Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

What to look for in a used dirtbike?

I'm kinda looking around at little dirtbikes (like 50s and 80s) just really to play around with.... But I don't know a whole lot about dirtbikes. Anybody know what kinds of things I shouold ask about/look for in a used dirtbike? Keep in mind, I'm not really looking for a mint condition bike, I'm looking for cheap but not gonna grenade itself the first time I start it up. Thanks.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    "Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Top ends need rebuilds regularly on the lower cc bikes. Pistons and rings are another common one. You'd wanna ask if the motor's been bored. They get tired quick. There are very few places to ride in Eastern mass and not all that many more out west. I would prefer a nice dual sport. I don't think you should mess around with those little bikes. They are really for smaller people (kids). I personally wouldn't ride anything under 250cc. I am a big fan of the XR650's, specifically the "R". It can be converted to street use with a lighting kit called Baja Designs. But make no mistake, it's a full-on race bike for the road. Not designed for MX, but a trail pounder and multi-time winner of the Baja 1000. It's really not something you wanna get into lightheartedly, because it could cost alot more than you'd expect.

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

Just to name a few items that woud give you a general idea of how well it was taken care of, chain and sprockets, forks, rear suspension, overall cleanliness of the bike, cold starting, engine oil leaks, check the oil drain bolt, oil filler plug... Like rye said, a 50-80cc bike prolly isn't even worth thinking about (unless you want a pitbike for the race track) A 125 to a 250 should be a good beginner bike that i'm sure you'd have alot of fun on

BTW if anyone is looking for a newer dirtbike, i have a 02 WR250 with 84 miles on it that i'd be willing to sell extremly cheap

Yamaha

The WR's are nice bikes. I was checking the 426 (I think that's the cc) out but they are $$$$$. Why you getting rid of it? and what's your asking price?

'95 ZX7/9
    '02 XR650R
    '78 KZ1000

matt,
    i rebuilt a honda 50 last year... its fun to play with.. but not a real dirt bike. and its a four stroke... not the typical off road toy.
    its a 72 and i learned how motors work for the most by playing with this one and getting help from TLRman. i still plan on rebuilding the top end this year and replacing the cylinder and piston with something bigger.
    it was just meant to be a goofy toy, but it fits in my back seat and i take it places with me all the time and ride around like a shriner.

you can come by and check it out some time. its hard to start in the cold, but its a blast in the little park behind my house and around mystic lake. it even wheelies like a little bastard.

hehehee

i dont think its quite as cool or as fast as the mini-moto's, but thats ok, its just a toy for me and it carries my fat ass around just fine.

Rye, i'm selling the bike for a few reasons. First being i'm fairly new to dirtbikes and what little free time i get to ride nowadays, i don't want to spend learning how to ride it well. I have a quad that is replacing it
    Secondly, i nead the cash to help pay off some bills

The dealer says he'll buy it for 4k outrite and he can prolly get me 4500 on consignment. At this point if someone gives me 4k, it's their's. I boght the bike new in August of 2002 ad have ridden it 3 times, with 84 miles, it's not even broken in yet

Yamaha

a day like today makes the 50 seem sooooooo much cooler than the mini-motos.... i dont think too may of them are even allowed out in the snow on days like today... and which one of them would have a clutch that could hold the weight and go fast enough to get the snowboard to jump off the banks on the sides of the road......

tee heee heee. i kill me.

Last edited by oreo_n2; 02-17-03 at 05:42 PM.

oreo_n2, where are you located? I think I'm gonna go look at a bike ( http://www.nedirtbikes.com/forum/classDetail.asp?id=241 ) this sunday, in attleboro, MA, and I was just wondering if you might be free to come with me, help me look it over... I haven't set up an actual time with the guy yet, so if you've got time constraints let me know. I think I'll give him a call tomorrow. Regardless, let me know if you're up for it. Thanks

"Balls," I said. "Never mind the track. The track is for punks. We are Road People. We are Cafe Racers."

- Hunter S Thompson

2 x 82 GS 650, '94 RM 80

Oreo', is that you?

Is this for real??

Matt, looks good.

Last edited by legalspeed; 02-19-03 at 01:02 PM.
    LRRS\CCS\WERA #486

yea thats for real. the little fifty can carry me with my roomate in his snowboard down the street. we had a grand ol time.

Matt... i dont know too much about the 2 strokes... all the motors i have played with are 4 stroke.... even my fifty. ... and attleboro is really far away. but i was thinking of heading to brockton this weekend to look at leather pants and a new helmet on saturday? maybe we could work somthing into that trip. attleboro is a lot closer to brockton than arlington. we also have some southern members that might be more helpful than i could be with a dirtbike?!