Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Learning with each ride!

Re: Learning with each ride!

What mzdagrl said. If you know how to drive stick, then it will be a lot easier for you to pick up riding a bike due to already having learned the concept of a clutch and gear shifting. Otherwise, it may take you a little longer [not that there is anything wrong with that]. Most importantly is that regardless if someone is teaching you or not, take things at your own pace and be patient. Instant gratification is good, but if you want until you're ready for the next step, it will be all the more satisfying.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    You need to help yourself first before you can help anyone else.
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650R [Haku]
    2007 Kawasaki Ninja EX500 [Kiku]

Quote Originally Posted by aprilb View Post
    Each ride I've taken since I purchased my bike last week has been a learning experience. I've become more comfortable each time. I had a couple moments where I target fixated and almost ran off the road, but thankfully was able to correct and avoid disaster. I just keep telling myself to look where I want to go to avoid future issues. I've become more comfortable with curves, especially the "long/sweeping" ones and able to carry more speed into/through them with a bit of lean to the bike. I went on a few busy 4 lane roads, but not a divided highway yet. Figuring I need to get more comfortable with my skills and the bike first so I can better adapt to the "winds" on the highway from other cars/trucks. Loving every minute of this motorcycle thing!
    It sounds like you're on the right path. If you can, follow and lead seasoned riders as that can be of great benefit to you. Following offers the chance to observe lines and body positioning while being followed allows them to coach issues before they become a bad habit. Enjoy!

5 Not allowed! Not allowed!

A fire in the belly or a passion to ride that cannot be quenched in any other way, is the only good reason (in this country/culture) to ride a motorcycle.

Riding because -- your friend rides, wants you to ride, you think it looks cool, you think it's cheaper, you think you're immortal, you got a good deal on a bike, it looks like a good party, you think it's safer, you think you have a natural ability -- these are not good reasons to ride.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by DucDave; 07-08-13 at 04:37 PM.
    "A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    It sounds like you're on the right path. If you can, follow and lead seasoned riders as that can be of great benefit to you. Following offers the chance to observe lines and body positioning while being followed allows them to coach issues before they become a bad habit. Enjoy!

Just remember though, just because you are following if you don't feel comfortable at speed for the conditions, always ride your ride. Nothing will ruin a good day out more than having to deal with someone who stuffed it because they out rode their talent or experience. Take your time and learn at your own pace, we've all been there and every good rider will never leave someone behind.

To add to Drewski's post, just because the rider in front of you can make a corner doesn't mean you can.

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
    Just remember though, just because you are following if you don't feel comfortable at speed for the conditions, always ride your ride. Nothing will ruin a good day out more than having to deal with someone who stuffed it because they out rode their talent or experience. Take your time and learn at your own pace, we've all been there and every good rider will never leave someone behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by G21forme View Post
    To add to Drewski's post, just because the rider in front of you can make a corner doesn't mean you can.
    Some of us learn this the hard way, unfortunately.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Just because the rider in front of you can't make a corner doesn't mean you can't ...

Quote Originally Posted by Cheese View Post
    Just because the rider in front of you can't make a corner doesn't mean you can't ...
    That's another good one! You one upping me bro? Nobody one ups me without consequences and repercussions!

That's another good one! You one upping me bro? Nobody one ups me without consequences and repercussions!
    He was going for two up.

Is this about guns now? <sarcasm>

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

Hi Greg!

Quote Originally Posted by Ken C View Post
    and this...

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/...-The-Pace-quot

(BTW, Version 2 was just published. I like the original better for it's brevity and simplicity. But V2 is worthy as well...!)

"A man who views the world the same at 50 as he did at 20 has wasted 30 years of his life.”
    Muhammad Ali.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12