Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Loading a bike in a pick-up

Re: Loading a bike in a pick-up

Quote Originally Posted by Kurlon View Post
    Careful with Canyon Dancers, especially on Ducs... the like to strip the throttle off the bar, breaking the locating pin in the housing.
    Seen the new style? With the 'cups' on the ends? I have those. Don't tear the grips up like old ones do.

I load/unload by myself all the time. I use two ramps. One for the bike and one for me to walk up/down. I do the throttle it up technique.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Quote Originally Posted by drinkingmymilk View Post
    No need to worry about a metal rope. Use a synthetic line.
    http://www.amazon.com/WARN-73599-Syn...tic+winch+rope

But seriously, just put the bike in gear and ride the clutch as you walk next to the bike.
    done this...bike slowed down, more gas given, clutch popped, ramp shot out one time, and bike burned out and slide sideways off ramp the other time...

yeah, I suck

Lifer

See that hook on the bottom of the ramp? That's where you attach the strap or bungie from the bumper or hitch so it doesn't "shoot out" from under the bike.

done that, rode up halfway, exhaust caught bed, bike revved, I panicked, bike stalled, dropped it and watched 450lbs tumble 4 feet and come crashing onto pavement with a fresh set of OEM fairings on a 1995 model yamaha

I really suck!!!

and unfortunately I'm renting an apartment and street parking the bike...can't store a trailer

I *could* just not haul the bike (it's only for occasional track days, and carrying the bike to the truck or bike dealer so I can ride/drive myself home without a ride)...or wait until I get a house and store a trailer, but a $100 winch is a lot cheaper than both!

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    Seen the new style? With the 'cups' on the ends? I have those. Don't tear the grips up like old ones do.

I load/unload by myself all the time. I use two ramps. One for the bike and one for me to walk up/down. I do the throttle it up technique.
    I didn't even know they made a new bar harness!

I'll try this...because with a winch, you need clearance or else the cable will hit the fairing/fender

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    done this...bike slowed down, more gas given, clutch popped, ramp shot out one time, and bike burned out and slide sideways off ramp the other time...

yeah, I suck
    If you're this clumsy a winch is not a good idea.

3 Not allowed! Not allowed!

If you only need it for a few track days, seems easier to ask if someone has an empty spot on their trailer that you could use for gas money.

yeah, I also thought about just renting a trailer for $20 on the *few* days I need to move the bike

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Does anyone have a good recommendation on a ramp to get for loading into the back of a 2004 Tundra 4WD? I've seen some tri-fold styles that can also be used as a gate with the tailgate down effectively extending bed capacity but they're pricey and I could get a decent used trailer for the same cost. But then there are some single folding ones taht are relatively affordable. I'm just not sure on size and strength needed. I guess I could do some measuring and stuff but I was hoping for an the easy fix where someone just tells me which one to get.

I avoid Cycle Gear when I can but this folding ramp has taken years of use & price was good. http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...amp/web1007423

I have a 2000 Tundra 4x4 & have loaded / unloaded full size sport bikes hundreds of times with this ramp.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by a13x; 12-13-12 at 02:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by a13x View Post
    I avoid Cycle Gear when I can but this folding ramp has taken years of use & price was good. http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product...amp/web1007423

I have a 2000 Tundra 4x4 & have loaded / unloaded full size sport bikes hundreds of times with this ramp.
    I have this same ramp. No trouble in the 2 years I've had it. Use it for a chevy 1500 4wd and chevy 2500 4wd. Grab two, one to walk up and one to put the bike one. ALWAYS strap the bike ramp to the bumper when going up and down.

Thanks guys! Even if I get two it is a better price than the tri-fold style I had looked at.

Last edited by Trickniner; 12-20-12 at 11:13 AM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234