Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lane Splitting

Lane Splitting

Anyone on the board use this practice? If so, when is it ok, and at what speed does traffic have to be down to to tempt you to do it? I almost smashed some kid this morning on 495s while traffic was at a steady 65 mph. He must have been doing at least 80 when he passed through me and another car.

Personally, the kid this morning is a moron, and if he got hit, I'd tell him he was an idiot after calling 911. I think lane splitting at extremely low speeds is no big deal, but know your risks, in this state it's illegal for instance, and if you hit my car while I'm caging, I'm going after you for damages.

Your two cents?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Bopida Beepoo

Lifer

Re: Lane Splitting

I thought lane splitting was not legal in this state unless you are emergency personnel..

Last edited by sveesix; 05-18-10 at 02:15 PM.

It's legal here in Cali, and thank effing god....its an eternal parking lot here. I'm still not used to it though, I often sit at lights and don't think to do it until I watch someone else zip by me

as for your story 1) its not legal in MA 2) why lane split if traffic is moving steady at 65? 3) he's probably a dbag.

USCRA #555 - Formula CB
    http://jro555.tumblr.com/

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-ST7377/1.59.502.3 (67150) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

I do it on storrow and 93 when traffic is absolutly not moving, and when it does i merge in as polite as possible. Keep your eyes out for the fuzz though.

Lifer

OP did say it's illegal, he just said.. in what instance would you do it?

I personally won't do it on the big highways because there are cops out there... it makes me more furious to see cagers go down the breakdown lane like they are some sort of royalty. About once a month I see the lights go on and it puts a shiteating grin on my face for the next few weeks.

However, in local traffic when there's a turn I'm trying to get to, if there's space on the side I always go by to make my right turn.. but still there's a limit to how far I'll do it.

I've done it to a mexican road block at speed. I'm also a d-bag though.

-Alex
    I can resist everything but Pete's mom.

Quote Originally Posted by WordTooYoMamma View Post
    Wirelessly posted (Tilt: HTC-ST7377/1.59.502.3 (67150) Opera/9.50 (Windows NT 5.1; U; en))

Keep your eyes out for the fuzz though.
    If you do encounter law enforcement, remember these words from the all knowing Raoul Duke:

"Few people understand the psychology of dealing with a highway traffic cop. A normal speeder will panic and immediately pull over to the side. This is wrong. It arouses contempt in the cop heart. Make the bastard chase you. He will follow. But he won't know what to make of your blinker signal that says you are about to turn right. This is to let him know you're pulling off for a proper place to talk. It will take him a moment to realize that he's about to make a 180 degree turn at speed, but you will be ready for it. Brace for the g's, and fast heel-toe work. "

Lane splitting is OK as long as it is safer than trying to slow down for the traffic you are encountering.

Example: Two cars side by side at 55mph, bike moving at 175mph... split em.

LRRS #951
    My girlfriend wants to be like me when she grows up.

Quote Originally Posted by Pittenger5 View Post
    Sometimes violence IS the answer. The answer every other time is busa.

I will split at stopped traffic only up to the light if any of the cage drivers in front of me seem erratic or pre-occupied.
    It's safer to get a ticket than to have some moron in a cage go left from the right lane without a signal or to drift lanes while texting.

Quote Originally Posted by Priv View Post
    Anyone on the board use this practice? If so, when is it ok, and at what speed does traffic have to be down to to tempt you to do it? I almost smashed some kid this morning on 495s while traffic was at a steady 65 mph. He must have been doing at least 80 when he passed through me and another car.

Personally, the kid this morning is a moron, and if he got hit, I'd tell him he was an idiot after calling 911. I think lane splitting at extremely low speeds is no big deal, but know your risks, in this state it's illegal for instance, and if you hit my car while I'm caging, I'm going after you for damages.

Your two cents?
    And who are you and what have you done to the bitch constantly prodding the driver of any vehicle she was in to punch it regardless or road conditions or safety?

LRRS #951

I split every chance i get, but i shall not divulge my reasons, how i do it, or when i do it... but lets just say there was a time where i could have been that dbag...

Silver Bullet Commuter fjrrider RI's Avatar

Lane splitting is not legal in RI. Cutting around lines of traffic on ramps at lights and anywhere there is more room and nebulus lines would be fare game in my book. During the flood they allowed break down lane travel legal for a day was fun.

Yamaha lover

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

i do when traffic is stopped. then when traffic reaches 10mph i duck back in. 996cc vtwin with side rads... doesn't like to sit still.

I do it until traffic is moving above 35ish. Why sit and wait and contribute to traffic?

LRRS 878 Clapped out Gixxah

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Fingered Man View Post
    And who are you and what have you done to the bitch constantly prodding the driver of any vehicle she was in to punch it regardless or road conditions or safety?
    haha, just ask obsolete how I feel about super fast driving at this point in my life..... back then, I was a little more reckless with the vast majority of the decisions I made

Bopida Beepoo

North Reading (also known as the North Pole)

I used to do it when I first started riding. I wont do it anymore. It just infuriates me to see people do it just because they can in instances that really dont benefit them and the put themeselves in danger.

2006 Ducati Monster S2R800

Quote Originally Posted by DuncanMoto View Post
    I will split at stopped traffic only up to the light if any of the cage drivers in front of me seem erratic or pre-occupied.
    It's safer to get a ticket than to have some moron in a cage go left from the right lane without a signal or to drift lanes while texting.
    I'm glad to see the vast majority here use their noggin before the decision is made, I don't care if people do it, just with smarts

Bopida Beepoo

Its legal in CA, but a combination of Asian women who drive like idiots and Mexicans without insurance who will hit and run causes me to REALLY think about it before I do it.

Original

Quote Originally Posted by -jro- View Post
    It's legal here in Cali, .

not really, it's a gray area in Cali. law at the discression of the leo

http://forum.svrider.com/showthread.php?t=120254

rather than "legal" it's what CHP says is "permissable"

Can motorcycle riders "split" lanes and ride between other vehicles?
    Lane splitting by motorcycles is permissible but must be done in a safe and prudent manner.

http://www.chp.ca.gov/html/answers.html

Last edited by RandyO; 05-18-10 at 03:56 PM.
    RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Quote Originally Posted by BostonSVkid View Post
    I used to do it when I first started riding. I wont do it anymore. It just infuriates me to see people do it just because they can in instances that really dont benefit them and the put themeselves in danger.
    Why does everyone care when someone else puts themselves in danger? I understand if your issues is the saftey of other drivers, trafic caused by scraping a squid off the highway, loss of $$ to the state having to respond to incidents. All valid reasons to be upset.

But to be upset they put themselves in danger?? WTF, we should all have the right to be in as much danger as we want at any given point, assuming that it is not putting anyone else in danger.

LRRS #951

I only split lanes when I see Asian ladies driving white minivans.

Quote Originally Posted by 6 Fingered Man View Post
    Why does everyone care when someone else puts themselves in danger? I understand if your issues is the saftey of other drivers, trafic caused by scraping a squid off the highway, loss of $$ to the state having to respond to incidents. All valid reasons to be upset.

But to be upset they put themselves in danger?? WTF, we should all have the right to be in as much danger as we want at any given point, assuming that it is not putting anyone else in danger.
    Welcome to the pussification of America.

Support the Troops! (Except for Mondo, that guy's a dick)
    -----------------------------------------------------

never really encountered too much traffic with my bike to really consider splitting lanes. but when im in my car, i dont sit in traffic. i will go right in the brake down lane and go for it. especially during beach traffic. the way i figure it is, if there is beach traffic, the police will know and will avoid that area at all costs.

so when beach traffic comes and im on my bike, i will be sure to split lanes with a giant smile.
    p.s. i hate beach traffic... i cant even pull out of my road during the summer.

Hawk Is Respectable Now WordTooYoMamma's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bergs
    I only split lanes when I see Asian ladies driving white minivans.
    coulda saved my foot by using your methods...

I have lane split before on the highway in bumper to bumper traffic in CT and NY. Never in Vermont because that traffic doesnt happen usually..

I did split off an highway off ramp on 89 last year.. I pulled ahead of like 10 cars so my bike wouldnt be hung out to dry on the other side of the blind turn for a car to hit. Traffic started moving again and I tried to pull in front of this 30something year old guy in a subaru and he pulled up so i couldnt get in and called me an asshole. So then I just said f* it and pulled ahead of EVERYONE and was the last one to make the light while they all waited. In vermont stuff like that is a huge deal.. omg he didnt wait in line with us!.. in other states/cities it would be normal.

I don't recommend lane splitting for new riders, or if can't control your bike at walking speed if needed.

Last edited by HIGHONSTRESS; 05-18-10 at 04:50 PM.
    02 Ninja 250 (sold), K8-SV650S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast