Welcome to NESR! Most features of this site require registration, including replying to threads, sending private messages, starting new threads, and uploading files. Click here to register.

Looking for a dual sport commuter???

Looking for a dual sport commuter???

I'm considering buying a Dual sport as a fall/winter commuter. So far I'm considering either a Suzuki DR-Z 400 or Kawasaki KLX 400, most the bikes I've been looking @ around 03'-06'.
    Prices have been around $1900-$2700. It's main purpose will be street use through the fall and winter.

Anything I should know about either model? Pro/cons of either, I may also end up looking @ 650's. Also looking @ DR-Z 400SM but, I think they are a little out of my price range? Although I found one in Maine for $3K.

0 Not allowed! Not allowed!

Re: Looking for a dual sport commuter???

DR650. I can't recommend it highly enough. It can haul my fat ass along at 80mph bone stock, will return 50mpg, and is insanely easy to work on.

If you want to come check out mine sometime let me know.

KLR650 or DR650

don't even bother with one of the bikes you mentioned formostly street use.

2021 KTM Duke 890 R
    2016 BMW S1000XR
    1982 Honda CB750F Super Sport

My old KLR is for sale. He is giving it away and has the 685 kit installed along with lots of extras. Check it out. If I had the cash I would buy it back.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=485447

Bruce
    2007 VFR800 25th Anniversary
    2003 Honda RC51

MY drz 400s is fine will run 80 all day long

You just need to put in a carb kit from day 1
    seat is brutal if you don't do anything though
    I made a pad and Corbin has a highway seat as well

If its almost all road in the future then KLR but if you have any dirt plans then drz

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

The DR-Z400 and KLX400 are the exact same bike. The KLX400 was only around for a couple years and was the result of the model sharing between Suzuki and Kawasaki (Kawi briefly had their own version of the V-Strom as well).

For commuting, I agree with the others here: KLR650 or DR650. If you can find one, an older Yamaha XT600 would be perfect as well -- actually, it might be a bit better, as the XT600 engine had a little more grunt.

I just finished a 3500-mile tour on a Honda XR650L. On dirt roads and paved winding back roads it was awesome. For the few stretches of highway or 4-lane secondary road we had to ride, it sucked. Just not enough power. It would cruise at 70, but there wasn't really any power left on tap, and it was really buzzy. And gas mileage was terrible. So if your commute consists of minor roads (especially rough or dirt ones) and you want to use it for occasional dirt riding as well, an XR650L would be worth considering, but if you need to ride on highways with it, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you can talk yourself into spending a little more, you might consider a Husqvarna TE610 or BMW G650 Xchallenge. Both are a lot more potent than any of the Japanese 650 dual-sports.

Or just get a BMW F650GS (single, not the new twin) or V-Strom 650 (awesome commuter, great gas mileage, good on dirt roads as well with the right tires).

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe
    My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more
    Bennington Triumph Bash, Oct 1-3, 2021

What he said^^ the klx says Suzuki motors on the frame. I was not too stoked on my z. The motor was solid, but I broke it a bunch. I reverted a bit and now have an xr600r. Plated, of course. I have yet to find the perfect ds. Maybe the 600 motor in a ktm chasis... Something bulletproof with real nice legs...

Quote Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
    The DR-Z400 and KLX400 are the exact same bike. The KLX400 was only around for a couple years and was the result of the model sharing between Suzuki and Kawasaki (Kawi briefly had their own version of the V-Strom as well).

For commuting, I agree with the others here: KLR650 or DR650. If you can find one, an older Yamaha XT600 would be perfect as well -- actually, it might be a bit better, as the XT600 engine had a little more grunt.

I just finished a 3500-mile tour on a Honda XR650L. On dirt roads and paved winding back roads it was awesome. For the few stretches of highway or 4-lane secondary road we had to ride, it sucked. Just not enough power. It would cruise at 70, but there wasn't really any power left on tap, and it was really buzzy. And gas mileage was terrible. So if your commute consists of minor roads (especially rough or dirt ones) and you want to use it for occasional dirt riding as well, an XR650L would be worth considering, but if you need to ride on highways with it, I wouldn't recommend it.

If you can talk yourself into spending a little more, you might consider a Husqvarna TE610 or BMW G650 Xchallenge. Both are a lot more potent than any of the Japanese 650 dual-sports.

Or just get a BMW F650GS (single, not the new twin) or V-Strom 650 (awesome commuter, great gas mileage, good on dirt roads as well with the right tires).

--mark
    I'm surprised the XR650L did not have longer legs, I owned one briefly around 97'. And thought it would come close to triple digit area?

Really don't want to spend more $$ as this will be a second or third bike. It will literally get a WD-40 bath when the first snow fly's and that's about it.

Blah blah....the SM will be great unless your commute is all highway

EVERYTHING is a repost
    06 749R #0047
    08 R 1200 GSA
    13 Monster EVO 1100

hyjack

MY best commutter was my Burgman 650

Glen Beck is John the Baptist

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    I'm surprised the XR650L did not have longer legs, I owned one briefly around 97'. And thought it would come close to triple digit area?
    The XR650R will get up there (but it'll gulp a lot of gas doing so), and the XRL might come close for a 150lb rider, but 35hp is not enough to haul my 250lb ass up to that kind of speed.

--mark

'20 Triumph Tiger 900 Rally Pro / '19 Triumph Scrambler 1200 XE / '11 Triumph Tiger 800 XC / '01 Triumph Bonneville cafe

Lifer

hmm...now I want one! but just for fun

why do you want a dual sport as a fall/winter commuter?

it's going to be cold, knobbies suck on the street in general, more when it's cold (although the flexing warms it up quickly), dirt bikes are slow/underpowered on the street, you won't be riding in snow, and...well, it's cold!

don't get me wrong, I ride year-round like anyone else, but once it gets below 40, I'm not going faster than 30mph, and that's on a dirt bike riding on trails

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    knobbies suck on the street in general
    Conti TKC80s handle great on the street. And of course a DS used primarily on the street could always run more street-oriented tires.

dirt bikes are slow/underpowered on the street
    They're fine on secondary roads. A bit underpowered for highways, yes, but highways suck no matter what kind of bike you're on.

don't get me wrong, I ride year-round like anyone else, but once it gets below 40, I'm not going faster than 30mph, and that's on a dirt bike riding on trails
    ??? They make these nifty electric vests now that keep you toasty warm even when it's really cold out. Hell, I've ridden plenty (on the street) even without electrics when it was as cold as 5 degrees out. Just layer up.

--mark

Quote Originally Posted by Bhavesh View Post
    hmm...now I want one! but just for fun

why do you want a dual sport as a fall/winter commuter?

it's going to be cold, knobbies suck on the street in general, more when it's cold (although the flexing warms it up quickly), dirt bikes are slow/underpowered on the street, you won't be riding in snow, and...well, it's cold!
    I want something I won't feel guilty about getting covered in salt and snow.

I rode through last winter on a 73' CB 750K3 in the snow and @ 15 degrees w/no heated gear.

Doesn't really sound like you ride year round.

Last edited by duganc1717; 09-22-09 at 09:03 AM.

04 KLR 650 located in Somerville $2200

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/mcy/1385932477.html

http://www.nestreetriders.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic306_2.gif

Lifer

Oh, c'mon! No takers for this? Same price!

I just did a big ds ride Sunday, and there was a guy ripping it up with a klr. Obviously it's not as nimble as a ktm or a drz, but it was great to see this guy sling that thing around. And you know he was nice and comfy on the slab home too.

Quote Originally Posted by duganc1717 View Post
    I want something I won't feel guilty about getting covered in salt and snow.

I rode through last winter on a 73' CB 750K3 in the snow and @ 15 degrees w/no heated gear.

Doesn't really sound like you ride year round.
    now I feel I have to defend my honor

ygpm

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

xr650l or or r would be good. I see them on CL a bit. Last i saw an xr650l for 2500.... twisted throttle sells a windshield/fairing for it.

hmmmm......

DR650...

suburban ghetto living... black's Avatar

even better Dr 650 has a confy seat...and electric start... bullet proof motor

hmmmm......

obnoxious degenerate

nine times out of ten its an electric razor, but...every once in a while...its a dildo. of course its company policy never to imply ownership in the event of a dildo, we have to use the indefinite article "a" dildo ...and not..."your"...dildo...