Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

learning

learning

ok, I probably wont be riding on a bike of my own for about a year sadly, but I want to figure out the best way to learn. I have heard about the msf courses, and that they were a good way to go. Does RI allow you to take one of those courses and then all you have to do is do a written test? I know some other states do. Where can you take msf courses in RI? I've decided that I am either going to get a ninja500r, or a suzuki gs500e, so I've been just reading about them and looking up used ones lately. Its going to take me a while to finally get on the road though, since I want to get a helmet, jacket and pants before I start riding, which isn't the way that most people go when they start but I want to do it right. It will also make some of the people that are close to me a little more at ease while I start out. If there are other courses that might be better or something let me know, thanks

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    1995 VW golf sport
    Need to learn to ride and a bike- suzuki gs500e or sv650?

learning

In RI, you will take the MSF course before you even get a learners permit, it's mandatory. Go to CCRI, that's where the MSF course and class is held.

Yamaha

learning

ccri warwick? I go there right now, sadly, just for the semester though, changed majors and moved home from vermont, fuck that cold weather shit will be at uri next year

1995 VW golf sport

learning

In N.H. I went to the DMV, got a pamplet, called the phone #, they sent me a packet, filled out the form, enclosed a check, got my conformation, took the course, aced the course, next day went to DMV, asked for motorcycle lic. guy said "We're not doing that test today", showed card, guy said " Oh! $55 please, Click, Thank you have a nice day!", went out to GS500e (which ISN'T for sale, don't even ask), 7 years and 40k later, now have 2 bikes and don't have to be asked twice if I wanna go...Very simmple verry easy! Glad to see you are doing this the correct way! We don't need any more squids on the road. Is that Kawi full fairinged?? If so, that's a lot of plastic...

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

learning

One more thing, I am leaning towards the gs500 right now, becuase it is supposed to be more reliable, less complicated, and overall a little better of a bike. would it be stupid to start on a 600cc? I've seen some nice ones, but they are a little more expensive. I should think that the 500cc bike should be just fine for me for quite a while, and I keep seeing gs500's in great condition for less than I thought i would have to pay, which is good because it means less saving up to get on the road.

1995 VW golf sport

learning

Go with the 500, get your chops on that. Plastic costs way too much on these sport bikes, these days..But that's why we have PLASTICWELD!!!!
    Seriously, the 500 will do well on the highway, and in the twisties, and like you said you can't beat the price! Going to the "Learn to Collide" Ah, I mean learn to ride school, is the way to go. I didn't know that in Mass, you need it to get a license now, but the problem I see, is that these motorcycle shops will sell anything to a beginner...I met this kid (Squid) last weekend on an R1, 1st time on the road, wearing shorts, sneakers and a tanktop. I asked him if he knew what counter steering was...Do I have to tell you what he said? LOL! DUH! I told him he's just another statistic, and he better start wearing some armor, and learn the dynamics of a single track vehicle...He looked at me like I had 2 heads...DO I??? Don't answer that!

Too old to rock and roll, too young to die.

learning

When you get into the 600 class those are mostly "repli-racers" full fairing and a not real comfy seating postion. The GS500 is a "standard" motorcycle. Sit-up, pegs under knees, tight turning circle and narrow.

Chris J.
    "You're going the wrong way!!!"
    "How does he know where we're going?"
    03 Aprilia Tuono, 06 Yamaha R6, 16 Yamaha XSR900, 13 VW Touareg

learning

*grumble*
    i still say you should get an SV...

-t

The only "intuitive" interface is the nipple.

learning

what would be the advantage of getting a sv650? compared to say a gs500? also, does the aircooled factor of the gs500 make it better or worse? I heard things about overheating and such, but I want to know for sure.
    thanks

1995 VW golf sport

learning

no advantage, that leaves you needing to buy a lot of shiny chrome so you can get it to go fast.

Brent LRRS #772
    2006 KTM 560 SMR

learning

"what would be the advantage of getting a sv650? compared to say a gs500? also, does the aircooled factor of the gs500 make it better or worse? I heard things about overheating and such, but I want to know for sure."

Not that I'm partial to SV's the SV is quite a bit more powerful than a GS500, not as strong as an inline4 600 on top, but more powerful at low end.

the SV will also hold its resale better than a GS500, as they are much more popular, liquid cooling is something to consider too, liquid motors stay in tune better.

the SV is also a bike, no matter how experenced you get will always have the potential to make you smile.

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

learning

Nobody mentioned the YZF600R. My Thundercat gets no respect.

learning

Hey I have respect for ya... I used to LOVE that cartoon... Liono is the cat!!!

99 R1 with BRR front among other things
    01 WR426

learning

(in my best Adam Sandler voice) ha ha ha SHUT UP!!

learning

i call the SV my "first and a half" bike... when i was in college, my mom had a nighthawk 250 that i'd ride whenever i was home. learned a lot, got comfy with the idea of riding, but the SV is 'my' first bike. before i got it in march, i hadn't been riding (other than a refresher MSF course last fall) in several years.

i find it to be *very* forgiving... it's light and well-balanced, so i feel in control at slow speeds, but it's rock solid when i open the throttle a little more. the other great thing about it is the *broad* powerband. i twist the wrist just a little at any RPM, and she responds. turns like a dream, too.

i love this bike... and expect to have it for many, many years.
    -t

Lifer

learning

I love my SV too, and agree with what TW just said... Mine is definitely my first bike, I had maybe 30 miles on my dad's cruiser and a couple of dirt bike sessions, that's it.

It is a really fun bike. I haven't rode the GS500 but the SV probably has a smoother powerband. I actually like the softer suspension, because it reminds you when you're not riding correctly. Get on the gas early in a turn and it feels great, do anything wrong and it won't hide your mistake, but won't slide or lose traction or anything. I would think the GS500 suspension is probably similar though.

Only thing is the clutch is pretty tricky for a small(er) bike. It's downright nasty compared to my dad's crusier (which is an 1100), or to the 250s in the MSF course, or compared to the dirtbikes I rode. Compared to everything else I've tried the SV takes more coordination and care with the clutch at really low speeds.

Oh and the rear brake... not really a big deal but you need to adjust to it. The SV locks up the rear easily if you're not paying attention...

Ben

[Edited on 4/23/02 by benSV]

learning

Oh and the rear brake... not really a big deal but you need to adjust to it. The SV locks up the rear easily if you're not paying attention...
    i can attest! :o
    the only other gotcha i can think of is the strong engine braking in 3rd & lower. i wasn't expecting it at first, but it's getting hard to imagine riding without it now.

-t

learning

My brother-in-law had a 01 Sv650s and loved it, i rode it a couple times and would recomend it for any beguiner, but its also a bike that you dont outgrow for a while if ever.

nada
    confusius says " gardrails can hurt like a motherfucker "

learning

Ok, so if you want a ugly but otherwise good bike go for a SV. Now, if you want a good looking starter bike that you're not going to outgrow too fast, one whos brakes you don't have to adjust so that they wont lock up and yet have excellent stoping ability that is derrived streight from the likes of the R6 and the R1, one that has excellent handling and is very forgiving go for the YZF600R. I'm sorry but someone had to point this out.

Bikeless Prick

learning

Now, if you want a good looking starter bike that you're not going to outgrow too fast...go for the YZF600R
    I agree, the YZF is great for those riders who are less than 5'2" and weigh under 115lbs... Anyone over that size and the impressive 35hp YZF is just not enough. Also comes in pretty colors!

Rich

learning

I am 5'10 and a half and weigh about 165-170. Anyone happen to know the cost of the msf course at ccri?
    thanks again

1995 VW golf sport

learning

I agree, the YZF is great for those riders who are less than 5'2" and weigh under 115lbs... Anyone over that size and the impressive 35hp YZF is just not enough. Also comes in pretty colors! [/quote]Actually, its more like 94.6hp. I'm 6' and weigh 230lb and its perfect. And you're right, it does come in pretty clors

Bikeless Prick

learning

Dood... you're 6' and 230? You must still be going through your "growth spurt"... when I met cha, you looked more like 5'6" and 125lbs.... bwaa

Rich

Bikeless Prick

learning

Disregard all prior posts AMan... I was thinkin' you was someone else... whose nom de guerre also starts with an "A"... sorry dude!

Ifn' you're really 6' 230lbs I'm definately not gonna fuck wid ya.

Rich

learning

Why are you trying to discredit my bike man? You have never meat me. Oh, nevermind. I think I know your problem. Get off the crack pipe man. I think that you delusions are getting worse.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast