Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lane Splitting

Lane Splitting

i'm sure some of you guys do it, but has anyone gotten caught or pulled over because of it? if so, what happened and were you able to appeal it?

also, if you get a moving violation in another state like NH, does it effect your driving record (points) if your licensed in MA? thanks in advance!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "That little asian kid"
    05 600RR

Re: Lane Splitting

i lane split a LONG way when i was trying to get back to my apartment on july 3rd when they shut down storrow drive. i probably lane split for about 2 miles, and went by 2 cops that didn't pull me over. i wasn't the only bike doing it either.

2010 Kawasaki Z1000

i lane split a LONG way when i was trying to get back to my apartment on july 3rd when they shut down storrow drive. i probably lane split for about 2 miles, and went by 2 cops that didn't pull me over. i wasn't the only bike doing it either.

2010 Kawasaki Z1000

In hibernation

Some guy got bagged splitting around Exit 4 in NH yesterday actually.
    NH & MA are recipricol with each other so yes your violations will carry points to each other. Some states (VT) are not recipricol with other states. You just have to know where you are and the laws of each state

lol dan, did you get nabbed?

i got "busted" for "lane splitting" (i was taking a right on red and filtered past 5-6 stopped cars to make the turn).

i ended up not bothering appealing it since i was leaving the country. a bunch of people chimed in on here chewing my ass out for being zOMG YOU'RE SO RECKLESS... you can probably find the thread...

...adventure timeadventure time...adventure time...adventure time
    hurray, strikethrough!

In hibernation

That's a bullshit charge... I would have appealed that.

When you say lane splitting... I assume you mean riding the dotted down 93 or between the left turn only and center lane at an intersection.

(In NH at least) I believe you can go around a car if you are turning right 'Provided your vehicle doesn't leave the travelled portion of the roadway', which, honestly is officers discretion as to whether that is 'pavement' or lane markings. I've NEVER been given a hard time for that bike or cage.

Perhaps some member LEOs can chime in on this one?

Quote Originally Posted by spicy View Post
    lol dan, did you get nabbed?

i got "busted" for "lane splitting" (i was taking a right on red and filtered past 5-6 stopped cars to make the turn).

i ended up not bothering appealing it since i was leaving the country. a bunch of people chimed in on here chewing my ass out for being zOMG YOU'RE SO RECKLESS... you can probably find the thread...

I've been caught by several officers and only once been pulled over and he let me go after asking me what I was doing. Was I just keeping moving because my bike was overheating? he asked.... I said yes and he said alright them, be careful. Others just motioned me to get back in line. The most dangerous part is the cage people that somehow think it's their job to teach you a lesson for cutting line. I've had one woman try to run me down in her Volvo wagon. Scarry.

I ride a motard which makes it entirely legal for me to ride on sidewalks.

And I dont lanesplit, not because of the cops, but because of moron drivers.

Zip Tie Alley #505

Quote Originally Posted by Pookie View Post
    My favorite was you going through T2 with your eyes closed.

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    I've been caught by several officers and only once been pulled over and he let me go after asking me what I was doing. Was I just keeping moving because my bike was overheating? he asked.... I said yes and he said alright them, be careful. Others just motioned me to get back in line. The most dangerous part is the cage people that somehow think it's their job to teach you a lesson for cutting line. I've had one woman try to run me down in her Volvo wagon. Scarry.
    That is a scary predicament to be in, I don't understand why people care so much, it's one less person between them and their destination. I personally haven't done it much just because I don't sit in too much traffic on the bike. However when I see other bikes coming up on me doing it (when I'm in the cage) I try to move over a bit and give them a little extra room.

Development Rider scottieducati's Avatar

I got busted filtering up at on Nonatum Road once, you know, the part heading into the city just before you hit the rotary which is nothing but a lane-changing shit-fest of people trying to cut in front of each other. I tried explaining how this maneuver was for my own safety to the LEO, who wouldn't have any of it. So I asked if he rode bikes, he said no, and all was clear.. I'm pretty sure the couple wise-ass cracks I made after that inquiry didn't help my cause much.

CCS/LRRS #83

Hypertarded

Malaysia is where you want to be for lane splitting, here's a vid a guy on the Ducati forum put up last week of his commute to work testing a new camera on his Hypermotard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LttS57OiCMg

I've done it many of times and never got bagged. Although splitting a lane at 160 is not reccommended..

If all else fails, Lean more....http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/brendanp/brendanp_sig.jpg

I do it all the time. No way I'm sitting there in traffic waiting to get run down. If you are doing it at a reasonable speed or in grid lock I don't see what the problem is. Provided you aren't taking any vigilante mirrors off..........

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Oh, and no, I haven't been nabbed for it. If I did, my bike is overheating, Sir.

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post
    Malaysia is where you want to be for lane splitting, here's a vid a guy on the Ducati forum put up last week of his commute to work testing a new camera on his Hypermotard

This guy is nuts!

Got a ticket in the cage once in the BD lane, never tried on the MC but if the bike was over heating i would do it and go slow to keep the bike moving. and use this as my defence if i got a ticket.

I never lane split

cause the roads I ride on there is never any traffic to lane split with

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

I Dance With Will

Quote Originally Posted by FriskyDingo View Post

now that's where i want to be.

"fuckit!"

I've done it a few times, been motioned to get back in line a few times but never a ticket. Headed up to VT this past Friday, 91N goes down to 1 lane for bridge work before Brattleboro and it was backed up with the holiday traffic, I split for a .5 mile or so. Always get a few dirty looks but so far no ones tried to be a hero and take me out yet. I go slow and only do it when traffic is at a dead stop.

i only lane split with completely stopped traffic.

2010 Kawasaki Z1000

I never split lanes in New England. Now that I live in Cali, it cuts my commute in half. Motorcycles are allowed to use the carpool lane and split lanes in traffic. The only problem is that there are those bump things on the lines and they can be a bit sketchy to ride over at first.

I was discussing with someone why its legal here and not in New England and the only thing I can think of is in SoCal, it gets really hot and air cooled bikes need to keep moving or they will overheat. Also, in New England, a majority of bikes are only on the road 4 or 5 months a year. Drivers just aren't used to seeing them or looking for them year round like they are here.

Its kind of nice to pull up to a stoplight and have people move out of the way for you

Original

At least now when I stop a lane splitter and he tells me his bike is overheating I know he's full of it...

thanks!!!

Seriously though...

I don't see much of it... but would take all matters into consideration on whether I made the stop or not...

I personally, even as a motorcyclist for almost 20 years, don't agree with the practice since, like someone already said, people aren't looking for us to begin with... definately not coming up along side of them at a stop light etc...

I see more cages making quick unsafe moves around other cars at stop lights etc. that I wouldn't dare think I'd be safe riding along side of them..

In hibernation

Call me a squid all you want, but aside from the "I'm turning right at the light a half block up" I would never split, and honestly Im totally shocked its legal in Cali!!!.

I imagine myself in my cage and how off guard seeing a bike rip past my door in traffic with less than 2 feet between me and the car in the next lane - totally unexpected - That just seems like the most foolish and unsafe move (IMO)

Quote Originally Posted by VinceF2 View Post
    I personally, even as a motorcyclist for almost 20 years, don't agree with the practice since, like someone already said, people aren't looking for us to begin with... definately not coming up along side of them at a stop light etc...

I see more cages making quick unsafe moves around other cars at stop lights etc. that I wouldn't dare think I'd be safe riding along side of them..

Never split lanes before, probably because there are only 5 double lane roads in the entire state of VT. Plus I don't need to split when we can legally pass anywhere safely.

2023 KTM 890 Adventure R

Quote Originally Posted by FlynGSXR1k View Post
    Call me a squid all you want, but aside from the "I'm turning right at the light a half block up" I would never split, and honestly Im totally shocked its legal in Cali!!!.
    Actually, isn't it legal and widely practiced everywhere else in the world, outside of the US (excluding Cali) and Canada?

IMO, filtering should definitely be legal in all fifty states, and lane-splitting by the most widespread CA-legal definition (no more than 35 MPH, no more than 10 MPH differential to traffic) should also be. It just makes sense, takes that many more vehicles out of the traffic jam, and avoids making motorcyclists sitting ducks for rear-end collisions (which, despite being uncommon, are still an issue). I don't make a habit of lane-splitting--I am very rarely in traffic that would call for it--but I am quite willing to filter around stopped traffic to make a turn.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast