Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Techron advice

Techron advice

Ok, so Ive read some postings here and elsewhere about using Chevrons Techron fuel system cleaner, so I thought Id give it a try. My bike is a 97 ZX900R Ninja, well maintained, etc. The fuel tank capacity is 5.3 gallons, including reserve, I assume. The Techron bottle is 12 oz. The label says to use a whole bottle for every 12 gals. (car specs only, no info for bike usage). So, using my less than stellar math skills, that comes out to 1 oz per gallon. I put in about half the bottle (or so) in a topped-out tank. Thats about the right ratio, give or take. I proceed to ride around for about 20-30 minutes, enough time for it to work its way through the fuel system. I didnt notice, nor expect, some huge performance kick.....maybe it takes time, or my system isnt all that messed up to begin with. Plus, a bike will always run with more "oomph" in cold air like today (40's). So, has anyone here used this product, and what are your observations? Will I need to use it over a longer period of time for any marked improvement, or will it just work in the background, keeping the system, carbs, valves, etc. in better shape? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Lifer

Techron advice

My experience has been that most of the fuel system cleaners don't make any noticable difference on an otherwise maintained engine. You definately wouldn't notice the difference while riding around with it in the tank because it is supposed to be a cleaning agent, and not a performance adder. I would still reccomend using the cleaner a few times a year, because it does help keep the gunk from building up.

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Techron advice

I like my snake oil straight.

It probably is an injector cleaner. If you had 50 k you may have noticed a difference from better atomization.

Try Marvel Mystery oil no mor omph but noticably smoother and quiter

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Just Registered

Techron advice

On a bike...I dunno?

On my 99 Accord V6 I ran it about 60k and noticed a mild increase in mileage per tank. Ran it about every 20k after that as well or when the mpg's were sliding. But overall we're talking ~25-30miles more per tank.

On my 93 Ranger I run it 1x a year and it just seems to "help" it run a bit smoother. But this vehicle does alot of sitting as it's not my primary driver. So some other chemical in it is probably helping countereffect the stale fuel I have in it?

My 2 vices, not necessarily in order:
    www.gpsdiscussion.com
    motorcycleaddicts.org

Re: Techron advice

Originally posted by greenmonster
    97 ZX900R Ninja, well maintained, etc.
    If you are using fuel injector cleaner right, you shouldn't notice a difference because you are using cleaner regularly.

I have never used anything in a bike, but I did over 100k in my last car with regular Berryman's B12 Chemtool treatments, and never had a single fuel system problem. In my cars I use 3x concentration for the 1st ~100 miles then 1x concentration for remainder of 2 fuel tanks.

I plan on using this in the bike this spring.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Techron advice

Originally posted by richw

Try Marvel Mystery oil no mor omph but noticably smoother and quiter
    I've also used this as well with good results...

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Re: carbs? Techron advice

wAIT A MINUTE. (caps lock)
    Techron is probably on of the best Fuel injector cleaners out there......

You have carbs' RIGHT?
    not the correct product IMHO, sure it'll help, but the carb guys should have the answer for you.

I'd use Carb cleaner from the can for mine, unless Honda says there covered in Sum-unobtainium-specialty-sheer-luvGREASE...
    -Suf Daddy

Originally posted by greenmonster
    Ok, so Ive read some postings here and elsewhere about using Chevrons Techron fuel system cleaner, so I thought Id give it a try. My bike is a 97 ZX900R Ninja,
    <<<snip>>>
    or will it just work in the background, keeping the system, carbs, valves, etc. in better shape? Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!!

Suf Daddy.

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Techron advice

The reason to use techron is to get rid of deposits on your intake valves. You will not notice any sudden improvements in performance as it'll take a tankful or two to fully clean the valves. Even then, I'm not sure you'll feel a big difference but after seeing 7500 miles worth of deposits first hand, I can imagine the deposits would be pretty bad for WOT HP numbers. The deposits get shockingly grotesque in a short time.

I don't know about other products but I am 100% certain that Techron works. I have seen the valves without running techron and with and the difference is startling.

Techron also works well to eliminate combustion chamber deposits that cause run on and pinging. I used it in my old boat engine and the run on problem went away immediately.

I have no affiliation with Chevron, just a happy customer.

Techron advice

Thanks for all the input, folks!! Yeah, mine has carbs...the label says it good for valve and combustion chamber deposit removal, etc. Should I also use a carb cleaner in the spray can right down the open carbs while running the engine? I dont think theres any real problem, just that the bike is a 97, and over that time, theres bound to be build-up of one sort or another...

Lifer

Techron advice

Spraying carb cleaner through the venturi won't clean the carbs completely. The best way would be to take the jets out of the carbs and have them cleaned. Next would be an in tank carb cleaner through a few tanks of gas. Hope this helps..

SSearchVT

For every action there is an equal but opposite reaction - and sometimes a scar...

Techron advice

I've heard that you should change your oil after using Techron type cleaners.

Supposedly, Techron deposits get pushed past the rings and into your oil. The chemicals in the Techron are abrasive - that's how it works.

Could be BS.

BMW R1200GS

Techron advice

When I was in the Concours Owners Group, a ton of guys there loved Techron.

It was used to clean the valves of deposits and to keep the combustion chamber squeaky clean.

They ALWAYS said to change the oil after you ran it througfh the tank, as the stuff would break down motor oil.

Nothing but praise, and a cheap maintenance item.

Putting his hands in the air, like he just doesn't care.
    Check out my eBay store!
    Dave - Motorace - Michelin

Techron advice

I bet a good time to do this would be after bringing bike out from the winter but before doing the spring oil change? (presuming you change your oil in the spring, which I am doing)

Originally posted by Karaya One

It was used to clean the valves of deposits and to keep the combustion chamber squeaky clean.

They ALWAYS said to change the oil after you ran it througfh the tank, as the stuff would break down motor oil.

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Techron advice

Thanks for the in put about changing the oil!!! I ride through the winter, use Sta-Bil in the gas, and change the oil every 3K...So, I guess should I wait til this tankful with the Techron is used up, then change the oil!! Then, how often would anyone recommend using it in the future? Before each oil change? That would make sense, if you need to change the oil following every tankful containing the Techron....Once each riding season?

Techron advice

If you ride throughout the winter why do you use Sta-Bil? Sta-Bil is a long term stablizer if your going to store the bike

You suck at life. Why don't you quit?

My dad told me I could be anything I wanted when I grew up. So I became an Asshole.

Techron advice

Originally posted by dhuze
    If you ride throughout the winter why do you use Sta-Bil? Sta-Bil is a long term stablizer if your going to store the bike
    Maybe he doesn't burn enough gas to cycle through a tank every 6-8 wks? the "new" gas turns to shit very quickly. Don't ask me how I learned this, but it was expensive...!

Andrew
    03 Suzuki SV650

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Techron advice

Originally posted by Karaya One

You were a COG member? Cool. I still am. #4633 Still have a Conk?

I don't change the oil right after using Techron. It contains no abrasives and even if a tiny amount did leak by the rings (it's already dilluted 128:1 in gasoline), it's nearly as volatile a solvent as gasoline and will just boil off when the oil heats up. The Techron instructions say nothing about an oil change being required. I would not bother.

Techron advice

Originally posted by babo
    I've heard that you should change your oil after using Techron type cleaners.

Supposedly, Techron deposits get pushed past the rings and into your oil. The chemicals in the Techron are abrasive - that's how it works.

Could be BS.
    I don't believe the chemicals are actually abrasive, the they just contaminate the oil and make it break down so that it can't retain it's viscosity and lubricating qualities.

If you really want the innards of your engine to be shiney, squeeze a tube of valve lapping compound into the oil

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Techron advice

Originally posted by ancosta
    Maybe he doesn't burn enough gas to cycle through a tank every 6-8 wks? the "new" gas turns to shit very quickly. Don't ask me how I learned this, but it was expensive...!
    I use Sta-Bil in my tank during the winter months like ancosta says...it can be weeks between rides, and I want to keep the gas as fresh as possible...it doesnt seem to do any harm...Ive been doing it this way for years. I used to winterize and store, but there were always those days when it was good enuff weather to ride. I keep it garaged, and the tires on a closed-cell type of foam sheeting to keep tire rot at bay.

Techron advice

I use stabil in my cage, in the summer

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON