Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Learning with each ride!

Learning with each ride!

Each ride I've taken since I purchased my bike last week has been a learning experience. I've become more comfortable each time. I had a couple moments where I target fixated and almost ran off the road, but thankfully was able to correct and avoid disaster. I just keep telling myself to look where I want to go to avoid future issues. I've become more comfortable with curves, especially the "long/sweeping" ones and able to carry more speed into/through them with a bit of lean to the bike. I went on a few busy 4 lane roads, but not a divided highway yet. Figuring I need to get more comfortable with my skills and the bike first so I can better adapt to the "winds" on the highway from other cars/trucks. Loving every minute of this motorcycle thing!

8 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 Ninja 650

Dictionary quoting knob stoinkythepig's Avatar

Re: Learning with each ride!

That's great.

A thought for beginners: Don't get over-confident just because you are comfortable on a particular road and know what's around the bend; there might be a deer around the bend... Ride roads like you've never been on them before.

On the highway, resist the urge to tighten up on the controls. Let the wind move the bike around, it's inherently more stable the faster you go, so don't sweat a little wiggle. Same goes for grooved pavement and steel bridge decks. They make the bike wiggle all over the place, but it wants to stay upright and will.

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

I remember the first time on the highway...I about shit myself and had to get off right away. I went exactly 1 exit and panic had its grip on me. Seems totally idiotic now, but I remeber the intense fear that first time on the highway. It didnt last long, I felt better after a few hundre more miles under my belt.

Keep going, but make slow forward steps. Seeing you post with obvious happiness and excitement puts a smile on my face.

Youre doing the right thing by looking way ahead of yourself. This technique is even more vital as speed increases.

Big thumbs up to you!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Congrats - I think most of us can remember the feeling of just starting out.

The next 6 months will have the steepest learning curve - and the most risk.

Hopefully you have done some sort of training course - and plan to take more?

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Tony
    Trackdays in CT, NY, and NH
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Pirelli Track Tires - www.goMTAG.com

It sounds like you have the right attitude. I'd find a big (and clean) parking lot and practice cornering there. Always keep some power to the rear wheel. You'll find yourself really confident with cornering in a short period of time. Keep having fun!

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Great to hear. I'd like to introduce my girl to riding soon. Any tips that would help her?

LRRS EX 151 AMSOIL

JCBernier -- You-tube

^ buy her a bike!

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Sounds like you are taking all the right steps. Keep it up and have fun!

Don't forget about the outside inside outside path of travel for cornering!

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

Quote Originally Posted by csmutty View Post
    Don't forget about the outside inside outside path of travel for cornering!
    Unlike the track however, oncoming traffic will govern when - and to what degree - you can do this. Personally, I never crowded the centerline on entry and exit unless the road was clear.

If there is a car in the other lane, I always assume they are going to cross (or at least, crowd) the centerline.

All too often when I'm in my car these days I will see bikes riding such that their bars are on the centerline. This is a dangerous game to play and eventually you'll come across the driver not paying attention and you will lose.

Having said that, you must also learn how to "own your lane". I would often ride near the centerline as I approach oncoming traffic, but as we got really close I would drift back to the middle or even the right - giving myself as big a cushion as possible for when the other guy does something stupid.

This is the same thing you should do when passing a vehicle in your own lane (whether it's a UPS truck pulled over, or a car sitting on the side of the road, or whatever). Prepare yourself that either someone or something will walk out from the front of the vehicle - or that the vehicle itself will suddenly pull a U-Turn or pull out unexpectedly.

If no one is coming at you in the other lane - don't be afraid to move into it as you pass the vehicle - giving yourself more space to react.

(all of these techniques helped me stay accident free on the street - and turned what could have been ugly crashes - or at least very close calls - into non-issues)

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

Quote Originally Posted by TTD View Post
    Unlike the track however, oncoming traffic will govern when - and to what degree - you can do this. Personally, I never crowded the centerline on entry and exit unless the road was clear.

If there is a car in the other lane, I always assume they are going to cross (or at least, crowd) the centerline.

All too often when I'm in my car these days I will see bikes riding such that their bars are on the centerline. This is a dangerous game to play and eventually you'll come across the driver not paying attention and you will lose.

Having said that, you must also learn how to "own your lane". I would often ride near the centerline as I approach oncoming traffic, but as we got really close I would drift back to the middle or even the right - giving myself as big a cushion as possible for when the other guy does something stupid.

This is the same thing you should do when passing a vehicle in your own lane (whether it's a UPS truck pulled over, or a car sitting on the side of the road, or whatever). Prepare yourself that either someone or something will walk out from the front of the vehicle - or that the vehicle itself will suddenly pull a U-Turn or pull out unexpectedly.

If no one is coming at you in the other lane - don't be afraid to move into it as you pass the vehicle - giving yourself more space to react.

(all of these techniques helped me stay accident free on the street - and turned what could have been ugly crashes - or at least very close calls - into non-issues)
    The way I see it using the outside inside outside path allows for a greater room for instances like that. If a car is going over the line you have room to press slightly towards the outside to change your line to avoid the vehicle. Plus it will allow you a better line of sight to see said vehicle earlier.

-Christian LRRS/CCS HasBeen ECK Racing
    2011 Pit Bike Race CHAMPION!

I think he was just clarifying that by 'outside inside outside', you don't neccessarily mean put the tires line to line to line...rather that it's a conceptual approach and each corner or circumstance will dictate how you actually apply the concept.

What's the difference between a bolt and a screw?
    First you screw, then you bolt.

Yeah, my points were two-fold.

1 is to not crowd the centerline on entry or exit if there is oncoming traffic. Even though they are "supposed" to stay on their side of the road - it doesn't always happen.

2 - is to not set your speed for an Out-In-Out line assuming that you will have room for the OUT on the exit.

Certainly, if you can see your exit point, then you are all set.

Think of Turn 2 at Loudon. We all go in there pretty hot even though it is blind - because we are assuming we can accelerate out and drift to the wall unless the cornerworker is telling us differently.

If that was a corner on the street - with no corner worker - then you could set up for the proper line (assuming no oncoming traffic), but you cannot use the same entry speed until you can actually see your exit.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

What John said... Congrats

Better a Racer for a moment then a spectator your whole life!

Posted by Jane in BoxChat
    Jaynnus - I can't regret what I don't remember

Originally Posted by gmdboston
    Guys, its Maine. The waitresses have more tits, than teeth......

KIST (keep it simple tony) Outside inside outside line within your lane adjusting for traffic and road conditions.

Paul_E_D

I've been riding street since about 2003...and I'm still learning things with every ride!

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Stay off the highways for a while. Since you just started, it's better for you to get comfortable riding the regular roads. Learn all the back routes to and from your work. Not only is that going to get you out of highway traffic, but you will be able to see plenty of beautiful views on your way that you may not have seen when you drove a car. Just make sure to allocate enough time on your trips depending on where you go, and don't be afraid to explore. That's what me and my boyfriend do - we try alternate routes going in the same direction without relying on a map, and just use compass directions. You may be surprised by all the connections you make when doing so.

Also, practice your tight turns. Use a parking lot to make doughnuts and figure eights. That will teach you balance at slower speeds. Your back brake will be your best friend since it's not as powered as the front, and will allow you to shave corners. The above will teach you that as well, since regular roads aren't straight like highways. Do that enough until you can turn at least within 3 parking spaces.

Once you do get on the highway, don't be surprised if you get pushed around by the wind. I am smaller and lighter than my boyfriend, and a lot of times feel like a reed in the wind. Just make sure to account for that and move accordingly. And always, always looks where you're going. Especially in turns. Target fixation can be pretty dangerous, like it was showed by an rnickeymouse video on Youtube, at Mulholland Hwy.

Other than that, just have fun riding and learning!

You need to help yourself first before you can help anyone else.
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R [Haku]
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 [Kiku]

Quote Originally Posted by luukasama View Post
    Learn all the back routes to and from your work. Not only is that going to get you out of highway traffic, but you will be able to see plenty of beautiful views on your way that you may not have seen when you drove a car. Just make sure to allocate enough time on your trips depending on where you go, and don't be afraid to explore.
    Yes. Also, don't be afraid to allot some time on a non-work day to just go get lost. Bring a map and a cell phone (preferably with Nav, but the best roads sometimes don't have any signal), pick a direction and go. Avoid highways and ride until you're about halfway through your allotted time, then head back. This is a good way to get comfortable on your bike in unfamiliar surroundings, and a good way to find nice roads that you otherwise might miss. I wish I had more time to do this myself.

Once you do get on the highway, don't be surprised if you get pushed around by the wind. I am smaller and lighter than my boyfriend, and a lot of times feel like a reed in the wind.
    FWIW, this is the reason I moved up to my SV. I had a Ninja 250 for a few months, and my commute to work was all highway (or took about 2 hours on back roads), and I didn't like the getting-buffeted-around-by-wind feeling. It does take some time to get used to, but it sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a skilled, safe rider.

The offer does stand, if you want to meet up for ride, shoot me a PM and we'll go out. Plus I still have a couple spots left on the newbie ride. You'll do fine on it.

Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_E_D View Post
    KIST (keep it simple tony) Outside inside outside line within your lane adjusting for traffic and road conditions.
    I was keeping it simple...

DO NOT crowd the center line when traffic is coming - or when you cannot tell if traffic is coming.

Not getting hit by an inattentive driver that drifts over the center line is more important to the beginner rider than carving a perfect corner.

Now if the original goal of the Out, In, Out comment was merely to say,

"Late apexing corners allows you a better line of sight around a corner and can help you spot trouble in your corner - and your exit - earlier", then I would not have said a word.

Tony
    www.TonysTrackDays.com

This. Watched a Harley and a vehicle almost collide head on today, long story short he was riding the yellow line around a corner + suv riding the yellow line to go around a cyclist. Luckily they both swerved

Quote Originally Posted by aprilb View Post
    //. I went on a few busy 4 lane roads, but not a divided highway yet. Figuring I need to get more comfortable with my skills and the bike first so I can better adapt to the "winds" on the highway from other cars/trucks. Loving every minute of this motorcycle thing!
    A lot of riders tense up their shoulders and grip when it's windy, which is the opposite of what you want to do in crosswinds.

What helps is the grip the tank with your knees so you feel secure and can feel the bike moving, allowing you to respond quickly but in relaxed fashion to any crosswinds with your upper body.

Depending on the wind direction and speed, big trucks will create eddies behind them - even large SUVs may do this under the right conditions. So sometimes you have to drop back or change lanes to get clean air. If the bike is shaking, you're in their wake.

Especially with a head wind, when you pass a large truck there will also be a "bow wave" that will hit you momentarily as you pass the front of the truck. Expect it. - no big things.

When it's really hot is the best time to experiment with winds because the air has less mass. In the spring and fall as the air gets more dense you will see more people complaining about crosswinds.

If you would like to become really good at riding in crosswinds, just ride the Tobin bridge every day on a tall bike. Thrilling.

Last edited by Garandman; 07-05-13 at 12:44 PM. Reason: T

Rockland, Assachusetts U Know South Shore

On the highway, leaning into the wind a little will help with not allowing yourself to pull on the bars and provide less fatigue.

Gino
    HAWK GT Racer Expert #929
    2012 CCS LRRS ULSB Champion
    2012 CCS LRRS P89 Champion
    2008 CCS ULSB National Champion
    ECKRACING Bridgestone Street & Competition Woodcraft MOTUL On Track Media Pine Motorparts Vanson Leathers

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Great to hear. I'd like to introduce my girl to riding soon. Any tips that would help her?
    I loved being on the back of Mike's bike, but I wanted to ride and not just be a passenger. So it was my desire to ride rather than Mike's desire for me to ride. He supported me totally and even offered to take the safety course with me so I wouldn't be too anxious about it. He didn't have to as a friend wanted his license too and went with me, so my anxiety was much less going with a friend. Make sure she knows she is learning and not to pressure her. Mike was great with telling me the things I did well on a ride and then gave me only one thing to work on next ride since trying to address too much at one time would only cause trouble. If she picks up riding I'd be happy to ride together as I think being a beginner scares me from wanting to ride in a group with experienced riders as I'd be holding them back.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 Ninja 650

I was scared of highways too when I started out.

It's kind of ironic that highways always terrify beginners because of the speed and the wind, but once you have a little experience the highway is one of the safest places to ride. There's tons of open space and you can see everything easily. You're on a bike so you have the power to accelerate out of the way or brake faster than most cars even on a Ninja 250. On the regular streets you have intersections and oncoming traffic to name some of the most deadly things on the streets to motorcyclists.

Hurt Report Summary.

The Hurt Report was a 1981 study (the researcher's name was Hurt) that provided factual information on crashes and injuries. This debunked a lot of the lifestyle rider claims that helmets caused neck injuries, etc. Note that "The most frequent accident configuration is the motorcycle proceeding straight then the automobile makes a left turn in front of the oncoming motorcycle."

A later European study made many of the same conclusions.

A 1995 study in New Zealand studied "rider conspicuity and crash related injury" Their conclusions were:

Crash related injuries occurred mainly in urban zones with 50 km/h speed limit (66%), during the day (63%), and in fine weather (72%).

....drivers wearing any reflective or fluorescent clothing had a 37% lower risk ... than other drivers.

Compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk. Self reported light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk.
    No association occurred between risk and the frontal colour of drivers' clothing or motorcycle.

....The population attributable risks [increased risk of accident] are 33% for wearing no reflective or fluorescent clothing, 18% for a non-white helmet, 11% for a dark coloured helmet, and 7% for no daytime headlight operation.
    If you look through the studies you'll see the primary danger of street riding is left-turning vehicles. There aren't any left turns on the highway. Note also that the driver usually didn't "see" the motorcycle. This occurs so often that the Brits have a name for it: they call it "SMIDSY" for "Sorry, Mate, I Didn't See You." There is a physiological reason for this called "Looming." And there are things you can do (Along with wearing a white or yellow helmet and a hi-viz jacket).

Last edited by Garandman; 07-06-13 at 12:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by maxim_X View Post
    Don't do it unless she wants to. And unless you work well together, don't teach her. Also, if she can drive a stick shift car, that would likely help, as would having ridden a dirtbike (though neither are necessary)

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Executive Distributor - ItWorks! Global
    All-Natural Health, Wellness and Beauty www.kchristian.myitworks.com Supplements, Skin Care, Energy Drinks, and MORE!
    If you run into a wall with a helmet on, you still ran into a wall.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast