Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dragon Awareness

Dragon Awareness

The Blount County Sheriff's Office recently put out these pointers for riding the Dragon (aka US 129, Tail of the Dragon, The Gap). Some great thoughts and ideas about riding the Dragon specifically, but also some good thoughts for riding in general. Figured I'd share the link for all ...
    http://www.dragonawareness.com/?Aspx...ookieSupport=1

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    2016 Ninja 650

Lifer

Re: Dragon Awareness

Great post, I was there two years ago and saw multiple crashes in a single day of three trips.

While some will resist the idea that the Dragon is not a place to test yourself the way a racetrack is set up to permit less drastic results from "going in too hot and running out of talent" most will agree that this advice works on any road at any time.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

good info

2013 ZX6R-636

That's very nice of them. I actually enjoyed reading this.

These guys actually get it. That road is a boom to their economy, but they need to enforce some type of safety protocol. They did a good job.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

I condone their efforts. I dont agree with the stats though. Of couse there are going to be more incidents there than everywhere else...that road is why people come there. Send a 1000+ vehicles up and down an 11 mile (more like 8 since everyone stops at the overlook) on a daily basis compared to everywhere else and factor in the higher risk of even traveling that road with those 1000+ other people and the multiplier goes up.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by SVRACER01 View Post
    Wirelessly posted (GS3)

I condone their efforts. I dont agree with the stats though. Of couse there are going to be more incidents there than everywhere else...that road is why people come there. Send a 1000+ vehicles up and down an 11 mile (more like 8 since everyone stops at the overlook) on a daily basis compared to everywhere else and factor in the higher risk of even traveling that road with those 1000+ other people and the multiplier goes up.
    Their stats are at least better than the ones the journalists use down there. Friends of mine live down by the Gap and run PJsparts.com so they come across a ton of bikes and do even more riding. The media around them considers any accident on US 129 to be "The Dragon" even though it could be 30 minutes away from the twisties! So I can appreciate those stats better than the media stats. And don't forget all the crashes not reported - I've heard of guys dumping their bikes, crawling back up the hill, and hop on another's bike like nothing happened to avoid getting a citation.

2016 Ninja 650

turning water into watts Woodsy's Avatar

I actually operate the hydro power plants on the Little Tennessee river and have had to call in three med rescues this season. 2 motorcycles and 1 car. Super dangerous out there. Glad to see blount county putting this info out there

Lifer

The 30 MPH limit on that road is BS. Especially for bikes and cars.
    Those tickets written statistics are sobering.

Ok, I will be Debbie Downer.....

I wouldn't ride that death trap if you paid my way there and back...

Every single video I've seen of that area is a nightmare.

Hey, I ride fast. I turn hard. I definitely don't want dipshit Glenn and his work affair on their 'getaway' weekend plowing into my lane and leaving me without a leg. Fuck that. I fear that entire run is filled with Street Glide rentals and first year riders.....

Maybe I'm way off base. Maybe not.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by aprilb View Post
    Their stats are at least better than the ones the journalists use down there. Friends of mine live down by the Gap and run PJsparts.com so they come across a ton of bikes and do even more riding. The media around them considers any accident on US 129 to be "The Dragon" even though it could be 30 minutes away from the twisties! So I can appreciate those stats better than the media stats. And don't forget all the crashes not reported - I've heard of guys dumping their bikes, crawling back up the hill, and hop on another's bike like nothing happened to avoid getting a citation.
    I've ordered a lot of stuff from PJ for my Buell. I met him and Paige at the dragon a few years ago. Good people!

04 XB12R
    02 CBRF4i
    BearsDen.com

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    I have a great idea. Form opinions about everything in life from shit you read and see on the interwebz and yootoobe. Never, ever check things out for yourself and get a first hand view of a situation. Work entirely off 2nd and 3rd hand reports of the worst aspects of something. That seems like a solid way to make your way through life.

You aren't entirely wrong. I would describe your degree off-baseness as "mostly" or "almost entirely". The footnote is that there ARE street glide rentals and first time riders out there; just as there are anywhere. And there are ass-hats crossing the center stripe. There are 18 wheelers jackknifing their way around blind corners up the switchbacks taking up the entire road, part of a cliff, and a lot of the ravine next to them. And they have dropped the speed limits since the good ol' days and added some good ol' boy county sherifs who were not NEARLY as approachable as "dragonawareness.com" may lead you to believe.

But it is also one of the most exciting blocks of asphalt I've ever seen. Twistier than any road course I've ever been to. The road surface is well maintained. Many of the locals understand and pull right to let you pass. And it is about the closest thing I've seen to a motorcycling mecca. Tons of riders of every walk of life. I saw everything from blinged out street glide rentals to high end sumo's to ratty ass dual-sports to plated race bikes and everything in between. Sitting up on the overlook surrounded with riders of a similar mindset was fantastic. 500 times better than an evening at "bike night". Then you get to climb on the bike and rip back down the hill bankin' and crankin' the whole way. .. A really shitty way of livin'.

And just a few miles away there is the CherryCola Skyway; my idea of motorcycling heaven and mile after mile of giggity giggity sweeper after sweeper.

But by all means, don't go.

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by jwm2k3 View Post
    Ok, I will be Debbie Downer.....

I wouldn't ride that death trap if you paid my way there and back...

Every single video I've seen of that area is a nightmare.

Hey, I ride fast. I turn hard. I definitely don't want dipshit Glenn and his work affair on their 'getaway' weekend plowing into my lane and leaving me without a leg. Fuck that. I fear that entire run is filled with Street Glide rentals and first year riders.....

Spoken like someone who has never been.

It's so bad I'm looking forward to my 10th week down there next trip. Oh the humanity!

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by TheIglu; 07-18-14 at 08:19 AM.
    2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

ain't nuttin wrong w/that scubasteveRR's Avatar

Dragon Awareness-beware_of_the_dragon_by_ironshod-jpg

Quote Originally Posted by scubasteveRR View Post
    Dragon Awareness-beware_of_the_dragon_by_ironshod-jpg

thread title -> my head -> national holiday to raise awareness of these:

FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

Quote Originally Posted by Damnut View Post
    I've ordered a lot of stuff from PJ for my Buell. I met him and Paige at the dragon a few years ago. Good people!
    They are the best! Love them to death as they are the type of people who would give you the shirt off their backs if you needed it! Highly educated in motorcycles from how to ride to how to care of them to how to mod them out. Funny as shit too When I upgrade my bike next summer they will be one of my first calls to add some fun stuff to it

2016 Ninja 650

We went during the week. Very little traffic or Patrol cars. That road is just awesome and the surrounding roads are just as good or better depending on your taste. Best motorcycling roads I have ever been on period. Going back soon. The Dragon is awesome and then some.

Quote Originally Posted by TheIglu View Post
    Spoken like someone who has never been.

It's so bad I'm looking forward to my 10th week down there next trip. Oh the humanity!
    I've been 8 times, the first 3 were when the speed limit was still 55 and the road was in nowhere near as good shape as it is now

the first time I went in '99, within 10 minutes after I got there, someone came rushing back to CROT to call 911, nearly an hour later and ambulance arrived to scrape up the body, some guy on a harley that had been drinking

RandyO
    IBA#9560
    A man with a gun is a citizen
    A man without a gun is a subject LETS GO BRANDON

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by RandyO View Post
    ..some guy on a harley that had been drinking
    Out of pure, idle curiosity, how do we/they know he had been drinking?

Believe it or not, I don't remember a lot of sketchy behavior. Although I do believe I stumbled across the aftermath of a fatality.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Out of pure, idle curiosity, how do we/they know he had been drinking?

Believe it or not, I don't remember a lot of sketchy behavior. Although I do believe I stumbled across the aftermath of a fatality.
    it was obvious, they were just getting on their bikes when I arrived, I watched them finish their beers, the guy didn't even make it to the state line, this was when CROT was under the previous ownership, it was a much more sketchy place 15 years ago, camping on the lawn, dingy motel units, long before Ron Johnson had his setup across the street

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Excellent read April. Thanks for sharing that.

[SIGPIhttp://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic8737_4.gifC][/SIGPIC]

Screw you Colin....see ya soon

Lifer

Seriously man, it's a fun ride. Don't buy the hype. Every rider should see it at least once in their lifetime.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    Seriously man, it's a fun ride. Don't buy the hype. Every rider should see it at least once in their lifetime.
    while I don't think the overlook a particularly exciting place to hang out, I wouldn't avoid the dragon either as a thru way to get to a destination. I have spent much of my time in the area off the state numbered highways that most people seem to stick to, I would also like to explore more dual sport routes, I only started to explore them the last 2 or 3 times I went on vacation there

RandyO
    IBA#9560

Lifer

Randy. I have met you and I have met John. I feel confident in this assessment: His riding interests do not match yours.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast