Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Looking for advice on cheap dual sport

Re: Looking for advice on cheap dual sport

Go pick this pig 1986 Yamaha XT600 on/off-road dual sport - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale up for short money and learn to be a mechanic while you bring it back too life......Thats how most guys get Their mechanical knowledge and skill.

1 Not allowed! Not allowed!

This beauty queen 1995 Honda XR250R Street Title Dual Sport - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale is a great woods bike under all that black paint. Actually one of the better trail bikes you could get. ( I'm biased i ride an xr400)

pilot rock truck trail, arrow head, and big bear lake!

I've ridden all those spots...about a 2hr drive from me

but living 2 hours from the trails would not be a lot of fun to ride to/from...rather be in a comfortable truck seat for the 2 hour ride back after all that sweat and fatigue

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    FREE $10 UBER CREDIT W' PROMO CODE --> PON41
    1994 Yamaha YZ250 CA Street Legal 2-smoke :smoke:

I love my DR350, regularly see clean DR350S for small money on Craigslist. It's also peanuts to insure - I think I pay $3/mo. Simple and easy to work on, not a lot to break except maybe your foot with kickstart only dirt model.

I converted dirt model to street, but not exactly for cost savings, things tend to add up...

2 Not allowed! Not allowed!
    05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

thank you!

"cheap" on a dirt bike is actually expensive in disguise...everything does add up quickly...which begs the question -

why not just buy the setup bike out of the box?

and dirt bikes require quite a bit of maintenance/mile over a street bike....but be aware there are 2 extremes of those spectrum at the exchange of performance and weight

let us all know the *true* costs of maintenance and conversions....none of this "how much did it cost ya to rebuild it? couple hundred bucks?"

Last edited by breakdirt916; 05-28-17 at 11:46 PM.

Lifer

Hey kalifornia one, he said "dual-sports", not "dirt bike". Dual-sports are street bikes adapted to dirt use. Not nearly the same maint requirements. It is easy to find a dual-sport bought by someone, primarily street ridden (easy life) and then tucked in a shed for years.

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post

The DRZ is a 5-speed and it does suck. I spent my entire time with that machine trying to shift into a phantom 6th gear.
    I don think the bike will notice any difference with its new owner, then. Man, I wish it at least had a gear indicator. I'm gonna wear out the top of my boot and the shift lever...

Quote Originally Posted by bstnsboy View Post
    Go pick this pig 1986 Yamaha XT600 on/off-road dual sport - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale up for short money and learn to be a mechanic while you bring it back too life......Thats how most guys get Their mechanical knowledge and skill.
    This beauty queen 1995 Honda XR250R Street Title Dual Sport - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale is a great woods bike under all that black paint. Actually one of the better trail bikes you could get. ( I'm biased i ride an xr400)
    Did you learn NOTHING from my post?!

Suzuki DRZ400e auto clutch street legal dual sport monster drz400 - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale

Anyone got an opinion on this? Sounds pretty good, but the way the ad is written makes me a little nervous...

2019 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE
    2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

That's a desirable motorbike. Normally I'd avoid a 2000 or 2001 as they had the inferior damper rod fork. But I think the E model had the good stuff from day 1.
    E model has a tighter head gasket (slightly higher compression) and larger flat-slide carb. S has a smaller CV carb. Flat slides perform better but require more tuning. CVs tend to be more set and forget. I found a happy medium upgrading to a larger CV carb off a KLR650 for like $100. E model also has a plastic tank to the S's metal. Although I'm told both tanks somehow weigh about the same.

I'm not a fan of the auto clutches. But then I'm in the vast minority. YMMV.

Sounds like a reasonable bike for the $, especially this time of the season.

Worth making an offer on it, I'd say

Quote Originally Posted by nhbubba View Post
    That's a desirable motorbike. Normally I'd avoid a 2000 or 2001 as they had the inferior damper rod fork. But I think the E model had the good stuff from day 1.
    E model has a tighter head gasket (slightly higher compression) and larger flat-slide carb. S has a smaller CV carb. Flat slides perform better but require more tuning. CVs tend to be more set and forget. I found a happy medium upgrading to a larger CV carb off a KLR650 for like $100. E model also has a plastic tank to the S's metal. Although I'm told both tanks somehow weigh about the same.

I'm not a fan of the auto clutches. But then I'm in the vast minority. YMMV.

Sounds like a reasonable bike for the $, especially this time of the season.
    Yeah, I don't really know anything about the auto clutch. Doesn't really seem like something I would be interested in. So you just shift with no clutch?

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Lifer

He's probably taking about a Rekluse or similar. They're super popular with the woods crowd. Basically it's a centrifugal clutch that automatically engages and disengages. You don't have to pull the lever (although you can). The bike will (theoretically) not stall. This means you get get into a rock garden and just hammer, no need to work the left lever or risk stalling.

I'd do one if racing in the woods. But otherwise I prefer al-natural. It's been discussed at length on this side and the prevailing wisdom is I have it all wrong. (But I don't. )

Posted 13 hours ago and about 40 minutes from you for a grand:

97 DR350 Dual Sport - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post

97 DR350 Dual Sport - motorcycles/scooters - by owner - vehicle automotive bike sale
    Anyone know what the deal is with CT titles? He says it's reg'd but no title. Does CT not title after a certain age or under a certain cc?

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Also, any MA people have experience titling a dirt bike with a road kit? Is it a huge PITA? I know MA can be a little particular about titles.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Quote Originally Posted by Imbeek View Post

Nice deal if that's just a wiring fix!

Quote Originally Posted by Spooler View Post
    Anyone know what the deal is with CT titles? He says it's reg'd but no title. Does CT not title after a certain age or under a certain cc?
    Also, any MA people have experience titling a dirt bike with a road kit? Is it a huge PITA? I know MA can be a little particular about titles.
    I don't know about MA but in ME I just had to show a receipt for the street kit. That DR350S is already a street legal bike from the dealer so shouldn't be any issue there.

05GSXR75005SV65090DR350

A dr350s is a factory plated bike, so it's no more of a pita than any other motorcycle.

Cliff's Cycles KTM
    NETRA enduro B-vet
    Close your eyes, look deep in your soul, step outside yourself and let your mind go.

The issue in MA is the paperwork because it provides a way of verifying ownership.

If the previous owner has a street title (from any state?), Then you're fine...bring that to your insurance agent, get your RMV-1 to the DMV and get your plates.

Alternatively if you have a bill of sale AND a valid street registration from the previous owner (this is where VT is handy), same as before applies.

If you have neither, and just a bill of sale, can't be done without being issued a title or street registration from another state (can be done by "selling" to a friend out of state, getting the title, then "selling" it back to you).

Quote Originally Posted by Chippertheripper View Post
    A dr350s is a factory plated bike, so it's no more of a pita than any other motorcycle.
    I know, just asking about dirt bikes in general.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

Hey guys, thanks for all the advice. I found what I think was a pretty smokin deal on a 2003 XR400 in nice shape. Titled, only needs a speedo and rear blinkers. Rode it, seems great. Gonna pick it up next week.

2022 Husqvarna fe501s

rides bikes

I've got a cheap XT600 if you want it

rides bikes

That's mine. It can be had for less than that, but I have a lot of people lined up to look at it. I have 11 bikes stuffed into my 2 car garage, so something's gotta give!

Lifer

Quote Originally Posted by breakdirt916 View Post
    Alternatively if you have a bill of sale AND a valid street registration from the previous owner (this is where VT is handy), same as before applies.

If you have neither, and just a bill of sale, can't be done without being issued a title or street registration from another state (can be done by "selling" to a friend out of state, getting the title, then "selling" it back to you).
    I thought out-of-state vehicles which would not be titled by their current state could be titled in MA with prior registration and Bill of Sale. However, I can't completely confirm.

"The completed RMV-1 must be accompanied by one of the following documents: (..)The previous registration and bill of sale for vehicles that are exempt because of their age." Source

MA definition of age-exempt is pretty old. But I thought there was a separate exemption for out-of-state along the lines of 'if state won't title'. You'd still be required to title it in MA, which is really what most of that text is about.

For the extra cost and effort of getting a true street legal dual sport, you might be better off putting that money in to a small trailer and hitch. I think you'll be happier on the trails with a strictly offroad bike anyway. Less stuff to break and lighter.

Last edited by aldend123; 05-30-17 at 03:33 PM.
    nedirtriders.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast