Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Living With a RC8 R?

old guy with bikes

Living With a RC8 R?

I am contemplating a change in my stable. Downsizing a bit . While I was initially thing that I might go to a BMW 1000rr or Duc1199 I have begun to like the idea at at least of an RC8 R. I know there are faster bikes but the idea of a large Torqey V Twin with very adjustable ergo's is Very appealing. Does anyone here have experience living with one of these? How is the aftermarket? Anything to be wary of?

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Living With a RC8 R?

Crickets.

I've yet to see one one the street, at the track, anywhere. Too much bike for a guy like me anyways.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

I read that the Duc 1198 had 20 more pounds of torque than the RC8. If the 1199 matches or exceeds the 1198, I'd still go that route. The RC8 is a cool looking bike, but I'd be all over the Duc. My 2 cents

I don't know anyone with an RC8R. I have known a couple of people with RC8's, though, and they had tales of quality problems and poor response from the dealers about them. I've ridden the RC8 twice, and was not impressed (although, the list of improvements for the RC8R over the RC8 was exactly all the items I thought needed improvement, so maybe the RC8R is fine). I'd take a good testride to make sure before committing, and testride the Duc, BMW, Aprilia etc. to compare.

For a 2-cyl superbike, I'd definitely go with the 1199, though. Not much more money for a far more refined and advanced bike. (The 1199 has an aluminum tank, so the dreaded Duc expanding gas tank problem doesn't apply there).

PhilB

"A free man must be able to endure it when his fellow men act and live otherwise than he considers proper." -- Ludwig von Mises
    1993 Ducati Monster M900; 265,000 miles -- killed by minivan 30Oct17

I've got nothing to add other than I almost knocked one over with the hardon it gave me...

4 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Did you grit your teeth and try to look like Clint Fuckin' Eastwood?
    Or did you lisp it all hangfisted like a fuckin' flower?

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar
    Wirelessly posted (HTC EVO "DROID" )

Saw one on the road when I was in Vegas heading out to red rock canyon. I almost popped my pants.

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

Friend who has several Ducs and Bimota got a black one last year. He said its like a softer version of a Duc superbike. He put a fender elim but led turn signals required some reworking with a soldering iron.

2013 ZX6R-636

i do like that the rc has adustable rear sets. i have never seen so many ducati till i moved here.

go bmw. Flat black. then let me ride it.

Living With a RC8 R?-bmw_s100rr-jpg

Lifer

I toyed with the idea of getting one last year before i pushed it out of my mind. Seems like it fails in the qc department especally the older ones. I was also told it near impossible to get them fixed in any sort of timely manner from a ktm dealer. They just arent popular enough to warrent them having parts on hand and ktm has a limitied supply of parts to ship. I never rode one but did sit on a few. They really arent that expensive either if you shop around. Msrp ona new one was something like $17k but when i called around i could find them for $13k or less since they dont sell. No matter waht i think i would have ended up driving to pick one up. I think dirty jersey had the closest one for a disount.

First name on the shit list.... SVRACER01's Avatar

they have 2 at the concord ktm dealer. i was in there on wed. they have 2 2011s. one white one black/orange. both R's. the white one for some reason is like $2k more

When I start my KTM in the morning, rules are broken. Its inevitable...
    01 SV650S (RC51 eater)/07 690SM /03 300EXC/14 XTZ1200
    TRACKS:Firebird/NHMS/VIR/Calabogie/California Speedway/NJMP/MMC/NYST/Palmer/Thompson/Club Motorsports

old guy with bikes

One of the reasons I am considering a RC8 R is that I owned a 999 and I loved the bike, but at 6'1 235 it was torture to ride for more that an Hour at a time. after 4 years with it I sold it because I just didn't ride it. I would head out to the garage and take one of the other bikes cause it was uncomfortable to ride. For the record I love the IDEA of the 1199 but if I can't make the Ergos work it is pointless to me (no one has any on the floor to even look at any where near me) and if I am going to get rid of the Busa and the B King (as my wife suggests) I don't want just an expensive piece of garage art. I will look at the 1199 before deciding , but the two most appealing bike as far as ergos go are the BMW and the RC8 R

RC8R FTW. A street bike should evoke some passion when you look at it. The beemer doesn't do that at all.

Paul_E_D

Quote Originally Posted by nhgunnut View Post
    One of the reasons I am considering a RC8 R is that I owned a 999 and I loved the bike, but at 6'1 235 it was torture to ride for more that an Hour at a time. after 4 years with it I sold it because I just didn't ride it. I would head out to the garage and take one of the other bikes cause it was uncomfortable to ride. For the record I love the IDEA of the 1199 but if I can't make the Ergos work it is pointless to me (no one has any on the floor to even look at any where near me) and if I am going to get rid of the Busa and the B King (as my wife suggests) I don't want just an expensive piece of garage art. I will look at the 1199 before deciding , but the two most appealing bike as far as ergos go are the BMW and the RC8 R
    I'm 6', 215 and the s1000 didn't work too well for me. I'd be interested to try out an RC8R.

Based on journalists ride reports from the worldwide launch in Abu Dhabi, they said that riders who were 6'1" and even taller fount the 1199 Panigale to be was very comfortable. There are also several Ducati 1199 Panigale forums where taller riders have posted saying that the ergos are excellent. And, several taller riders posted after sitting on the 1199 Panigale at the various bike shows and all have said that the bike fits them well. Riding position is further forward and more upright, with rearsets positioned a bit more forward and lower. On April 27th Seacoast will be hosting a cocktail party/reception as Ducati rolls out the 1199 Panigale for the U.S. launch. Best way to know is sit on and/or test ride one, but from all reports it should suit you well.

2014 Ducati 899 Panigale
    2012 Ducati 1199 Panigale - lemon - repurchased by Ducati
    2002 Ducati 998S Bostrom - sold

Saw the Orange and white, and orange and blk today side by side. If only I was in a positIon to have to decide.

2013 ZX6R-636

Quote Originally Posted by backinthesaddle View Post
    Saw the Orange and white, and orange and blk today side by side. If only I was in a positIon to have to decide.
    where was that, and how much were they asking?

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    We have two of them up here at Land Air in Vermont.... not sure exactly what we would take for one, but I can find out for you.

Quote Originally Posted by WinVT View Post
    We have two of them up here at Land Air in Vermont.... not sure exactly what we would take for one, but I can find out for you.
    cool, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by burnham View Post
    Razees in RI. Just had sticker price listed and shipping.

2013 ZX6R-636

Rode a demo one today. Nice smooth power right from the bottom. Light feeling, comfortable and adjustable bars, rear sets, and subframe. Shifted nice. Also rode an 848 streetfighter just before the ktm and thought the ktm suited me better. Did some twisty back roads and a short run on a state highway. Maybe 20 miles.

2013 ZX6R-636

fwiw... i shopped around for a track bike and tried bmw (hp2 sport and ss1000rr), ducati (999, 1098/1198, 1199), ktm rc8r, and various japanese bikes. i'm 6'3" 215, with a tight hip (surgery). the best two fits by far were 1098/1198 and hp2 sport.

Now 2 friends have RC8R. One got his yesterday and is psyched.

2013 ZX6R-636

Nice. I looked at one yesterday and have been trying to find a good price on one without much luck. I think I'll end up with an RC8 or an RSV4.

Rsv4's sound is incredible, and has stupid power >8k rpm. Steering is a bit heavy.

Rc8 is absolutely gorgeous. Not sure about the ride.

1199 would be my choice purely on looks and innovative design. I'm sure the motor would live up to my expectations :-)

Last edited by darkduc7; 05-13-12 at 03:50 PM.
    CCS/LRRS EX #226
    LOW DOWN RACING

Current stable:
    2008 hyper 1100
    2007 crf450r
    2009 yz450f
    2008 sikk mx 125 minimoto

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast