my bike and my car tls25rs's Avatar

Saw mention of this little gem today and it spawned a web search

https://www.ktm.com/en/naked/890-duke-r/

Though I must say the 1290 Super Duke R is looking super tasty but this isn't that thread

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by tls25rs View Post
    Saw mention of this little gem today and it spawned a web search

https://www.ktm.com/en/naked/890-duke-r/

Though I must say the 1290 Super Duke R is looking super tasty but this isn't that thread
    120hp.. that should be good!

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I’m not a fan of that double cone stock exhaust can, not the pointy radiator shrouds, but that cast subframe is a styling win for me.

I’ll be over here trying to convince myself that it’s more bike than I’d ever want to ride in a sporty fashion.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I don't mind the shrouds but the exhaust is awful. Thankfully you can add this:

'02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

Yeah, akra has some tasty options at the bottom of that page.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet

And they're insanely expensive. Better off to go with a Wings; same quality, 1/2 the price.

2017 Honda CRF250L Rally

At what point does it cease to be a middleweight?

Paul_E_D

And they're insanely expensive. Better off to go with a Wings; same quality, 1/2 the price.
    Plus the Akra pipes don't have access to the bolt to pull the db killer out any longer. They caved to pressure from the EU to eliminate that feature. My recent slip-on exhaust for my 790R had the DB-killer bolt stripped with a grinder from the factory so removal was foiled by simple measures. This was an SC-Project exhaust. It required me to drill the bolt out. I hear you can do the same with the Akra pipes by drilling the tail cone rivets and then drilling the spot weld out and re-rivetting the cone back on. It's the shape of things to come I guess.

Wings all the way. Great quality, sound, looks, and half the price, and probably lighter. I couldn't believe how heavy the stock pipe is on the 1290. Almost dropped it when i was sliding it off. Probably saved 10+ lbs.

https://wings-exhausts.com/exhausts-...0-adv-r-us-ca/

KTM midsize twins-790-advr-gallery-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    At what point does it cease to be a middleweight?
    Probably about the same time "liter bikes" are 1000cc again. (Read: never)

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast