Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Long way up

Long way up

Anyone check out “Long Way Up” on Apple TV?

Crazy electric harleys they are riding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Long way up

I started watching it. Its definitely cool but I did think it was a little silly that they had the company go through and install charging stations exactly at the end of each bikes range. Seems a little disingenuous to complete the journey and then proclaim it can be done. Then again, I need to finish downloading watching it on Apple TV. Maybe it will turn out differently than I'm anticipating though. I'm 4 episodes in.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    Last edited by 01xj; 01-21-21 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 01xj View Post
    I started watching it. Its definitely cool but I did think it was a little silly that they had the company go through and install charging stations exactly at the end of each bikes range. Seems a little disingenuous to complete the journey and then proclaim it can be done. Then again, I need to finish downloading watching it on Apple TV. Maybe it will turn out differently than I'm anticipating though. I'm 4 episodes in.
    I agree, I think this far the story has become about the bikes and not the actual ride, but interesting enough. But the infrastructure needed to support it is pretty silly though, and probably would have had less of a carbon footprint if they just used gas powered.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems a little disingenuous to complete the journey and then proclaim it can be done.
    I'm pretty sure that in Long Way Round (or was it Long Way Down?) they neglected to mention they brought a truck full of BMW spares -- and BMW mechanics -- with them on the trip.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    '02 Ducati 998, '08 Ducati HyperMotard 1100S, '14 Subaru XV Crosstrek

I thought they were pretty clear from the start that it wasn't possible, if not for the charger installs. I like the Long way series.

And riding across the country wasn't possible until gas stations were put in.

Nobody mentions that they are riding long stretches without power or gas stations available.....

Notice that on many occasions the bikes themselves were able to charge overnight from standard sockets, provided the place they were staying was actually on grid.

Saw the whole series. Like Long Way Round more, but it was better than Long Way Down. At least Ewan's (now ex) wife didn't impose herself upon this trip in a stupidest possible way.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

It was pretty interesting, but I miss the BMWs. Or just gas anything. It didn’t shy away from how problematic electric bikes could be, especially in cold weather. I feel like they gave Mexico short shrift.

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Yeah, Mexico was a pass. Doesn't really count if you just load the bikes into a bus and drive up the entire country.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport